Great weekend!!!

WNY Bowhunter

I was finally able to put a tag on an old warrior gobbler yesterday...

22 lb, 6 oz

9" beard (3/4 of it was "froze off")

1 1/4" spur (other was broken off @ 3/4")

IMG_13612bb.jpg

He's the second banded bird of my hunting career. Unbelievably, I killed a gobbler with band #N2280 back in 2008 and now band #N2281 today on the same farm. These turkeys were banded on a neighboring farm during the winter of 2007. That means that this dude was banded 5 years ago making him at least 6 years old!!! A true legend of the turkey woods!!!

aaIMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1333ff.jpg

The 2008 banded bird...

hjgvhj.jpg

What was left of his beard...

IMG_1368.jpg

The mag blends tore him up @ 40 yds...

aaIMG_1365.jpg

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

Took a couple of buddies out this morning on their father-in-laws farm that is absolutely covered up in birds. It's the first time that they've been able to hunt this season with their hectic farming schedule. To make a long story short...we were completely surrounded by turkeys and gobblers sounding off everywhere. The only time that I've ever heard so much turkey talk is on TV!!! My Halloran Twisted Sister coaxed this mouthy 2 year old and a jake out into the field @ 6:10 and my buddy was able to bust his head. He was super excited as it was his first turkey...20 lbs, 8 3/4" beard and 7/8" spurs.

IMG_1376.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

My uncle killed this bruiser about a half hour later a couple hundred yards up the field...21.5 lbs, 10" beard and 1 5/16 & 1 3/8" spurs.

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

I called another one in later in the morning across the road but the foliage was too thick to get a shot and he went around us and headed the other way. Seems like the hunting is getting better and the gobblers are really responding to the calls.

Congratulation on some nice birds there. I have only heard one gobble all year. I know there are a few birds around, but they are not talking. (7s) .I wish I was hunting in your woods. It is good that you got one for your buddies, now you will have to go out and get him another,good luck and shoot straight.

There's a phone number on the band that will put me in touch with the wildlife research dept. @ Penn State University. When I killed the first banded bird back in 2008 I called them up and they sent me a paper that stated when and where the bird was captured and how old it was when tagged. A percentage of the birds that were released had $100 reward bands which is just an little extra incentive to report the kill. Both of my banded toms were reward birds and I did recieve a $100 check for the first one. The reward on the one from yesterday expired back in July 2009 when they study ended. I will call them tomorrow and see what they can tell me. I do know that both gobblers were banded in 2007 on the farm where my buddy killed his bird this morning. Both of mine were taken on a neighboring farm 1.5 miles from the capture site. Actually, they where shot only a hundred yards or so apart...

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

Fine birds...Congrats big time..

BTW...Looks like beard rot rather than freezing on that thick beard..

What "beard rot" actually is is a melanin deficiency in the beard strands which results in weakening/breakage. Typically, the broken tips will be orange-amber colored. The beard itself is just a set of modified feathers that don't get molted like the rest of the feathers do.

Thanks guys. I'm still in shock a little bit over the whole band thing. I feel truely fortunate to have tagged such an old veteran gobbler. He'll probably be the oldest bird that I ever kill.

I can't wait to get back out after them in the morning!!!

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

What "beard rot" actually is is a melanin deficiency in the beard strands which results in weakening/breakage. Typically, the broken tips will be orange-amber colored. The beard itself is just a set of modified feathers that don't get molted like the rest of the feathers do.

Holy Cow! TMI.................................<grin>

There's a phone number on the band that will put me in touch with the wildlife research dept. @ Penn State University. When I killed the first banded bird back in 2008 I called them up and they sent me a paper that stated when and where the bird was captured and how old it was when tagged. A percentage of the birds that were released had $100 reward bands which is just an little extra incentive to report the kill. Both of my banded toms were reward birds and I did recieve a $100 check for the first one. The reward on the one from yesterday expired back in July 2009 when they study ended. I will call them tomorrow and see what they can tell me. I do know that both gobblers were banded in 2007 on the farm where my buddy killed his bird this morning. Both of mine were taken on a neighboring farm 1.5 miles from the capture site. Actually, they where shot only a hundred yards or so apart...

Awesome.

Did they tell you the approx. age of the birds when banded? If they were been banded in Jan, Feb, or March of 07 as jakes, the one you killed this year would be 6 years old? Damn.......

Keep us posted.

I lost the paper that they sent me reguarding my 2008 bird but they told me that he was a 2 year old when banded in 2007 and how many toms/jakes were banded at this location. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what I can find out. I figure that if he was a jake when banded in '07 that would have made him a minimum of 6 years old this spring.

I've shot two banded ducks, one goose and one pheasant. I don't recall what the deal was on the pheasant but still have the information regarding the ducks & goose.

Pretty cool when you shoot a banded bird. It'd be cool to shoot a deer with a radio collar. <grin>

Update:

Just got off of the phone with the lady from Penn State. My gobbler had 30 mm spurs (1 3/16") and had a little over a 10" beard when banded in February of 2007. Based on this, she said that he was probably 8 years old and is now the oldest reported bird in the banding study!!!

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

Update:

Just got off of the phone with the lady from Penn State. My gobbler had 30 mm spurs (1 3/16") and had a little over a 10" beard when banded in February of 2007. Based on this, she said that he was probably 8 years old and is now the oldest reported bird in the banding study!!!

Damn.......That is really something.

You gettin' your loot? <grin>