Nice Wide 8 point

sampotter

Finger Lakes, all over. Pretty decent population. A lot of 3 year olds. I know of 2 I think are 5 but one may have been picked off by a jack lighter a week or so ago. I'm trying to hold out for one that I just "know" I want to shoot. For some reason, this guy just didn't trip my trigger when I saw him, although I was questioning when reviewing the trail cam footage again the next day. I can't really decide whether he's 3 or 4 though. I know my Dad would be pretty excited to get him and he's clearly plenty active during the so-called October "lull", so maybe he can get a chance.

Is there a story behind that video?

Edit to add: never mind I see your above post. So the first couple clips were a trail cam and the shaky video was from the tree stand?

I'll be darned, I couldn't see the buck in the last clip but I'm looking via my iPhone.

Hopefully your father gets spoke at him.

Edited by Lawdwaz

I think you made the right call. That guy will pack on the mass and length next season. Probably a blessing you connected on the CT buck. Bet it made you think just enough to pass him.

I wish there were more bucks like that in the pipeline.

Could possibly be a 4yo but he looks like a 3.5 to me. In no way would he get a pass from me. He's a hard one to pass. I'll tell you tho if he makes next year he's going to blow. From the looks of your footage Sam only you know you passed him lmao. I just see movement in the distance :P

Those gopros are not good for hunting mho. Just for the simple fact they make a deer at 15 yards look like it's down the road

I think you made the right call. That guy will pack on the mass and length next season. Probably a blessing you connected on the CT buck. Bet it made you think just enough to pass him.

I wish there were more bucks like that in the pipeline.

You would pass him at 20?? He will Def blow no doubt next year but that would be a hard pass for me.

You would pass him at 20?? He will Def blow no doubt next year but that would be a hard pass for me.

If he doesnt meet the personal standard, he doesnt meet it.

Potter knew this deer already. Look at that body. I think he might be a super 3.5 potentially. His rack has serious potential for being a typical beast.

Oh for sure. I agree... If my neighbors were on the same page and in a qdm program I would think about it a bit but other then that he would hit the ground lol.

That deer has a very good ability to put some serious mass on and get some more height. He will be huge if he makes it

Oh for sure. I agree... If my neighbors were on the same page and in a qdm program I would think about it

That's it in my area. Our neighbors would be inviting all their buddies to drive the property relentlessly. That's if he didn't get shot at night from someone's truck window.

Cool Sam... I get the just not feeling it thing... I might have or might not have taken him just depending on how I felt at that moment.. hard to explain to others, but I get it... with my recurve I'm thinking I'd take a poke at him.. cool video for sure.

What time was sunset for you?

Would have been past time for me and the Dec chart has it past for you or close to it I think anyway.

According to the chart I had a minute or 2 to spare. There's a 24 minute difference between LI and Jamestown and I'm halfway.

Huge congratulations for passing on him. In my opinion (assuming you hunt decent ground), I sure wish more guys would be able to do the same. I too hunt decent ground with neighbors who all blast pretty much whatever they see... But that does not make me just give in and shoot deer that I know will blow up if he makes it to 4.5 or 3.5. And very often, it pays off. Sure, at times I eat "buck tag soup" but I never eat "tag soup" because there are doe I harvest. 

Bottom line, if it doesn't light your fire or challenge you give it a pass and you'll more often be rewarded with something that really lights you up. Who knows, maybe he walks by on another day and you decide to take him for whatever reason and thats great too. It's all relative to each hunter but I'm at a point where if it's not somewhere +/- 130" it's probably not going to get a trigger pull. But again, it's all relative based on your area, experiences, and desires on a given day/year. Congrats again and thanks for sharing.