So I inherited a Matthews .......help.

zeus1gdsm

Matthews solocam 50lb.

First off I'm ecstatic as I was going to be returning an old 70s bear whitetail hunter.

2nd.... I need some advice ..... I know I need to get it restrung as its set up for a guy 2 feet shorter than me... I'll in need a peep and release hook installed. What's a ballpark price that should run me?

Toss the stabilizer rod in favor of a shorty?

Is the arrow rest decent enough to keep on it? Or go full on whisker biscuit?

post-2523-14224914814079_thumb.jpg

post-2523-14224915069208_thumb.jpg

post-2523-14224915330172_thumb.jpg

before you spend a penny you need to see what your draw length is and see what the bow is set at. you can do all this at a quality Mathews dealer I think that you can still order any cam from Mathews incase the draw of the bow is not same as you.

• Like 2

That rest is ok for target shooting but not that great for hunting.  A good drop away keeps the arrow in place and ready to go.  Sounds like this bow is way to small for you.  Figure how much you will spend total with string, drop away rest, cam, quiver, etc. vs a new bow.  The new bows are vastly improved from bows 5 years old and older, you could trade that one in for credit. 

Go to a good bow shop and they can help set you up any way you go. Good luck and have fun shooting! 

New cam.... $75-90 installed
single Cam string set for BCY-X or 452X material.... $110 installed

G5 Meta Peep... $25 installed

QAD UltraRest LD....$110 installed

D-loop/nock point....$10 installed

Limbsaver S-Coil stabilizer....$19

so you're around $350 ish for a whole revamped setup.  honestly you can get the stuff a little cheaper if you order on something like eBay but shop won't install it free of charge.

Honestly from what I see, all you need is a new cam which might be expensive and hard to find because i'm not sure they make those cams anymore. IF you can swing the money that db said, then go ahead and do it but know that its not needed. Also most shops will replace the string and new cam at once and not charge any extra. Some might even throw in the loop knot for free if the string doesn't come with one. 

I'm 6'4. He's about 5'5.. The draw literally is about 6-8 inches from my nose.... ... We are talking a bow set for a short 80 yr old man here......

So apparently I'll need a new cam. As well. Good to know...

He's got a. Couple other bows I'll end up with.. One is a "1000$ " competition bow" so he says... He traveled all over the country shooting....

I'm hoping to keep 2 of the bows and make them serviceable and sell the rest.... Based on the responses it seems I was a little optimistic in the cost associated with refitting the bow to fit me and get it ready for the season.....

Just may end up fitting the old whitetail hunter as the draw length is correct. I'm headed up there this weekend to see if he has some sights laying around...

In the meantime I'll start looking into the recam.

Thanks for the advice guys.. I was thinking I just needed the accessories and a restring to fit me.

Edited by zeus1gdsm

Honestly from what I see, all you need is a new cam which might be expensive and hard to find because i'm not sure they make those cams anymore. IF you can swing the money that db said, then go ahead and do it but know that its not needed. Also most shops will replace the string and new cam at once and not charge any extra. Some might even throw in the loop knot for free if the string doesn't come with one. 

strings are the heart of a bow and many times if you replace a cam due a draw length change of that much the string and cable are different in length from what was on it.  I didn't add install cost to the prices as it's usually what you said.  you buy it from them at a set price and they'll install it for free, but really the price is a little higher to make this cost up.  many archery shops go through a middle man distributor too.  that's why you can find so many new stuff online cheaper.  you're paying for the service which to most is and should be a necessity.  D-loops are usually throw in at no charge but sometimes it depends on the day.

strings are the heart of a bow and many times if you replace a cam due a draw length change of that much the string and cable are different in length from what was on it.  I didn't add install cost to the prices as it's usually what you said.  you buy it from them at a set price and they'll install it for free, but really the price is a little higher to make this cost up.  many archery shops go through a middle man distributor too.  that's why you can find so many new stuff online cheaper.  you're paying for the service which to most is and should be a necessity.  D-loops are usually throw in at no charge but sometimes it depends on the day.

Wow those are some expensive strings if you didn't add the price of instillation. I just went through changing my DL on my Mathews from 26.5 to 28 and the cost of the cam, Instillation and a new set of strings was 170(180 with a tip) bucks. I did get the string straight from the guy who custom makes them. The break down was 50 for instillation, 60 for the string and 80 for the new cam. 

Wow those are some expensive strings if you didn't add the price of instillation. I just went through changing my DL on my Mathews from 26.5 to 28 and the cost of the cam, Instillation and a new set of strings was 170(180 with a tip) bucks. I did get the string straight from the guy who custom makes them. The break down was 50 for instillation, 60 for the string and 80 for the new cam. 

there's a lot of strings and string makers out there.  strings with different materials can sometimes be much cheaper as there's more demand for other materials.  BCY-X and 452X are some of the better most stable materials out there right now.  if you get a $60 string set you're paying someone to install it unless you know a buddy that can.  so like you said you're around $110 for your string.  I said that $110 string is pretty much the cost but includes hidden install costs, but they say that's the cost of the string.  as a dealer for a string mfg a shop gets it slightly cheaper but then has a slight makeup so they can make some money/pay for the person working there installing your string.  so you see it's not expensive at all depending on how you look at it.

Where are you? If you're in WNY go see Bill at Alabama Archery, he'll build you a string and cables and find you the right cam, a peep and a loop and you'll be good to go. Won't cost you nearly what you're thinking it will. That's a great rest, prongs are simple and reliable. I have the same rest only the newer version that Spot Hogg makes, they're bulletproof

Edited by The_Real_TCIII

there's a lot of strings and string makers out there.  strings with different materials can sometimes be much cheaper as there's more demand for other materials.  BCY-X and 452X are some of the better most stable materials out there right now.  if you get a $60 string set you're paying someone to install it unless you know a buddy that can.  so like you said you're around $110 for your string.  I said that $110 string is pretty much the cost but includes hidden install costs, but they say that's the cost of the string.  as a dealer for a string mfg a shop gets it slightly cheaper but then has a slight makeup so they can make some money/pay for the person working there installing your string.  so you see it's not expensive at all depending on how you look at it.

OK that makes more sense. I thought that's what you said originally but i guess u read your second post wrong. I got my string in the BCY-X material. 

Yeah its a switchback 50. Awesome reviews across the net... There's a Matthews dealer near me in Chadwick's... (Utica/rome area) I'll be giving him a call at some point to try and source a can if I can't find one on big auction site

good idea, for the cost of almost $200.00 to have new strings, cables and cams, or whatever it may need to fit you...if it's even possible, you can get a fully outfitted bow off a decent archery auction site for just about twice that..and in all honestly you'll save money in the long run.

Your rest is good. Personally I don't use a stabilizer, but they're fine. I have some monkey tails and other things that I'm not sure really matter but the tails vs a string stop were cheap. Get it looked at and tuned by a pro and you're good.

Practice is better than any and all accessories combined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk