Building my deer blind

Sweet, looks like something I use to hunt out of down south. Now all you need is to run some electrical wire out to it, install a refridge and a recliner and your set. :) Is their some kind of food source to get them near it. You build something that permanent you need a food source to keep them coming your way. Otherwise the first deer you wack out of it will make them wise up quick and they will just start going way around it, unless you have someone driving them to it. Down south something that big would be on a food plot, clear cut or overlooking a bait pile.

Edited by erussell

Great job. What we need now is some pictures looking out the shooting holes so we can see what you will be seeing. Another picture from a ways back so we can see the whole thing in it's setting.

Looks great!

A couple quick questions.......1) won't that metal roof be a bit loud for you in a light rain or the typical heavy rain ?<grin> 2) what are your dimentions, LxW, height, height to bottom of windows & interior height?? 3) can you stand up inside?

Looks great!

A couple quick questions.......1) won't that metal roof be a bit loud for you in a light rain or the typical heavy rain ?<grin> 2) what are your dimentions, LxW, height, height to bottom of windows & interior height?? 3) can you stand up inside?

1. It's better than getting wet! 2. It is 6x8 inside with 48 inches to the bottom of the shooting windows with a 1ft gap fpr the opening itself. 3. It is 6'2" to the roof from the floor. I fit and don't plan on growing any taller...

That's a great blind....if you have no plans for windows...I can tell you the "good" clear vinyl they sell at Joanne Fabrics would work well at keeping the cold wind and rain/snow out of it.....tack it to bottom of window and attach a rod and hooks at top of window....I see deer in your future... ;)

That's a great blind....if you have no plans for windows...I can tell you the "good" clear vinyl they sell at Joanne Fabrics would work well at keeping the cold wind and rain/snow out of it.....tack it to bottom of window and attach a rod and hooks at top of window....I see deer in your future... ;)

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out the store...I was thinkin Velcro to hold the bottom down..

Nice looking blind. I've been wanting to build an elevated blind the same size. I got some metal roofing for free from a roofing job. I think i can get some vinyl siding for free too and just spray paint it.

Are those 2x6's or 2x8's for the floor joists?

4x4 post or are they bigger?

How high off the ground is the floor?

Did you anchor your posts in the ground? I was thinking of sinking the posts in the ground 3 feet or so and using Quickrete.

Nice looking blind. I've been wanting to build an elevated blind the same size. I got some metal roofing for free from a roofing job. I think i can get some vinyl siding for free too and just spray paint it.

Are those 2x6's or 2x8's for the floor joists?

4x4 post or are they bigger?

How high off the ground is the floor?

Did you anchor your posts in the ground? I was thinking of sinking the posts in the ground 3 feet or so and using Quickrete.

Iused 2x8's for the band and put a ledger board on the inside of it. I then nailed and screwed the 2x6 floor joists to the band as they rest on the ledger board.

I used 6x6's for the bottom posts that the stand rests on and 4x4 posts for the framed structure. Two of the 6x6 are set in the ground because of the slope of the hill and the other 2 are sitting on rock. I'm going to quikrete the posts next time there...........

Some of you guys mention the free standing .and I have to tell you neither of my blinds are in the ground...and we have had some God awful storms hit this hill...tearing up large trees and downing power lines...the first is made out of card board and tarp....very light on a a 2x4 deck with 1x6 planks and 4x4 legs 6ft tall to deck...All I did was brace the legs...you'd think it would have flown away like a kite but brace position is every thing...the second is 8ft tall and I did the same thing but nailed the one board the ladder leans on to the pine treefor support...the blind it's self is 2x2 framing with 1/2 plywood sides....facing north west into the wind...just cut up a 12" diameter popular that snapped off right next to it two days ago....Braced that one with cut logs