Seriously??!!!

growalot

So I'm in the waiting room waiting for son to get out of surgery....this older guy was there...and I said I think I'd prefer music...The TV was on...talk show...so he starts talking ...which is what I wanted to pass the time...one thing leads to another..I said I don't watch TV ..I'm always out side..though I like the computer...he mentioned hunting ..I said I hunt...he says he got a new cross bow..I asked what kind...Martin...I ask draw weight He says 175...I ask is it hard to pull...He says yes...I suggest a rope cocker to lessen stress...he says he should have gotten a crank..I said I've bow hunted for years and just got a new bow last year....Next thing I know this guy is chew my head off...you bow hunters are greedy...get the best and longest times.... I never see deer...I mean he was on a rant...I finally said...listen your talking to a bow hunter and didn't I just congratulate you on your new bow purchase and give ya a tip? ....Really I was just passing the time...So he turns to...so I'm putting an ad in the paper...asking farmers with nuisance permits to share with me and give my phone #...That way I can hunt year around....Good luck with that... never know...pheww they came and got me.... :blink:

2 Funny, I had a guy at Suffolk Archers asking me to get into the whole nuisance permit thing saying how it is great to hunt year round. He shoots doe all the time, he says. I did not explain the fact that I hunt for mature deer as I did not think that he would understand...

Thanks...I just drove him home...took care of the dogs got meds in him...should be doing fine when he gets back from the surgeons office tomorrow.....the dressing is driving him crazy until then....he'll just sleep I hope...he's on enough meds....

I have to say about that guy....I don't think bow hunters are his problem...he hunts in Rush for crying out loud...you can barely blink with out seeing a deer....lol

You didn't give the guy the Hunting NY site address did you ? B)

Nope ...first statement was he didn't like the internet....have a feeling he didn't like a lot of things...had blk powder...didn't like ...I certainly avoided food plots :secret: ...and he had only one deer in his basement...the first one he ever shot......his brother but the horns on a plaque for him...no need for that nonsense....lol

..I said I've bow hunted for years and just got a new bow last year....Next thing I know this guy is chew my head off...you bow hunters are greedy...get the best and longest times.... I never see deer...I mean he was on a rant...

It's not the first time I've heard such stories. Maybe not all of them quite so much "in-your-face", but that same underlying theme. A lot of people think we bowhunters are really getting away with something and that it should be stopped. I have heard and read all the nonsense about how bowhunters are just "buck hunters" and how we thin out all the best bucks before they ever get a chance at them. Silly stuff, but there are more people out there that actually believe all that than you might imagine.

Your right...both of you...lol...I must admit...that the other thing I said when he said all you bow hunters get the best dates...during prime rut..."You know that the ruts about over before we gun hunters get a chance."...I let the last rut part slide...but said... Ya know I thought the same thing years ago ...and fixed it by going out and getting my bow license...go figure....He then went to the rack thing...lol but yes bow hunters in general are disliked a bit by non bow hunters...which is funny...it's your choice...the only ppl they have to really B--ch at is them selves....I was in my late 30's when I started and that was with a 45# recurve...not some young strong person..with perfect muscles and ligaments...around 37 years of injuries...dislocated shoulders and hyper-extended elbows...bad back and sprained...well nearly every joint I have...but It's what I wanted to do so I worked for it...That is what bugs me about this whole situation.....

Glad to hear your son is doing well.

Lots of different hunters out there, as long as hes doing it legal, well hey, more power to him. Its just too bad some people refuse to try something new and extend their season, and choose to complain about others that do it instead.

Im hoping to get a chance with a couple of DDPs this year, my freezer can always use a top off.

Actually, I don't believe his "ended rut" comment is exactly accurate. The truth is that the crazy disruption of gun season itself kind of drives it all nocturnal so that it seems like it is all over. At least that has been my experience. I have seen a lot of rut activity in the first part of opening day of gun season. But anyway, people will believe what ever makes them comfortable with their own lack of success.

• Like 4

Geez its just that easy to go out and kill the best of the bucks before the gun hunters getem huh??? Obviously hes never hunted with a bow before I guess, Or hes been watchin them TV shows to much. :negative:

Right-on with that thought about the TV programs. We sure do take a beating with the way bowhunting is portrayed on these shows. Between those hunter-heroes on TV and the over-stated advertisements for archery equipment, it's a wonder that we even have a bow season. That definitely is where these people get those wacked out attitudes.

Well if the people werent so gullible and fell so easilly for the hype, maybe they wouldnt think that bow hunters kill all the best bucks, etc etc. I

I can handle the above statement...the one that really tweaks me is

" GD bow hunters wound more good buck than I'll ever see!"

How many of you have heard that one before....so I'll admit...I ease-drop while in hunting Dept.'s...I've heard some whopper statements for sure

I guess peope will be people and they doi tend to be gullible. That is what advertising is all about, and I guess no one can dispute that it works. The TV hunter heroes and their producers simply use that gullible nature and make perceptions even worse by biasing the notion of what bowhunting is all about. And I suppose foir people that only gun hunt or don't hunt at all, that gullible nature may really be simple ignorance. I think there is probably enough blame to go around when it comes to depicting bowhunting as something it's not and then accepting it all as gospel.

I love how a guy will piss and moan about bowhunters taking all the deer first... and then in the next sentence says how he would love to hunt year round... yet he has chosen not to become a bowhunter and is missing out on the entended hunting time you get when you bow and gun hunt. It isn't like he doesn't have the option to bowhunt as well... he just chooses not to... and somehow that is the bowhunters fault..lol.. and I can promise him that I haven't been the one taking all the deer before gun season..:)

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 1

Hope your son does well. This is only starting in NYS. In Wash. state you can bow hunt OR gun hunt take your pick. get nothing in bow oh well your done for the year.

Out there the gun hunters hate the bow hunters,my good friend is past VP of wash. state bow hunters, its bad out there. They hate that bow hunters get the rut and its a battle to keep it. I think the fact that we can do both helps as most gun hunters I know are bow hunters as well, otherwise there would be a ton more like that ass.

Myself I do way better in bow,its when I take most bucks and fill the freezer at will, every year since '88 maybe he's got a point......or just a poor hunter !

Edited by Larry302