2012 Deer Hunting Season Dates

burmjohn

Anyone confirm if the 2012 Deer Hunting Season dates were released by the DEC yet? I see nothing on the website yet. From the proposal it looks like the following:

Southern Zone

Bow - Oct 1st to Nov 16th

Regular - Nov 17th to Dec 9th

Muzzle - Dec 10th to Dec 18th

Northern Zone

Bow - Sept 27th to Oct 19th

Early Muzz - Oct 20th to Oct 26th

Regular - Oct 27th to Dec 9th

Muzzle - Dec 10th to Dec 16th

Then there is talk about the youth hunt, which would be before bow for both Zones? Anyways, does anyone else have some info?

** Edit **

Here is a quick update from the DEC as of 7/10/12

John,

The October 1 Southern Bow opener is close to being finalized, and we should be issuing a news release on it very soon. The fate of the Youth Hunt is less clear; there is currently a bill, passed by both Houses of the Legislature, awaiting delivery to the Governor, that would effectively block the Youth Hunt from occurring, given the proposed regulation wording.

Art Kirsch

** Update **

DEC Announced the official dates:

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/10524-ny-dec-2012-deer-and-bear-hunting-seasons-announced/

The Whitetail Mgmt plan with the new opening dates & the youth gun hunt still sits on the DEC Commisioner's desk awaiting final approval.

Don't follow crossbow news, but I thought the current (2011) regulations & seasons were carried over through 2014...

They better get off their butts, licenses go on sale in 5-6 weeks & typically the regulations booklet is available then with any new updates.

With all the NYS budget cuts possibly the DEC Commisioner's position is vacant...?

Lights are on, but no one is home! lol

Edited by nyslowhand

Went to a party and got to talking to a couple of very unhappy ppl...years and years ago when young and stupid they got felony DWI...now can't hunt because of New law....reality is sinking in....DEC is going to be loosing $$$ or Cross bow sales will jump...some ppl still didn't know about new law....My prediction of things being very quiet during gun season in this area may not be far off....some going back to judges and trying to get special dispensation in order to get hunting privileges back.....

Living in Albany I get to hear all the legislative issues on the local access channel. As I understand it the legislator passed DEC recommendation to open bow season in southern zone on Oct 1. This was passed the same time as the extension of the crossbow bill. Which will allow crossbow use during the late archery season only. This works out for areas downstate that are bow only.(gives another option) the rest of the southern zone you can use muzzleloader during late archery. 200yrds vs. 60yrds. I'll use the TC. If needed hope to be tagged out before then.

usually the early ml season is also archery in the northern zone. I wonder if they changed that. Archers will cry we took a week away.

How so? Even if the dates John posted are correct a bow is still a legal implement to use during the whole season. So if any one cries about it they been crying about it for years.

I have used the bow during muzzle loader season. It is legal. A early or late season for black powder is still bow season... I think the DEC will have that in the regulations this year. Does not matter to me what they change for I will be in the ADK for opening of bow... Just wish I could get some snow this year for rifle season.

Living in Albany I get to hear all the legislative issues on the local access channel. As I understand it the legislator passed DEC recommendation to open bow season in southern zone on Oct 1. This was passed the same time as the extension of the crossbow bill. Which will (continue to) allow crossbow use during the late archery season only.

Posted this before, but here it is again.

Per eMail from DEC dated 6/18/12:

"The proposed big game regulatory changes are still pending executive (DEC Commissioner) approval. They never needed to be acted on by the Legislature. The public comment period ended May 21, but the commissioner still needs to sign off. Changes cannot be considered final until this happens. It is our hope this can happen in time for the changes to become effective this fall, the exact time line is out of our hands right now.

Tentative changes include:

- Youth firearms season Columbus weekend (statewide)

- SZ bow opening Oct 1

- Adjust NZ muzz and reg season start dates

- add late bow season in NZ

- Allow DMPs in NZ bow and early muzz

- add units 3A, 4G, 4O, 4P, 4R, 4S, and 4W to mandatory AR units

- Simplify description of area open for January firearms season to include Suffolk Co

- Adjust bears seasons statewide to stay consistent with deer season changes

- Correct a particular road name in the boundary description for WMUs 5A and 5C

Art Kirsch

Sr. Wildlife Biologist

NYS DEC, Bureau of Wildlife

6274 E. Avon-Lima Rd.

Avon, NY 14414

(585) 226-5461 Voice

(585) 226-6323 Fax

"

Here is a quick update from the DEC as of 7/10/12

John,

The October 1 Southern Bow opener is close to being finalized, and we should be issuing a news release on it very soon. The fate of the Youth Hunt is less clear; there is currently a bill, passed by both Houses of the Legislature, awaiting delivery to the Governor, that would effectively block the Youth Hunt from occurring, given the proposed regulation wording.

Art Kirsch