What would you do?

Deerthug

I just finished watching Dream Season The Journey on the Outdoor Channel. Two hunters came across two huge 10+ point bucks that were locked up with their horns. They were hunting these two bucks for a long time. Instead of shooting both of them which would have been legal being that they both had unfilled tags, they ended up roping the bucks and held them long enough to cut one of the horns to set them free.

These guys risked getting gored by both bucks to set them free. I'm not sure what I would have done if I was in that situation. What would you have done?

I didn't see the show...but I would have to guess it would take at minimum 2 guys to get these deer untangled. I guess my answer would have to be go find a few other guys & get them untangled. I can't see myself shooting a buck in this scenario unless the deer was truly in agony & to end it's suffering.

• Like 1

If I could legally shoot them both, I would. If I was hunting with a friend and we could legally shoot both, we would. No way I'm going to put my self in a dangerous position by trying to get the two bucks apart. If I'm out there to take a buck and this is the chance I'm offered, I'm taking it.

I would have tried to do what they did. One deer was close to 300 lbs, Bob Marley (the other deer's name) was well over 200lbs. I think they were the 2 best bucks on the property too. They waited until they both tired out to cut the drop tine off.

<<<< Dream Season Fan.

Edited by ELMER J. FUDD

After reading some responses above, if the bucks were tired out to the point where they did not move or thrash around, I would have called a buddy to help me try to separate them. I would not get up close and personal with them and reach down and try to separate them by hand. These guys used a pick up, a rope and a limb saw to cut off one of the horns. Then one of them reached down to separate them. That was a risk I would not want to take. Granted, if I didn't have the means or tools to separate them and I had unfilled tags, I would have taken them both.

After reading some responses above, if the bucks were tired out to the point where they did not move or thrash around, I would have called a buddy to help me try to separate them. I would not get up close and personal with them and reach down and try to separate them by hand. These guys used a pick up, a rope and a limb saw to cut off one of the horns. Then one of them reached down to separate them. That was a risk I would not want to take. Granted, if I didn't have the means or tools to separate them and I had unfilled tags, I would have taken them both.

Deerthug I think your fartherinlaw would have shot them then asked you to tag.Just joking with ya.
  • Like 1

I probably would have separated them also. A buddy and I helped a 5 point get his horns untangled from a fence once. The buck was tired enough it was pretty easy and it helped that I am 240#s, lol and was able to hold him down while my friend cut the fence of his horns. The dismount was a little tricky but we felt pretty good. Funny thing was is that it was rifle season and we had just returned from our morning hunt,in the woods either one of us probably would have shot him.

I would have filled a tag. I'm sorry if I can take a good legal shot at a 10 point buck I would do so. BUT assuming they were hunting outside of New York and most likely on a deer farm, I to would have done my best to set them free and continue to hunt. Here in NY fighting or not i'm going for a 10 pointer providing the right terms! Don't hate me if you disagree!!

Bill.

What would I do? I would try to separate them so long as I did not put myself in harms way. If I could not, I would leave them alone and come back later to check on them. Eventually one of them would be in a position where the other one could get free. Maybe one will die due to natural causes BUT I would not shoot one. This is called SHOOTING not HUNTING! Let nature take its course.

• Like 1

I never got the opportunity to see or hear fighting in my life. Mostly due to a bad buck/doe ratio im sure.

However, I can't help but wonder if I did all my post season and pre season and summer scouting, put in long hours hunting as usual, and call in a buck and somehow another one comes in as well and they start fighting around me and I got my bow, i dont know guys.... i mean I did hunt and call them in. I'd probably shoot one.

Now if I am walking miles into the Adirondacks, and happen to come across two bucks fighting, after never seeing a buck in 3 years... again... guess I would have to consider it in the moment.

Not like I'm walking around managed property with feeders in Texas ;)

It would depend on the situation and moment for me.

Edited by PostedBoys Gallego

Some how shooting a deer in that shape after along fight and in that situation does not seem very sporting or ethical to me. Maybe I just think weird, but just to say I shot a 10 point that was lying there incapacitated does not see much like bragging rights. But to each his or her own. As to what I would do, I would call the local DEC officer and report it and wait for them. Yeah you may shoot that 10 point but good luck getting them apart without ruining the antlers anyway, So you end up with a pile of sawed up antlers and some very stressed out high adrenaline meat, and would have to make up a lie about getting the deer unless you want to brag about killing not hunting a deer that could not get away.

• Like 1

If the evidence were clear that they had been locked up for a long time, and there appeared to be no way that they could ever free themselves, I think it begins to be more of a mercy killing than any kind of sporting activity. As far as diving into the middle of the battle and trying to do something up close and personal, that just ain't going to happen. Depending on where this scene was taking place, summoning some official assistance probably would not be practical even with a cell-phone. Ever stand in the middle of the woods and try to describe where you are to some stranger over the phone? ..... lol.

It would pose quite a dilemma, and I really don't have an answer as to what I would do. It certainly would be a shame just to walk away from the situation leaving them to die a slow and lingering death. But depending on the actual tag situation, your choices might be very limited.