Hunting Terms to Loathe

fasteddie

I can not even watch hardly any of the shows anymore. They are just so unrealistic and some of the celebrations, like Potts, just seem disrespectful. Kinda like the pro football players after a touchdown. Act like you been there, show some respect and humilty, sportsmanship maybe....

"Lung Butter"? ...... Lol ... that is probably a bit graphic for most. Another way of saying that it borders on unnecessary, excessive grossness.

"Ground shrinkage" is just another way of saying that the deer isn't quite as big as it appeared when you shot. That does occasionally happen because of distance, excitement, or whatever. I really don't think that is saying that the deer is worthless, or not worthy of taking.

Yeah, there are other things that we could get a bit disgusted by if we want to find something to bash other hunters over. I try not to nit-pick the language someone uses, especially after being successful. Some of the TV celebrations do seem a bit over-the-top, but to me that is just the way some people express themselves in the moment of excitement. I think I can put up with that a lot easier than those who almost seem bored beyond any sort of appreciation for what they have just accomplished. The only time I get a bit peeved at these TV actors is when it all comes off as being rehearsed and fake ethusiasm. Stan Potts (sp?) does kind of leave that impression. I always fear that he will have an on-camera stroke. That protruding vein in his forhead, and the pink faced, spit-flying tirade that he goes through every time he gets a deer is almost scary.

And then there is the use of the word "harvest". I have heard more indignation over the use of that word, and that whole issue doesn't even register on my "loathe-scale". Who cares? Talk about a tempest in a tea-pot. I use the term quite often myself and have never lost a minute of sleep over it. I guess I do view deer as a food source that is annually procured. Sounds a lot like a harvest to me. And if using that term makes the killing a little more palatable for those around us that don't hunt, I can't see any harm in using it. But the point is that if that is the worst thing that hunters have to argue with other hunters over, that probably is a good thing.

I will say that I have heard blood-trail descriptions that sound a bit overly gruesome. Kind of like the thrill of a serial killer at the sight of blood and gore .... lol. Sometimes such descriptions make me look around to see who might have overheard. But all of these things taken together probably do not rise to the level of "loathing". That's a pretty strong term.

I can not even watch hardly any of the shows anymore. They are just so unrealistic and some of the celebrations, like Potts, just seem disrespectful. Kinda like the pro football players after a touchdown. Act like you been there, show some respect and humilty, sportsmanship maybe....

the only one i ever watch anymore is midwest whitetail... they do a great job in my opinion of being super classy woodsman without all the bravado like most of the crap out there these days... oh and of course Micheal Wadell , he's a trip to watch lol...

man after reading some of those posts I can't help but say, " lighten up a little" geez... don't discredit the animal, but enjoy yourself , especially in a camp type atmosphere where a little friendly competition and especially a little s$%t talkin makes it fun for the whole group, and makes you look forward to next year at camp to see all your pals... I agree some go a little far with it, but don't dum it down to the point of hunt to survive and take all the fun and enjoyment out of it...

The best is when they're all sitting in a heated hut 20 feet off the ground with just a slit to look through and fit a gun barrel through... they end up shooting a buck a few hundred yards away... and when they show them in the hut they have head to toe camo complete with head net..lol .. no no.. wait! How about just after they shoot and the buck goes down 300 yards away near the feeder.. they are breathing so hard that you'd think they just ran a marathon... they are so excitecd that you think they might pee their pants... then they proceed to tell you "That was a tough hunt " and how hard they worked for that buck... :yahoo:

• Like 1

Some of the stuff on those shows makes me laugh, and a couple of the phrases in the article were funny, but I have to agree with deerpaasion, some guys need to lighten up. I dont get down on bended knee and cry about the deer I just shot, but I dont scream and squeal with joy either. Its usually a fist pump and a Yessss! Or something like that. Its not disrespectful, its my release of the tension and stuff built up before and during the shot. Now if I was kicking the deer, or saying "hey check this out" into a camera while I finished the deer off, then OK, thats disrespect. I watch a few of the shows from time to time, mostly D&DH or North American Whitetail, etc. I can only take so many commercials in a row though.

The best is when they're all sitting in a heated hut 20 feet off the ground with just a slit to look through and fit a gun barrel through... they end up shooting a buck a few hundred yards away... and when they show them in the hut they have head to toe camo complete with head net..lol .. no no.. wait! How about just after they shoot and the buck goes down 300 yards away near the feeder.. they are breathing so hard that you'd think they just ran a marathon... they are so excitecd that you think they might pee their pants... then they proceed to tell you "That was a tough hunt " and how hard they worked for that buck... :yahoo:

Lol, i just saw a video of a helicopter hog hunt and all of the guys were in head to toe camo. It made me scratch my head a little. If it was me in that helo in Texas, Id be in my shorts and T shirt. BTW, those helo hog hunts look fun fun FUN! Booya!

man after reading some of those posts I can't help but say, " lighten up a little" geez... don't discredit the animal, but enjoy yourself , especially in a camp type atmosphere where a little friendly competition and especially a little s$%t talkin makes it fun for the whole group, and makes you look forward to next year at camp to see all your pals... I agree some go a little far with it, but don't dum it down to the point of hunt to survive and take all the fun and enjoyment out of it...

I agree completely deerpassion!

Lots of good ones here guys and I agree with a bunch of them!

The one thing I hate seeing is the hootin and hollerin right after the animal is shot. The last thing you want to do is start yelling and screamin as you may end up bumping the animal even further. Once again a little respect for the animal you just downed, to me, is the most important.

I like the dialog where the buck is 150 yds out and he's walking toward the hunter. They say wait til he's closer... wait a little while longer til he's closer... wait til he get's a little closer.... wait til he turns... wait just a bit more... now wait... now wait... let him turn a bit more... there ya go... OK now take him.

Come on now... these guys have never sat in the woods of NY and had a nice buck come on by. Ya take him the first good shot you got. Anything could just make this buck take off in any direction and your left with nothing... a hot doe could come running out or another buck may come into the field or thru the woods. These shows are BS.

I think a lot of us are simply getting burnt out on these things. They used to be a novelty and it was kind of fun to see the hunt. And some of the comments and reactions that these guys put on the air were funny or interesting. But really, How much of that can you watch before you start getting a bit critical (perhaps overly critical). It's not like a regular TV program where you don't know the outcome. If you had to write a script for hunting shows it would be the easiest and shortest script in the world as well as the most repetitive. So yes, some of that stuff can kind of grate on you after a while. Like I said before, "loathe" is a bit strong. Perhaps it would be better stated that it can be mildly aggravating sometimes.

I like the dialog where the buck is 150 yds out and he's walking toward the hunter. They say wait til he's closer... wait a little while longer til he's closer... wait til he get's a little closer.... wait til he turns... wait just a bit more... now wait... now wait... let him turn a bit more... there ya go... OK now take him.

Come on now... these guys have never sat in the woods of NY and had a nice buck come on by. Ya take him the first good shot you got. Anything could just make this buck take off in any direction and your left with nothing... a hot doe could come running out or another buck may come into the field or thru the woods. These shows are BS.

You got that right. Fuss around too long waiting for a better shot and most likely the deer will be gone. In the TV shows the hunters could practically take a half hour nap and the deer will still be in the same spot. Then again when you stop and think about it, why wouldn't the deer stick around since the feeders are probably whizzing the corn out every few minutes. LOL

I don't care who is OK with the term "harvest", I know I am not. Big difference in plucking corn or a tomato in comparison to killing a deer. If "harvest" is acceptable for killing a deer, why isn't "harvest" used when cattle, pigs, chickens get slaughtered?? Harvest is simply a feel good term used to take the dirty word "kill" out of hunting to protect the sensitive ears of todays society who has lost it's understanding of reality. For this reason I hate the term.

• Like 1

My problem with these shows is that there is more attention paid to the hunter than the animal...

the fellas and gals on these shows may be well known for having a television show, but that doesn't necessarily equate to being some kind of hunting "guru"... many hunters look at these "TV hosts" as being the end all be all when it comes to hunting.. the truth is most are just regular joe's like you and I that have found a way to make it in the outdoor television world... I would challenge most of them to try an get the same hunting footage hunting in the ADK's or on NY public land. Having done the TV thing myself.. I can tell you that it's all about pleasing the sponsors... without them you have no show or the fleeting fame...

• Like 1

As long as we are picking on hunting shows, could somebody explain to me why a few of these guys are sitting there almost whispering while sitting there with their downed deer. What's that all about? It doesn't happen often, but I have seen a few of them do that.

And then there is that exclamation of "Look ..... I see him .... over there". That's all well and good, but there is a cameraman already positioned on the far side watching the hunters approaching from the far side. Maybe they should have let the cameraman do the blood trailing for them. He seems to have gotten there first.

And then there is that funky 1970's music that they use as the deer approaches the tree stand.

And then I have to wonder if they were to simply let a year pass and show the same TV season all over again, would anyone really know the difference. Talk about repetitive. Every one is exactly the same except for the deer being shot.

Oh well, we all love to pick on these shows, but yet even I find myself tuning in once in a while when there isn't a whole lot else to watch. They can still be fun to watch as long as I don't see too many of them in a row.

I don't care who is OK with the term "harvest", I know I am not. Big difference in plucking corn or a tomato in comparison to killing a deer. If "harvest" is acceptable for killing a deer, why isn't "harvest" used when cattle, pigs, chickens get slaughtered?? Harvest is simply a feel good term used to take the dirty word "kill" out of hunting to protect the sensitive ears of todays society who has lost it's understanding of reality. For this reason I hate the term.

Yeah, like I said before, if that is the worst thing we've got to argue about, I guess we're in pretty good shape. If somebody likes to use harvest instead of slaughter or kill or whatever, I have a real hard time getting worked up over that sort of thing. Hate the term? ..... lol .... I guess I have a lot higher threshold before I hit the "hate" level. It's pretty much a non-issue for me.

the fellas and gals on these shows may be well known for having a television show, but that doesn't necessarily equate to being some kind of hunting "guru"...

Let's face it, these guys have a show to put on every week. Their livelihood counts on it. And then they have to slit their time even furthner with personal appearances at trade shows and other events. They are not going to hunt the sam eway we do. They need help and lots of it. Fair chase? weel that sounds real good until your livelihood starts getting involved. Then I'm sure that scouting and stand setting all goes out the window. A little assistance from finding the deer to dragging it out is all but a necessity. Do they know anymore about hunting than we do? .... Well maybe from just being in a hunting situation day in and day out and conversing with hunters constantly, there might be some knowledge that seeps in through osmosis, but I think for the most part, if they were tossed out here in the real world without their staff, and pre-arrangements, they might be at a bit of a disadvantage.

But don't be too hard on them. They have large egos to feed along with a family to support. They are just doing what we demand of them. Shortcuts are what keeps them in business.

I found that most of the TV people are very knowledgable about certain aspects of hunting.. especially shooting skills... both gun and archery... they are well versed on all aspects and are usually exceptional shots. They also need to fit into the "circle" so to speak... it's a hard circle to break into... most of these TV celebs don't take the kind of hunting you and I do seriously... they think it's beneath them to trudge through the mud and snow in search of a good buck... I've hunted with many of the older celebs and they refused to hunt and film without someone to guide them, preset their stands, and make sure they have exclusive access to areas with bigger bucks... Chuck Adams killed his world record archery elk after other hunters were denied access to the same elk weeks prior by the outfitter.. it was fair chase... but he and he alone was set up for the chance to kill that elk... it's very possible that had the other hunters not been denied access to that area reserved for Chuck.. he never would have killed it... that's just some of the things that happen i guess when you're famous... One of the things that turned me away from staying in the "circle" was the egos of many in the industry. Just wasn't my cup of tea... I like regular guys.

Edited by nyantler

Mixing passion and business works for some and not for others.

I've known and spoke to a share of hunting tv personalities and some can flat out hunt. Others, not so much, but just like any profession (paid to do this as a career), there's a bell curve in effect. I couldn't imagine the pressure of having provide something that is not guranteed...and that leads to the whol driver of the industry...gotta film the kill of a mature buck/animal for the most part. 13+episodes a season takes some serious work.

Those that can mix the passion and business seem to really shine. Those that don't, get divorced, cover fences as fair chase, etc.

I made the mistake once of sitting down with my boy to show him a little bit about shot placement and reading body sign of a deer. Everything I explained to him was completely wrong rigth from the first show to the last according to him. Sadly he was sorta right if he agreed with the jackasses on the tv. Always said to him while bowhunting I never shoot when the deer is looking at me, dont take quartering too you shots, aim for the pocket behind the shoulder etc. When the we were done he looks at me and says well the only thing I learned was you were wrong lol. They all shot with deer looking at them, some shot with deer quartering towards them and all of them either gut shot or spined the darn deer. I was watching Ted Nugent show last night from out of boredom and he shot this doe that was quartering away. Dont ask me how but he literly stuck an arrow just in front of the rear leg, arrow penetrated probably half the arrow shaft at best and angled forward. Couldnt believe how short a distance it supposedly traveled and he is all pump up saying on tv that it was a perfect shot and the angle of it penetrated its heart. LMFAO not unless that arrow was about 48 inches long it didnt. Hunters get a bad rep and this crap sure doesnt help the matter. Amazes me how everyone of those shows the guy is jumping up and down whispering while having convulsions at the same time explaining to the camera it was a perfect shot every time, and then the next day in different clothing they show him recover the thing.