Fixed vs Mechanical

thelep

Im getting ready to buy new broadheads and am looking for some feed back. I have been considering the Trophy Taker Shuttle T-locks but have recently been thinking about mechanical as well. I have looked at the Grim Geaper Razortips but im not even sure if they are leagal in NY, by the looks of the pictures i dont think they are. If anyone has some suggestions as far as fixed vs mechanical or tips they like id be interested in your input

I shot many types of fixed set-up, usually the cheap ones, and found that they flew much different than the target tips. I switched to Rage mechanical broadheads, 3 in pack and 1 dummy for practice in box, and found that they flew much like the practice tips. I do like that product and have killed a few deer with these. they also release from the target or animal pretty easily.

2 blade rage mechanical broadhead.

Nothing but fixed cut on contact for me too. Since '88 both my bows shot them the same as field points as any bow tuned correct will.i think 2 maybe 3 times i did not have a complete pass through with the arrow sunk 4 inches into the dirt .pull it out wash off sharpen use to kill the next one.

Me likey simple, and deer that die in sight of stand.

Edited by Larry302

I'm trying the 2 blade Swhackers Mechanicals this season. The broadhead test comparison video convinced me to switch from Rage and T3 to Swhackers.

I'm trying the 2 blade Swhackers Mechanicals this season. The broadhead test comparison video convinced me to switch from Rage and T3 to Swhackers.

I ordered some on EBAY and will give them a try this season . The 2 Blade Rage have worked well for me in the past .

i always used fixed (steel force) but went to a rage 2 blade 3 years ago as i like the slip cam action, resulting in no problems on a hard angle shot. Shot a doe at about a 70degree angle and it slit a 12in entrance wound. best mechanical i've shot. though there are more out there now with a slip cam action as well. I would stay away from flip or punch open mechanicals.

I have like 15 still in the box, over the years I have purchased a few dif types. I like the fixed blade for my knocked arrow but I keep mechanical in my quiver. Up to 45 yards they both seem to fly straight for me with my old bow. Will test out the new bow soon... Fixed blades were hard to get out of the quiver and seemed a little more dangerous for still hunting with a back quiver...

I like fixed, I used tricks last year and was pleased with them. I picked up some muzzys this year and some no name (Allen i think) heads. I also picked up some shwackers (cheap) just to play with but i don't know if i will shoot them at game.

I would really like to pick up some of the ulmer edge heads. Everything i have seen impresses me more than any other mechanical i have seen. I have played with rage, spitfires and some other over the top mechanicals which i have not been impressed with.

I stumbled across this test thread on Archery Talk the other day. One of the better ones i have seen - VERY EXTENSIVE.

Real Deal Broadhead test

Test results spread sheet 70+ heads tested so far.

I shoot rage 2 blades & Love them I was using nap 3 blades (don't remeber which model) rubber band fold backs lost 2 deer with them. have killed 4 deer now with the rage & have not had 1 go over 70 yards I am only shooting about 55#'s last one was a 53 yard shot. I know there have been a lot of complaints on the 3 blades but have not had an issue with the 2 blades. Just make sure you keep the O-ring lubed as the blades won't stay locked in if they are dry & the Rage do fly the same as my field points

I have shot Rocket Steelheads for years with no issues.

I have lowered my draw weight because of shoulder problems and will be using Magnus Stingers this year.

My current favorites. These little heads are tough as nails, accurate as field-points and open every time. I LOVE them!!!

IMG_0790jj.jpg

I've shot slicktrick mag 100's for several years too and still carry a couple in my quiver. IMHO, they're the best fixed blade head on the market and leave big holes...

slicktrickhole-1.jpg

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

My current favorites. These little heads are tough as nails, accurate as field-points and open every time. I LOVE them!!!

IMG_0790jj.jpg

I've shot slicktrick mag 100's for several years too and still carry a couple in my quiver. IMHO, they're the best fixed blade head on the market and leave big holes...

slicktrickhole-1.jpg

Given that we share so much in common perhaps I should come over to hunt with you in Steuben County. :)

The bow shop I purchased my new bow from recommend the Grim Reaper mechanical blades. It is a 3 blade head. it came with the "dummy" blade to shoot and make sure it is sited the same as your field tips. I have NOT shot a deer with the new blades yet, but the "dummy" shoots exactly the same as my field tips. Reading everyones posts, I am a bit nervous on these Grim Reapers now. They seem solid (and when I broke one, the company replaced it no questions asked, which was good Customer Service). hmmmm.......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The bow shop I purchased my new bow from recommend the Grim Reaper mechanical blades. It is a 3 blade head. it came with the "dummy" blade to shoot and make sure it is sited the same as your field tips. I have NOT shot a deer with the new blades yet, but the "dummy" shoots exactly the same as my field tips. Reading everyones posts, I am a bit nervous on these Grim Reapers now. They seem solid (and when I broke one, the company replaced it no questions asked, which was good Customer Service). hmmmm.......

Trying the 3 blade grim reaper whitetail specials this year, practice head seems to fly true just like my field pts. Have read mixed reviews on these broadheads, waiting to see the real results on a deer of my own.

IMG_0790jj.jpg

slicktrickhole-1.jpg

So the heads in this photo are "rocket steel heads?"