2012 Bow Hunting Harvest Thread

burmjohn

Congrats on the doe. Iwill throw in a little shot decision hate but no need to debate, just giving a little advice to a young hunter for next time. 30 yrds quartering towards is pretty risky. You got the job done with a very good shot but maybe a bit more patience would have got you a broadside or quar. away. You younins' are always in a hurry. LOL Relax and let the good shots come to you.. Glad you made it all work out. congrats

Congrats on the doe. Iwill throw in a little shot decision hate but no need to debate, just giving a little advice to a young hunter for next time. 30 yrds quartering towards is pretty risky. You got the job done with a very good shot but maybe a bit more patience would have got you a broadside or quar. away. You younins' are always in a hurry. LOL Relax and let the good shots come to you.. Glad you made it all work out. congrats

I agree, COngratualtions and I'm sure you are a good shot but you start factoring in unknowns like her jumping the bowstring and that narrow window that you did hit becomes a wounded deer. Once again congratulations but I avoid those risky shots.

• Like 1

Back on topic.........

I killed a doe yesterday. 15 yards, coming to grab one of the last apples on the ground from the tree. East wind dictated using one of my favorite stands. East wind and a little drizzle.........works almost every time!

Spent a few hours taking care of business due to the warm temps. Hang, skin, run to town for a couple bags of frozen water, quarter, bone, bag (2.5gal ZipLocks) put on ice in cooler, clean up, wash up, change, drop off hide at friends, dispose of parts, beat feet for home.

IMG_3393.jpg

• Like 3

Congrats ! nice doe....what a large head she had!...Good eats

Yes, she did have a large head. Body size was not huge, that's for sure. She was a 1.5 year old I'm figuring. No milk, so no chilin'. I was hoping some little ones would stroll in but no luck. <grin>

(I do tend to make them look little though with my over sized frame. I've been told I'm just short (really) for my height. I should be 7'13")

<grin>

Funny stuff Lawdwaz, Congrats on that nice Doe. It sure does make things alot easier when it's in the 20's when you shoot em' though doesn't it. You can just hang em' up and work on the meat when you get around to it. Not so in these temps though..

Nice deer all...healthy looking herd if you went by this thread.

I agree with BGF, we all want ideal shots, but when there are a pile of tags to fill it you think about anatomy and you take an ethical kill shot and be prepared to track...I harvested one quartering toward on October 6, he was only about 7 or 8 yards away and I knew I could get it done.

Also had to quarter mine, though this mid-October did actually provide some good hanging/hunting weather, unlike most of last season entirely.

My wife has been away on biz so I haven't hunted since mondee morn, took the opportunity to get the bow restrung and dialed in a new set of arrows. Ready for Archery Season part II (and a second and third harvest would be nice).

Anyway I'm pickin her up at the airport in 2 hours so I should be back in the AM overgrown orchard stand in about 9 hours...that AM stand was smoking hot last weekend, with about 12 sightings in less than 10 hrs.

Edited by 7J Everyday

After 9 days of hunting in PA that was almost a total bust until I got this with only a few mins of light left. The exciting part to me was this was the first time in 18 years of bow hunting that the deer didn't know it was hit. She jumped and ran about 10 yards and looked around for about 4 or 5 seconds and her legs went stiff and she flopped over.

post-2485-0-21135200-1351218320_thumb.jp

• Like 2