Live From the Stand 2012

WNYBuckHunter

Little on the foggy side, I always imagine a nice buck working through the fog but that never happens to me. I can prob count on one hand through all the years I even saw a deer in the fog.

The sun is trying to make its way through the over cast and it's starting to lift.

Got about 80 mins til I should head in and relieve the wife of daycare for a bit...still getting occasional strong whiffs of tarsal.

Yeah well if I don't score I'll just go home and have some fresh eggs and some early 2012 venison sausage for brunch. Thank goodness the first one is in the freezer.

Edited by 7J Everyday

What a morning! Didn't have enough battery on the phone to do a play by play so here's a brief summary.

Putted up the hill on my four wheeler to the same brushy island I use as my parking spot before walking to my stand. I no sooner started walking in the darkness (of course without any flashlight) and and got that "what the heck is watching me feeling". Needless to say, I wasn't wasting time getting to my stand when all of a sudden a coyote started barking at me/ four wheeler or both. It was REAL close!!! Way too close!!

So I shift into fourth gear and must have looked and sounded like a semi-truck coming up that hill. A feeling of relief as I grabbed the rungs of my ladder and scampered (as much of a scamper a guy my size and age can muster" up the ladder and into my stand. After getting settled in, I turned on my phone to record the continuous barking from the coyote.

And then much to my unhappy surprise this foolish thing had followed me up the hill. Now it was directly in front of me on the ridge and opened into some of the loudest, spookiest howling and barking I ever heard. I wish I could figure how to put it one here for you all to hear. I played it for my wife and pretty much sealed the deal that she will never go hunting with me no matter how much I beg and plead at this point. LOL!

On the deer note: two fawns walked under my stand and stood broadside in front of me. Their momma came through about thirty yards away and passed by quietly. Then a four point buck came through the woods, walked up to one of the fawns and sniffed it, then turned came directly to me, stood at the bottom of my stand looked up at me as I stood there with my bow in my hands helpless to do anything. As he was looking at me I watched him (out of the bottoms of my eyes) trying to avoid that eye to eye thing from happening but no deal. I watched his facial expression go from clueless, to "huh...what's that", to "oh $&!T...I know what that is .....I'm outta here" And as he was leaving, I drew back just in case he stopped as he was now quartered away from me, but when I drew back he and then fawns all bolted up the hill.

A few gray squirrels, one noisy red one, two female grouse being followed by a male grouse who was all puffed out, fanning and right behind them trying to impress them with his good looks.

An excellent morning on stand!

Edited by New York Hillbilly