Just had to off a doe in front of house

phade

Have deer run through yard to corn field across street. Saw them pass through, string of 7+ does. Walked past fron window and noticed them on the other side of road...sure enough...truck...splat.

RUn outside, guy rolls down window and asked if I had a gun. See doe in middle of road, head up, quiet, but hurting. Pretty obvious what had to be done.

Grabbed the .22 ran back and put her out of her misery. She couldn't get up...back legs were done.

Guy wanted to report it for insurance since there was some good damage to his new Silverado. Told the guy not to let them know I shot her...didn't want to get ticketed (ethics vs. law be damned here...she had to be put down). He said no problem, she was hurting, it had to be done.

Guy gives the operater his name...and it turns out he just bought a family member's house. Then I realize...he's an offduty trooper and his wife is a sherrif (he never mentioned, but I know this from my uncle telling me).

Awwwkward. Nice guy though.

Edited by phade

Thought off duty where required to carry - could be wrong, but all I know do.

Required to carry when practical, some examples of when not to carry are, to and from the gym and while at the gym, swimming pool or anytime that would make it difficult to safe guard a firearm and while being unfit for duty due to intoxicants or any renue serving alcohol while not serving in a duty capacity

I was not in a position to take the meat. My freezer is full and I don't have the time to process it due to work obligations. At that point, I was just doing what needed to be done. I do believe he was going to take it...he is a gun hunter from what he said. I didn't stick around for when the local cop showed up to write the report.

The deer was dragged about 100 feet or so under the truck before he was able to stop fully and pull over. He was soing 55 or so...on the cell phone, too. I actually saw him on the phone as he passed by right before impact because i was look at the deer.

Edited by phade

My grandfather is a road-kill connoisseur, and also a hard-ass korean war vet...when he uses flintlock he never reloads on a wounded animal, he just gets the knife out for a back jumpin' throat slicin'.

As for wounded road deer, if he doesn't have the knife a tire iron always helps them "die nice" in his words.

Edited by 7J Everyday

Most roads kills I have had experience with are NOT worth eating..Too much bruised and bloodshot meat..

Once in awhile, a critter that just gets clipped in the head might be an exception.

If they are suffering, put'em away... I have finished off several over the years..It is the humane thing to do, whether legal or not...If some day I do that and get ticketed for it, I'll just take my medicine, pay my fine, and then do it again the next time if the situation calls for it..

Most roads kills I have had experience with are NOT worth eating..Too much bruised and bloodshot meat..

Once in awhile, a critter that just gets clipped in the head might be an exception.

I guess it depends on what you define as not worth it...I don't pick them up personally, but my pop seems to have a good eye for them.

Though admittedly some just get burried after they are caped and evaluated, typically he says that usually one side is good and often recovers 3 of 4 quarters...like I said though, not my bag either, though I have never tasted bad meat over there.

Edited by 7J Everyday

Sometimes the road kill doesn't sound good but usually there's a fare amount of good eating.One will never know if they don't skin,or take the time to do so.I myself take that chance and I don't care what anyone thinks my gain and their loss.I should mention this is fresh killed.

A while back my brother splattered ( I mean splattered) a doe. The trooper showed up to take the report and must of had a list of people to call to take road kill, because an old woodchuck showed up. He talked to the trooper for a while and then started to drag the deer toward the back of his truck. I got out and helped him load it up. I asked the guy if he thought it was even worth taking and he said " theres still some eat'n there" So I guess you never know, depends on the person.

You did the right thing phade.

Ive put down many deer that have been hit. A few times its been with LEOs right there. They would rather not have to do the paperwork involved in discharging their firearm, and just stopped traffic while I put the deer down and dragged them out of the road. I never take them, as Im not into picking bone fragments out of meat that Im trying to process. Maybe if it was a deer that I had seen get hit and the car only struck its head.

I ve had to do that a few times, however I usually call the local PD and ask the dispatch if I can do it to save an officer from doing it. They usuallly say that its ok. I have only took the carcass once. Nice fawn maybe a year old tasted great I got alot of meat outta her.