The worst happened yesterday

NYbuck50

Was out yesterday morning.. beautiful SW wind, first cold spell. One of those perfect mornings. About 7:45 i catch movement, and see a wide 4 pointer coming down the trail.. Thats about where it all went wrong .. I waited until he was behind a tree at 15 yds to stand and draw. pin low behind his shoulder. At the shot i saw my lumenock'd arrow deflect right off of an unseen twig and the arrow hit above the guts and what looked like under the spine. The deer hauled ass from there as i began to feel more and more terrible. After 3 hours i got down.. with no exit hole, blood was minimal at best. few drops every 10 yds or so. i tracked him for 8 hours until the rain started then walked the ridges until dark.. he never bedded down and the arrow never came out.. I've only lost one other deer that Ive hit in 18 hunting seasons.. It never feels any better.

Edited by NYbuck50

That stinks but based on the description of where you hit him he could live. My brother shot a buck two years ago that looked normal but when I was dressIng him I found a broken arrow and broad head between the stomach and spine. There was all tissue grown around the arrow. It is amazing how tough these animals are.

That stinks but based on the description of where you hit him he could live. My brother shot a buck two years ago that looked normal but when I was dressIng him I found a broken arrow and broad head between the stomach and spine. There was all tissue grown around the arrow. It is amazing how tough these animals are.

That's why you have to be careful when field dressing deer, especially larger deer.

Loosing a couple myself over the years I can say that I agree with Joe12 on this one. THEY are amazing survivors!

You did all you can do, it happens to the best of us. Hold your head high for going after him, you did the right thing...

Amazing how much a small branch can deflect a arrow. After shooting a bunch of test arrows through brush I have come to the conclusion that you need a perfect flight path for bow, IMO. After loosing multiple arrows shooting though brush I came to the conclusion the only brush I do not have to worry about is the leaves about a foot away from my prey. Otherwise I have to have a clear shot to prevent arrow deflection.

Now get out thier and shoot another one!!! Looking forward to your success!!!

Sorry to hear that buddy, you tried hard to recover that deer it sounds like. Don't beat your self up.

I shot a 6 pointer during gun a few years ago, butcher found a broad head about a half inch from his spine with a bunch of scar tissue grown around it.

That deer will probably make it.