Shot at a huge 8... Please tell me I'm not crazy

Geno C

Long story short since I'm typing on my phone, I had a 130 or low 130s 8 point come in at the buzzer just as I have myself another 10 minutes of legal shooting time. I watched him for about 6 minutes, I was very calm watching him while I waited for my shot. He started to turn giving my the perfect shot after. 6 minutes of waiting. I was already drawn and had now off to my side as I inspected if my cams were going to hit the rail when I released, I took 2 steps back on the stand settled in and released.

Here my question, as soon as the arrow made contact with the deer I big spark occured. It was not a rock, no rocks insight. Heard 2 thuds, the deer then the log the arrow was found in. Will a broad head make a spark on bone? I'm sure I hit high, very high. Thinking it nipped the spine barley. No blood on arrow but hair on head was found. I would shave after inspection said I nipped high and the deer will live another day. However when he bounded 30 yards he stopped stared into space with a tucked tail for about 3 minutes. He made a gargle sound and took a few steps, he gargled again. He did this every few feet then walked up a ridge. I'd say I missed so to speak but that sound threw me off! What do you guys think? I backed out after finding arrow and no blood. I will be back there in the am just to double check things over.

Well, I can't say for sure your not crazy, lol. But a broadhead will not spark on bone. The only thing I can think of other than a rock is maybe something to do with those rage broadheads opening??? Don't know. If there is no blood on the arrow and you think you hit high maybe it just nicked off the spine. Maybe a arrow nicking off his spine made him make some noises after the shot. Give a good look around tomorrow and good luck.

High lung hit most likely, spark maybe from carbon arrow on fur, static charge if it was dark enough. Give him some time for lungs to fill blood will have to come out nose mouth... push and no trail to follow till they fill.. best of luck my friend!

Sounds like maybe a gut shot? I shot a deer a few years ago high and back through the stomach. Didn't leave any blood, just clear liquid. Found hair all over and stuck in broadhead. I called deer search and they instructed me not to attempt tracking and they would be out in the morning. Maybe give them a call???

my left & right was right there... i def did not hit back it was high if anything. there was 2 sounds, connection with the deer then hitting the stump. i can see the arrow spark as it what appeared to make contact with the deer. the no blood on arrow with hair on head made me believe it was very high hit and that deer was not even phased. when he bounded im thinking go down you bruiser go down. After 15 seconds and hes still standing im like what the?? then the series of gargles he made within the last 5 minutes of me seeing him made me think i made contact. i have never been so stumped before.... im very good at playing back the events of my shots but can not make heads or tales as to what the heck happened to him. i do know i am up about 25-30 ft in a tree he came in with the wind heading up the ridge to me. the shot angle was very steep calculating the tree height and him being a bit low on the ridge, i should have held lower on him. i crossed all my T's except that. i watched where he went so i will see in the AM. so dejected right now its not even funny...

Well, I can't say for sure your not crazy, lol. But a broadhead will not spark on bone. The only thing I can think of other than a rock is maybe something to do with those rage broadheads opening??? Don't know. If there is no blood on the arrow and you think you hit high maybe it just nicked off the spine. Maybe a arrow nicking off his spine made him make some noises after the shot. Give a good look around tomorrow and good luck.

the head was not even phased... not bent at all, perfect condition. alls i know was it was fully deployed as intended when i retrieved the log

You have hair you hit him, wait and look in am. Steep shot even high will still get into high lung, on opposite side. Take the hair and compare it to a mount u have at home, or check online for comparison chart, hair tells a lot even if you doubt the shot arrows do funny things if you hit bone. The hair will tell....

You have hair you hit him, wait and look in am. Steep shot even high will still get into high lung, on opposite side. Take the hair and compare it to a mount u have at home, or check online for comparison chart, hair tells a lot even if you doubt the shot arrows do funny things if you hit bone. The hair will tell....

other factor greg that i cant get is, why no blood on the arrow then?

"Sethro02' when you test the rage titanium extreme turn the light down a little,when the stainless steel blades deploy and hit the titanium ferrule you see a very bright spark.pretty cool lighting up a deer in low light with them." Geno your shooting the Rage Extremes I believe? I found this on Archery Talk.....probably explains the sparks

Long story short since I'm typing on my phone, I had a 130 or low 130s 8 point come in at the buzzer just as I have myself another 10 minutes of legal shooting time. I watched him for about 6 minutes, I was very calm watching him while I waited for my shot. He started to turn giving my the perfect shot after. 6 minutes of waiting. I was already drawn and had now off to my side as I inspected if my cams were going to hit the rail when I released, I took 2 steps back on the stand settled in and released.

Here my question, as soon as the arrow made contact with the deer I big spark occured. It was not a rock, no rocks insight. Heard 2 thuds, the deer then the log the arrow was found in. Will a broad head make a spark on bone? I'm sure I hit high, very high. Thinking it nipped the spine barley. No blood on arrow but hair on head was found. I would shave after inspection said I nipped high and the deer will live another day. However when he bounded 30 yards he stopped stared into space with a tucked tail for about 3 minutes. He made a gargle sound and took a few steps, he gargled again. He did this every few feet then walked up a ridge. I'd say I missed so to speak but that sound threw me off! What do you guys think? I backed out after finding arrow and no blood. I will be back there in the am just to double check things over.

Not to be a bummer never killed a deer with no blood on arrow,, They are meant to cause massive bleading as you know,, Hair not good. High back strap, still blood on arrow ..Sounds like a miss confusion to me ,,