Opening Day Hangovers

RTF

When I was a teenager many many moons ago, I remember a few guys in my fathers hunting party being pretty hung over come opening morning. Getting them up and out of bed in the AM was nearly impossible. Back in those days opening day was always on a Monday.It seemed the same guys year after year would party it up the night before in the local bar bragging about the big buck they were going kill the next morning.I guess it was the one time of year they all got away from thier wives, kids and jobs and wanted to live it up. However it greatly effected their hunting and most if not all went home empty handed. And oh ya, back in those day DMP's were called party permits and you had about 4 guys assigned to one DMP.

Although I was too young to drink back in those days and never followed the same foot steps of the old gang, I just hope in these days we dont have hung over hunters in the stand during deer season and those days are behind us.

Edited by Clifford

I really would have to research it. But I do know that leaving the can in the woods is littering. I personally have never dealt with it. I would guess not but am not sure as long as the consumer is 21, and his bac stays below the legal limit. But it for sure is stupid. If I recall, a couple years ago there wasa thread about this and it was surprising the number of people who admitted to taking a nip on the stand to "keep warm" I am sure it is not illegal. If ti were it would say so in the guide. All there are are strong recommendations not to.

Edited by bubba

We took a pick up truck load of little brown Genesee beer bottles off our property when we moved here...and other neighbors have found the same bottles around their lands....still finding them when we did the resurvey ......The one hunting camp that was next door was the source......but they were gone 3 yrs after we moved here...no more problems for many...Sad they just couldn't enjoy being out in the woods clear headed

I really would have to research it. But I do know that leaving the can in the woods is littering. I personally have never dealt with it. I would guess not but am not sure as long as the consumer is 21, and his bac stays below the legal limit. But it for sure is stupid. If I recall, a couple years ago there wasa thread about this and it was surprising the number of people who admitted to taking a nip on the stand to "keep warm" I am sure it is not illegal. If ti were it would say so in the guide. All there are are strong recommendations not to.

Yes, I remmber that thread I was amazed at the number of hunters who took a drink while hunting.

I like a drink as much as anyone, but I do not think alcohol and hunting mix well. Quickest way to ruin a hunt is to drink too much the night before. Legal or not, I do not think one should drink while hunting...or handling firearms for any reason.

I can't see drinking, i would get hurt as my walk in, it so uneven from the tractors path, the rocks they move to the side. I do find cans there and a few plastic bottles, they are old but they are soda drinks.

a couple yrs ago i found some old brown bottles out there surprised they were still intact.

Edited by paula

Years ago I would run across guys in stand downing a beer. I stayed clear of them. Drinking is fine at my camp, I like my beer, most of us just have a couple and off to bed by 10. It's a different story wen your in your 20's now that we are all nearing middle age sleep is more important!

Section 11-1203 of the NYS ECL states Hunting while intoxicated or impaired by drugs is prohibited.

This does not mean drinking while hunting is illegal, just being intoxicated is. So as long as you stay below a 0.08 you are legal, unless you are impaired. Then it does not matter what your BAC is, but they must provide good reason for believing your impaired. I am not saying I approve of drinking while hunting, just that the law you reference indicates it is legal.

Edited by KEVA

I'm usually hungover the second day of southern tier gun. We usually spend the night if opening day drinking and catching up which turns into be being up too Damn late. Killed a deer two years in a row like that. Even been know to take a celebratory nip off the flask AFTER a kill in the woods. No drinking turning during hunting hours though.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I spent over a week at the cabin for ML and 2 days rife this year so far and only stayed in 1 morning because I felt I was still too fudged up from the night before.I did go out later in the day.But more than 1 day did I go out not feeling very well....asprin is my friend. :)

As far as drinking in the woods during hunting....not on my land.

Edited by Single_shot

I don't think anyone would condone being drunk in the woods while hunting.

I've been to southern deer camps, where drinking was part of the deal. Now, mind you, it was at camp, not hunting, and no firerarms or bows were handled. Most often it was done while playing some cards and just BSing. As long as it is in control, I see nothing wrong with it. I never once saw a reason to be concerned in all of my time there, and that club had 40 members.

It's all about personal responsibility. The older I get, the more I value sleep during hunting season....and I'm only 31. When I was 20-25...that was reversed, but I have never been drunk or even buzzed in the woods.

Section 11-1203

1. No person shall engage in hunting while he is in an intoxicated condition.

2. No person shall engage in hunting while his ability to engage in such hunting without creating unreasonable risk of injury or death to himself or other human life is impaired by his consumption of alcohol or use of a drug.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, they don't say anything about hangovers ..... lol.

It's been a long time since having a "good time" with the real consequence of feeling like crap the next day had any attraction at all to me.

Absolutely don't care what others others do, but when their drug of choice starts noticeably changing their personality and actions, I'm out of there. I will have had every bit as much of a good time and know how I will feel the next day. I never quit drinking - just don't hardly ever do it any more.

Personally I never cared to drink . I would get sick instead of feeling good plus I never cared for the taste of alcohol so I consider myself lucky .

I was invited to camp with some guys several years ago . this is what they told me they do ......

Day 1 --- Get up early and hunt , come back to cabin , eat , go back out to hunt come back , eat , play cards and drink .

Day 2 --- Get up hunt , come back to cabin , eat , those that want to go back out do , the others play cards and drink .

Day 3 --- anyone who wants to hunt gets up and goes out . The rest eat , play cards and drink .

I didn't go

I never saw a need to drink when hunting and didn't care to hunt with someone who did . I sure as hell didn't want to be on a deer drive with anyone who had been drinking but that's just my opinion .

Personally I never cared to drink . I would get sick instead of feeling good plus I never cared for the taste of alcohol so I consider myself lucky .

I was invited to camp with some guys several years ago . this is what they told me they do ......

Day 1 --- Get up early and hunt , come back to cabin , eat , go back out to hunt come back , eat , play cards and drink .

Day 2 --- Get up hunt , come back to cabin , eat , those that want to go back out do , the others play cards and drink .

Day 3 --- anyone who wants to hunt gets up and goes out . The rest eat , play cards and drink .

I didn't go

I never saw a need to drink when hunting and didn't care to hunt with someone who did . I sure as hell didn't want to be on a deer drive with anyone who had been drinking but that's just my opinion .

Did any of those guys drink when hunting? If so, I completely agree.

Some people hunt hard core. Some people enjoy the camp atmosphere, hunt a little, and then stick it out at camp. As long as both sides are responsible, that's all that matters. I miss the days of being able to play some euchre after a day's hunt, and looking forward to the next one.