Crossbows in 2013

bkln

This is driving me mad!!...Stop with trying to get them in deer season ONLY.....this time just go with 2 separate proposals...Big game being one and small the other...or just a legal implement for NYS period..

All I've heard on this for the last year or two is deer season...deer season....

Hows that worked out for ya??getting them into gun season is fine if ......THE AVERAGE HUNTER is looking to tag a doe...but how many looking for a nice buck is going to go x-bow over rifle, ml or shot gun?

Edited by growalot

personly i think that the crossbow should just be added to the list of legal instuments. there is no need to give crossbows their own season as well. remember when a muzzel loader had to be primitave and no scopes, had to use a ball and inline types where not sporting enough? or how about when compound bows found their way into main stream? years ago it had to be a recurve with out any mechanical devises to aid the shooter? personly speaking as the times change so do the ways and manner in which WE hunters go about our sport.... just my humble two cents.

• Like 1

This is driving me mad!!...Stop with trying to get them in deer season ONLY.....this time just go with 2 separate proposals...Big game being one and small the other...or just a legal implement for NYS period..

All I've heard on this for the last year or two is deer season...deer season....

Hows that worked out for ya??getting them into gun season is fine if ......THE AVERAGE HUNTER is looking to tag a doe...but how many looking for a nice buck is going to go x-bow over rifle, ml or shot gun?

A few, LOL.

I was going to upgrade to a new bow this year. Like a Matthews, PSE,Hoyt. I was looking to spend up to $1000 to get it tricked out. But now I'm waiting to see whats up with the crossbows . I have $1000 to spend , might go with a new Horton Fury. I'm not getting any younger....................

I think the question was about the legal status of the crossbow issue. Not whether it is a good idea or bad idea. I'm kind of curious myself since the news on status of crossbows for both bow season and gun season seems to have gone completely quiet. What is the next legal step and when?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

"unless you're disabled, be an f'n man and use a real bow."

HAHA. You shoot a Mathews. How primitive. What do you care what other people use? It shouldn't affect your hunting one bit. Does it really matter if other hunters are using a PSE compound or an Excalibur Crossbow?

It's only a matter time before it will be allowed in archery in NY. It works fine in PA and NJ already. I went alone to a hunting camp in the middle of north central PA during archery season. There were 11 bowhunters there besides me. Many of them go to this outfitter every single year. I was the new guy and the only one who used a crossbow. Not 1 person had a negative thing to say me. The hunters were from Vermont, NY, NJ, and Mass.

I hunt from the ground 100% of the time, I bet you hunt from a tree stand. Do you climb up the tree with your hands and feet or do you use one of those primitive climbers or primitive ladder stands? Wake up bro, your 300+fps compound and luxury treestand doesn't make it any harder to shoot a deer than me sitting on the ground against a tree with a crossbow.

• Like 1

This Week In Albany

Week ending November 23, 2012

Cuomo Says Special Session Unlikely

"During a radio interview this week, Governor Cuomo indicated that he is unlikely to call the State legislature back for a special session before the end of the year. The Governor said that the state’s focus in addressing the damage caused by Hurricane Sandy. He said that the issues that he wants to address, including increasing the minimum wage and campaign finance reform, are too complex to discuss as hurricane cleanup is taking precedent."

this is part of a union email for work.

MY GUESS IS NOT ANYTIME THIS YEAR!!!

Edited by noahmstone

sorry if i dont want all the pumpkin 870 toting cigarette smoking yee-haws i see during gun season messing up my bow season. You can call it an elitest attitude all you want, but because bow hunting is difficult the numbers are much smaller than gun and those that do bowhunt are generally truly dedicated. Listen, your gun season is 4 weeks long followed by a week of muzzleloader. there is no reason to throw in a piece of equipment that autococks with a scope into the bow season. and all you recurve/longbow fools can suck a fat one too. You know your argument is pitiful as a compound still takes many hours and years to truly master. Hunt all you want over your bait pile out of your redneck blind with your buckcommander crossbow during the regular season. Then please post pictures of your doe on here proclaiming to all you dont care and that you're a meat hunter.

/rant

Edited by Belo