My First Buck!!!!

josephmrtn

8:45 am this morn i got down from my stand and walked to meet up w my hunting buddy, long story short we were just getting ready to start a mini drive when this guy stepped out about 50 yrds away i wispered "stand still!" and brought my gun up i shot and he dropped right over.... needless to say i was and still am SUPER exited! he would be a six point (i think) but he broke his main beam so he is a 4 or 5 im not sure if the main beam is big enough to count.... i am guessing his weight at about 175 and his age at 1.5 yr approx

(i shot him with a hornady 150 gr super shock tip bullet in 308 win)

post-2634-0-32411700-1353810472_thumb.jp

post-2634-0-57109400-1353810536_thumb.jp

post-2634-0-30438600-1353810597_thumb.jp

Edited by josephmrtn
  • Like 6

thanks guys! yeah my buddy helped me get some nice pics, i am gonna put my weight tape on him (got it from the dec) before we leave for the butcher w him and get an actual weight for him rather than a guess..... yeah i know i was so exited i was shaking and my bud kept saying "u r the man!!!" it was gr8 i hope i get to help some other guy w his first deer someday! its SOOO FUN!!!!!! i am totaly charged and am thinking of getting a muzzeloader just so i can hunt more in 1 season! sorry if i sound like a little kid...... lol lol

Congrats Joe, but he ain't 175 by a long shot 130 maybe... anyway, enjoy the meat, you will remember that forever !!! :-)

i used the nys conservationist magazine weight tape today and it said: 166 live, 130 dressed, 74 lbs edible meat.... i used it by the instructions so i think its right

i used the nys conservationist magazine weight tape today and it said: 166 live, 130 dressed, 74 lbs edible meat.... i used it by the instructions so i think its right

maybe a month ago he weighed 130. He looks closer to 120. But for this age deer, the smaller they are, the better they taste! they make cheaper versions, but this is a good investment for most hunters http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/After-the-Shot/Gambrels-Hoists-Scales|/pc/104791680/c/104689980/sc/104350680/Big-Game-330-lb-Digital-Scale/940388.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1100182%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd1206659&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd1206659%3Bcat104350680

thanks guys! he is safe at the butcher shop getting cut up right now so i should have the meat (and head) back within a week or 10 days.... BTW nolts meatcutting in lowville ny dose a great job!!! my favorite so far from them is old style jerky (the sliced stuff) but im getting some venison sticks and slim jims ect this time too so i will need to see what my favorite is...