Dead Buck

bwilso20

My buddy found this giant dead about 4 miles from my house yesterday evening in his aunts pond. The bottom jaw was blown off and they believe it died from starvation. There was also a wound that was just about healed over you can see high in the shoulder from bow season.post-2390-0-65739600-1354640736_thumb.jp

Just my opinion-that's what happens when you shoot 5 times at a deer running from you. You hope just to hit it and bring it down........and look what happens.

Real nice buck, what a shame.

Well that could be one take on this...or. that is what happens when you take head shots......or that is what happense when you shoot farther than your capabilities....or that is what happens when the bullet hits a limb you don't see....or....or....or.

• Like 3

That looks like the buck Cabin Fever was chasin' ............lol!

Tough luck for an incredible buck. Unfortunately I think it's gonna be another one of those years with dead deer laying all over the place. No snow again for most of the season here.

• Like 1

That looks like the buck Cabin Fever was chasin' ............lol!

Tough luck for an incredible buck. Unfortunately I think it's gonna be another one of those years with dead deer laying all over the place. No snow again for most of the season here.

Unfortunately I think you are right. I have been involved in 3 tracking trips (luckily we found all three0 that on good gun shots didn't have a noticable blood trail for over 50 yards. followig scuff marks in the leaves and they we got good blood on all 3. Sometimes I think they may be written of as a clean miss to quickly.

Shame to see these two bucks go this way or any animal for that matter.

• Like 1

My buddy just told me it had 20 1/2in inside will post what the green score is when I find out. They are going to mount this buck since they were watching it for so many years. This buck is actually on its first year of the down side, it was actually wider and had more points last year. They found a drop with 15 on one side last winter.

One of the things I like to do while gun hunting is to bring the walkie along and put it on scan. You can listen to what all the other hunters are shooting at and find out if it was a hit or a miss. I find it amazing that I can hear 4 or 5 shots in a row and listen to them talk about how the deer was 100yrds away and running and they were shooting off hand and they are suprised they miss. 90% of the shooting I heard on the first day that people were talking about were missed deer. 5% were wounded deer where they found blood or couldnt find the deer even after they shot and the deer dropped and got up again and ran off. The final 5 percent were one shot one kill for the most part. Maybe a finishing shot here or there but mostly one shot. So if you want to improve your luck try putting one slug in the gun. You'll find the time to aim real quick when you know you dont have a follow up shot. I think this buck was probably machine gunned at as he was running away and the guy was probably looking at the rack the whole time. :biggrin:

• Like 2