Wheres everyone sitting this weekend

MACHINIST

WHat I mean is its the last hooray,so what type of area will you be sitting in this weekend.I will be on a oak ride edge looking over a overgrown grass field,then will be doing some small drives here and there to a friend.So whats your go too stand when the 2 minute buzzer of the season goes off

I don't know exactly what tactic i wan't to take.I have put so much thought and planning into my hunts this year and i have been just on the edge of being lucky.At the one parcel i hunt i can't take does.And thats all i have seen since gun has opened except a little buck chasing a doe.I have a nice ridge there that runs between an uncut corn field and a cut field.It is also the ridge that leads from the cut field to a cattail bedding area.Saw 3 does last sit there on monday.But that spot is a no doe spot.Where does run,bucks may run also.If my luck is with me.

Or behind my house where they have beat down trails that lead to the bedding 60 yards from my back door.Its a thicket.And they are in there heavy.The wind is tough to play on this stand.They may come from 3 directions but usually straight up from the east.So if i have a west or NW wind in the a.m. i usually won't bother.At least here i can shoot doe.

I don't know what i want to do.Seems like the hunting gods have been teasing me all yr so far.I am curious to what they have in store for me for my last hooray.

Friday , ill be in a 70 acre plot that has been barely touched this whole season ,the center is swamp land . Saturday morning ,in the ground blind ,close to the "monster" sightings , get there before the dinks from the nearby camp come in and hopefully get something pushed to me.Sunday will be in a not so promising spot, however it will be with my father , time spent with the "ol'man" these days is just as good to me as a good day hunting.

If I were going out (and I'm not), I think I would get back to the trails leading to the current food sources. So far this late season has been absolutely dead quiet. I haven't heard a shot since regular season ended. The state parking lots are almost completely deserted. There is no indication that there even is a season open. So my guess would be that deer should be starting to move back into their pre-season patterns. The 5 deer on my front lawn the other day during legal shooting hours also indicates that.

• Like 1

I just don't have a ton of late season bedding areas on my grounds that I hunt.

A few small spots here and there, but nothing that'll hold much. The one decent spot is darn near impossible to dive into, but I plan on doing that Sunday morning. Hunt the edge and then probably slow push it as best as possible. I got in there once post season earlier this year and it was like a movie...the light disappeared as the multiflora was 10-12 high and all around me.

Not sure. Where I currently hunt it is a steep, hilly narrow patch of 250 acres. Stream runs length of property with some thickets, pines and hardwoods. No fields with food for miles. Ive hunted the pines, the ridges, draws, valleys, funnels etc. I would love to hear some suggestions so I don't end up eating tag soup.

If I only knew. my little island of hardwoods and thick stuff is now surrounded by plowed up crop fields of mud,the 1 cut corn field that is unplowed is on the edge of thicker then peanut butter cover.

Moving from cover to the field can be one step for them, hard to set up on trails or staging areas in heavy brush that takes both hands to push through .

Nothing has even stuck its nose out in daylight .

gotta be in it to win it I guess.

Ill be hunting transition areas in the morning, thick cover still hunting afternoons and back on feed in the evenings. Ill also be hitting up a couple of spots they have historically gone to stay away from the pressure of drives, etc. From what I hear there wont be many if any guys out on the farm this weekend besides me, and theres a couple of bruisers still around. We will see.

Hunting with crossbow looking for a buck.

Saturday – I will sit on private land in a spot from dark – 9/10am. Then do some very very slow still hunting till lunchtime. After lunch I will probably try some DEP land.

Sunday – Hoping a family friend lets me sit in a ladder stand with him watching a tiny food plot Anything 7pt or bigger the other guy gets, anything 6 or under, I get. I think he hunts the stand dark – 9am and then 2pm-dark.

ill be out on long island starting tomorrow. Gonna be hunting with the bow fri-sunday trying to take down the big buck that we got pictures of last week. My friend is going to check the cams tonight so hopefully i have something to look forward to in the morning. Good luck guys. Big boys are still out there somewhere.

John