JOIN THE NRA NOW!!!

Steve brings up a good point, we all know it's because of perception. The gun owner community has been portrayed as bunch of rednecks. The left has been portrayed as tree hugging vegetarians. The democrat/liberal members of this forum have proven that isn't always the case as the right wingers here have proven the same.

Lefties hunt and own guns, righties are not all white pickup truck driving hillbillies. I think this is where everyone gets it wrong. We cherry pick (thanks WNY) what characteristics we want to remember, all for an arguments sake. I see both sides mentioning that they can't believe how far to the right members are or how many left wing members are on the board.

Edited by ELMER J. FUDD

nyantler nailed it. "The answer is Apathy and Ignorance.. the greatest killer of all things important in America... the same reason that only a third of the eligible voters make it to the polls to vote... the same reason that only a handful of members of any club usually do the work of the whole club."

Not only are gun owners up against the anti gun media, our anti gun gov't and US citizens who think more gun laws will keep everyone more safe (look at the history to see this not the case)..we are also up against each other, gun owners that don't want to unite and would rather just point the finger at each other.

This is just the beginning of gun restrictions. The flood gates are now open. Somewhere down the road when another tragedy occurs, guns will be blamed once again, and more restrictive laws will be placed gun owners.

• Like 1

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Britain, with an army to enforce her tyranny, has declared that she has a right (not only to TAX) but "to BIND us in ALL CASES WHATSOEVER" and if being bound in that manner, is not slavery, then is there not such a thing as slavery upon earth. Even the expression is impious; for so unlimited a power can belong only to God." "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it!"

I have news for you, there are what 60 million or more gun owners in this country? Why are there only 4 million or so NRA members then? Yeah, I'm sure you guys will say that they are all copouts, but have you ever thought that the majority of them aren't as passionate about guns as you guys are OR they just don't buy into everything the NRA says and does?? So if you can't figure it out yourself, I am NOT the only one who is against you here. You fellas with extreme stances on guns are in the minority any way you want to slice this, and will not be even close to breaking even in numbers with the other side anytime soon. I know you fellas paint anyone a bleeding heart liberal who would dare point such a thing out on a hunting forum, but so be it. If you can't figure it out for yourselves, that surely isn't my problem then.

Basically, the opening question in your reply reflects most of what's wrong in this country. Today's attitudes pretty much follow the selfish philosophy of, "Let someone else do it". There is no shortage of examples of that kind of thinking. And failure to support one's advocacy organizations is just one of those examples. Now it appears that there is a sub-division of that group of individuals, that actually find themselves conflicted between having someone working on behalf of their 2nd amendment rights, and their political idealogy. That one is fun to watch.

• Like 1

Basically, the opening question in your reply reflects most of what's wrong in this country. Today's attitudes pretty much follow the selfish philosophy of, "Let someone else do it". There is no shortage of examples of that kind of thinking. And failure to support one's advocacy organizations is just one of those examples. Now it appears that there is a sub-division of that group of individuals, that actually find themselves conflicted between having someone working on behalf of their 2nd amendment rights, and their political idealogy. That one is fun to watch.

In my opinion you are wrong. As I stated on another thread, with up to 15-20 million hunters and as many as 60 million gun owners, I think if the NRA would tone down it's tactics, and actually remain at the table when a discussion on gun control takes place, they could easily have 7 or 8 million members. But NO, they want the hard line approach and have made themselves out to look like a bunch of extremists who will not take a minute to discuss the issue with the other side. They are now hated more than ever by non-gun owners, and even many gun owners and even members are starting to realize they may be doing more harm than good. Did anyone notice that they haven't had Nugent or even LaPierre talk publicly of late? Anyone wonder why? They have this other guy Keene doing most of the talking now. They know their imagine is badly wounded, and many of the politicians they supported in the last election lost. In my opinion they have lost a lot of clout and are starting to realize it. We shall see whether they can gain it back.

they sure did a lot to help out us new yorkers. I will not be renewing my membership this year.

Just watch and see what happens in the courts. This legislation was pushed through at an incredible pace, and the NRA most likely wasnt able to do much more than the rest of us at the time. They will take their battle to the court room, as others are currently doing to try and have this repealed and struck down. Dont give up yet.

• Like 2

I have read in the papers that they are organizing for court challenges as well as support for some of these repeal activities. Don't forget that they also have a federal aspect to all this. Imagine the cost of such activities. Remember how they used to say "You can't fight city hall"? Imagine taking on the federal government and state governments. Now try to picture how you would do that sort of thing all by yourself.

• Like 1

Not to mention the NRA is funded entirely by it's membership... so it has limited resources based on the number of people supporting them. Apathetic gun owners that refuse to become members sit back on the sidelines waiting for the NRA to fight their battles for them wondering why they haven't done more.. never thinking that maybe the reason they can't do more is because they don't have the support of all gun owners... Yet the NRA still fights on behalf of even those gun owners that refuse to support them.

when you join or rejoin the NRA, tell them to keep the cheap crap gift's they send out......I can only imagine the amount of money wasted on that garbage....and the constant bombardment of junk mail has got to cost them as well, can't see how that is needed.,

You first need to understand how much in donations some of that junk mail generates... and some times it's the cheap crap that entices people to join.. as irritating as it might be... it's all about marketing and generating money for the organization.

You first need to understand how much in donations some of that junk mail generates... and some times it's the cheap crap that entices people to join.. as irritating as it might be... it's all about marketing and generating money for the organization.

Overmarketting and issues with their budgeting seems to be a common complaint with the NRA. It really isn't too hard to listen to members and future members by implementing a do not call or mail list.

Overmarketting and issues with their budgeting seems to be a common complaint with the NRA. It really isn't too hard to listen to members and future members by implementing a do not call or mail list.

Usually complaints by those that don't understand how or why it works... I agree it can be overwhelming sometimes, but believe it or not it serves it's purpose which is to generate more revenue for the cause... little to ask for all that they do in my opinion.

Kinda of hard to see what the NRA is saying when you are NOT a member and your head is up your A$$.

If you're not with us,you're against us.

New York: Governor Andrew Cuomo Seizes Your Gun Rights Overnight with Secret Deals, Procedural Shortcuts and Midnight Votes in Albany

line.gif

Public Input Prevented on Gun Control Debate to Advance Agenda and Political Career

Governor Andrew Cuomo, in stunningly brazen fashion, took a hatchet to gun rights in New York with lightning speed. By cutting secret deals behind closed doors, eliminating public input and circumventing normal legislative processes, the Governor and state Senate passed sweeping anti-gun measures just before the stroke of midnight yesterday. Within 24 hours, Cuomo had his new gun control laws. Cuomo utilized a rarely-used executive trick, a "message of necessity" to bypass normal legislative procedures that are strictly followed on hundreds of bills each legislative session. Late last night as the clock approached midnight, the public was introduced to

S. 2230,a hastily drafted bill that includes bans on commonly owned semi-automatic firearms and magazines, registration, and restrictions on ammunition purchases. This bill was released to legislators a scant twenty minutes prior to the Senate vote and quickly passed without proper vetting, committee consideration and debate, as previously reported on here.

Today, S. 2230 faced the state Assembly where it passed by a 104 to 43 vote and was signed into law by the Governor within an hour of its passage, taking immediate effect. During Assembly debate, it became obvious that the haste with which the bill was drafted and passed resulted in innumerable errors and flaws, damaging gun owners even worse than bill authors probably intended. The NRA-ILA lobbyist spent several days in Albany meeting with lawmakers, but this deal was quickly and quietly being forged behind closed doors. Lawmakers from both political parties were even critical of the process in which Cuomo guaranteed only one outcome would prevail.

Prior to this outrageous and undemocratic action, New York already had some of the strictest gun control laws in the country, and they have proven to be failures. When each of New York’s gun laws was enacted, politicians promised it would fix the crime problem. Years later, it is clear that they did not, yet anti-gun lawmakers want more of the same laws. Gun control has not worked because criminals, by definition, do not obey the law. Like previous gun control attempts, S.2230 focuses only on law-abiding gun owners and will do nothing to address public safety or crime.

S.2230 expands the state's existing pseudo (semi-auto) "assault weapons" ban by outlawing pre-ban firearms, unless they are registered. This new state law also expands what is now considered an “assault weapon” and goes beyond the expired federal law. This statute also lowers New York's magazine capacity limit from ten rounds to seven. You can possess magazines capable of holding more than ten for one year, but you cannot sell or transfer them to anyone living in New York. State residents have one year from enactment to transfer or surrender them. Incredibly, S.2230 will also require background checks on ammunition purchases and prohibit online sales of both firearms and ammunition. It also includes universal background checks on all firearms transfers with certain exemptions for immediate family. S.2230 also requires mental health practitioners to report if someone is a threat to himself or others (without requiring an adjudication) and such person must surrender their gun. These failed gun control ideas will not address crime, but today Cuomo and his accomplices did irreparable damage to the constitutional rights of New Yorkers.

In his recent state of the state address, Cuomo made it clear that passing gun control would be the first major issue of the 2013 legislative session. He seized the opportunity to exploit tragedy and put his own personal politics ahead of sound public policy. Your governing officials resorted to deception, secrecy and procedural gamesmanship because they were too afraid to let gun owners make their voices heard. In the short time this issue was before the state Legislature, hundreds of phone calls and e-mails flooded the Capitol. The politicians might be able to sidestep gun owners now, but the next election will be a different story.

This legislation is still less than 24 hours old, and it contains many complex details and nuances that were secretly withheld from public view. NRA-ILA’s legal staff will continue to examine this new law and determine if future litigation may be appropriate. As we challenge these new laws, we will continue to report to our members, so please stay tuned and continue to visit www.nraila.org.

Nice rebuttal to Steves comment. Just like usual his arguments are based on his opinion and hold no validity.

How many that think the NRA should have done more actually sent a letter or called their legislator or the governors office? I'm betting that there were many more gun owners that didn't than did... they prefer to wait for the NRA ( even though they are not a member) to do the work for them.

Some of the callers from the NRA are a bit thick . I was called last night and the guy was trying to get me to sign up for 5 years . I kept telling him that I had signed up recently for 5 years and had 4 1/2 years left on my membership . He was pushing the lifetime and I told him , " I am 71 years old and if I am still alive in 4 years that I will re-up for another 5 years " .

Other than that , I am quite satisfied with the NRA !

Some of the callers from the NRA are a bit thick . I was called last night and the guy was trying to get me to sign up for 5 years . I kept telling him that I had signed up recently for 5 years and had 4 1/2 years left on my membership . He was pushing the lifetime and I told him , " I am 71 years old and if I am still alive in 4 years that I will re-up for another 5 years " .

Other than that , I am quite satisfied with the NRA !

Quite thick indeed.. but remember they are made up of regular guys and gals just like us on this forum... whats that tell ya??...lol