410 FOR BIGGAME

Dom

Like, can I expect 1" groups at 50 yards? 2" groups?, etc?

It would be very optimistic to expect 1"-2" groups from a .410 or ANY smoothbore shotgun at 50 yards, especially considering the fact that most .410s are tighly choked and equipped with simple bead sights, rather than adjustable rifle type sights. One exception might be the Winchester 9410, which I believe is cylinder bore and has adjustable sights. The size of the projectile has nothing to do with accuracy. The limitations exist because it is a SMOOTHBORE, CRUDELY SIGHTED shotgun. Addition of a scope or more precision adjustable sights would shrink groups somewhat, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Considering the tight chokes, smooth bore and lack of good sights, I'd say if you could 6" groups at 50 yards you'd be doing pretty good.

I know at this point someone is going to tell me about his smoothbore single barrel that shoots one hole groups at 50 yards, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

Shucks, an old (R.I.P.) friend of mine had a Winchester M12 16 gauge, smoothbore of course.

He claimed that with that gun he could blow a hole in a hummingbird as big as your fist at 50 yards..<<grin>>...

Edited by Pygmy

Grab a cup of Joe from your Keurig and click on these babies...........

http://mcb-homis.com...g_410/index.htm

http://mcb-homis.com...r9410/index.htm

Me, I'll pass on the 410 for deer. When firearms deer season is on, I don't want to be nestled into a pine tree watching a couple trails that intersect 10 yards away like I would with the bow. If your using a 410, your really limiting your effective range and I know that just like the bow, guys would be tempted to take a shot beyond the limits of their firearm of choice. Cripples would stack up like cord wood..............................

(That oughta fire you guys up)

Edited by Lawdwaz

• 2 weeks later...

Do people not stack up wounded deer by trying to always go beyond the effective range of the weapon of choice? That issue has zero to do with the calibler/firearm of choice, but rather the human element.

To me, there's no difference between a 12 gauge hunter slinging one out of its effective range/shooting capability and the .410 hunter doing the same. The critical component is the hunter, not the weapon. If both stay within their effective range, then there's no difference imo.

When I lived in New York we use to hunt New York and Pennsylvania. In Pennsylvania 410 use to be legal for deer and any centerfire rifle was legal as well. I've shot a few deer with an old 410 bolt action Mossgerg. You have to know the limitations on what ever gun you are using. I also bought a Ruger model 77 in 22 Hornet to use in Pensylvania on deer just because I could. I shot a few deer with that small caliber gun and never lost a one. I never lost a deer with the 410 either. It all comes down to shot placement. You have to stay with in the means of the gun you are useing. While useing the smaller caliber guns there were a lot of deer I had to pass on because they were out of range for the light loads, But if you put the time in you'll get one with in range and you'll be successful. It doesn't matter if your useing a 22 magum or a 300 Win. Mag - Shot placement is everything. If you hit a deer in the heart or liver it's dead in a shot time, hit a deer in the guts and your tracking it and possibly loseing it.

Most people hunt squirrels with a 12 gauge shot gun, I've hunted them a lot of times with my 177 caliber pellet gun. But when I use the pellet gun I have to be alot closer and more acurate then a guy with a 12 gauge.

My favorite deer gun is my Remington 788 in 243 Winchester. Elk hunting my favorite gun is my Interarms 7mm-mag. My favorite squirrel gun is my Marlin 882 in 17HMR. My favorite rabbit gun is my Ithaca model 66 in twenty gauge. My favorite grouse gun is my Stevens 311 - 20 gauge double barrel SxS.My favorite waterfowl gun is my Winchester Super X3, My favorte small caliber target pistol is my Ruger Mark 2 stainless steel with a ten inch bull barrel, ( I use this one for small game hunting as well). My favorite big game pistol is my Ruger GP100 - 357 magnum with a six inch barrel (stainless steel). My favorite large caliber conceal carry pistol is my Colt 70 series stainless steel 1911 in 45 acp. Ny favorite small caliber conceal carry is my Kahr PM9 - 9mm semi auto.

The other fifty guns in the safes are for when I want to take something different out. I'm far from limited to what I have to use for any given task. There are a few more I will be adding to my collection for specific purposes. A S&W 454 Casual revolver, a Ruger Red Label 12 gauge with screw in chokes, something from Olympic Arms just because they are boycotting New York State by not selling merchandise the State of New York because of the SAFE ACT they shoved up your asses.A gun from Olympic Arms is the first on my list of new items.

By the way I have about seven 410 shotguns, when I see one at a decent price I buy it.

I dont see why a 410 slug would not do the job. Black powder smooth bores shooting patched lead balls and large caliber handguns have killed plenty of deer at 50 yrds. A modern 410 slug shot out of the correct gun at the same distance wouldnt be much different I would think. Shot placement, distance, and knowing the limitations of your gun are the key. With that said, I wouldnt carry one for hunting deer. I like to be over gunned at all times. It would be just my luck I would have a 410 and have a monster buck walk in and not get any closer than 70 yrds. I want a gun on me that can get the job done at any range that I could reasonably expect to encounter while deer hunting.

Edited by erussell

• 6 years later...
1 hour ago, johnplav said:

image.jpeg.dae1408a0af4bcdb68455ecb9b995001.jpeg

This was my second gun, I got it when I was like 8.

I'd trust it on deer from 1-5 ft away.

This one would be a different story:

Image result for rossi circuit judge 410

i wanted one of these just cause they are cool!  Neat little gun.  But i wouldnt hunt deer with a .410.  I would put one down with my Judge with .410 but to do that have to carry .45 for it to be legal.  

• 4 weeks later...