If you could move where would you go?

Geno C

My girlfriend of nearly 6 years is from Iowa and her parents farm 800 acres there and in MN. She said she isn't marrying me unless I am willing to move there. Hmmmmm.... My ONLY hangup is the fact that my dad and I are partners on the farm I am on and have a significant amount invested.

I fully expect you to tell me you've been to Iowa hunting at least once and are close to drawing for a second time? Seriously.

I'm starting point collection in a month or two when it opens up.

I have left NY and lived in GA. I came back for my fathers health and he now going to FL for winter. I have always regretted i came back. Now i am married and ask every year if he is ready to leave state. I do not like NY or the winters, and my hate for it gets greater every year. Not sure where i would want to go

Im the same, left NY when I was 19 for Florida, then ended up in OH for a couple of years, then came back here for family and ended up getting tied down. In alot of ways, Ive regretted coming back. I had family in FL and easily could have gone back there after Ohio. Now Im just waiting for the last tie to go and Ill be gone. I will miss some people here, but not NY itself. I can always visit if I want to see it again.

Im the same, left NY when I was 19 for Florida, then ended up in OH for a couple of years, then came back here for family and ended up getting tied down. In alot of ways, Ive regretted coming back. I had family in FL and easily could have gone back there after Ohio. Now Im just waiting for the last tie to go and Ill be gone. I will miss some people here, but not NY itself. I can always visit if I want to see it again.

How did you like Ohio? Work, hunting, cost of living, gun laws?

Phade- sadly i have not even applied. I tried to 2 years ago but they required my bowhunter's safety cert which i can't find. Last year i forgot because the app period is in june i believe. I hang my head in shame.

Let's get the ball rolling and we can go out there together on your better half's farm. Cut some costs and we'd be on the same points schedule for 2014 or 2015 (depending on what zone the farm is in).

I am born and raised NY and lived here for 45 years now. I have thought about moving quite a few times. I have a job I could work anywhere pretty much and the wife could get a job easily in her field. Family and friends is what we do not want to leave. And this state is beautiful and filled with wonderful outdoor places. I love the Adirondacks and we have more public land than a lot of other states combined. Tons of fishing. These things are hard to beat. I love the four seasons even though January and Febuary suck more every year older I get!!

For expense wise I have read numerous times the overall cost of living NY is very reasonable excluding the Big City at the bottom compared to the other states.

For politics we seem to have all the idiots. And instead of us leaving we need to throw them out!

I have travelled all over this country though and if I did move...... Nothing way south too hot and no seasons. No west coast well because it is the left coast!! Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota is awful pretty country. Always liked Kentucky too but I would not root for no stinkin Wildcats!

• Like 1

A wise man once wrote "accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."

Well fella's everyone has to make their own decision and live with the result, but I'm done suffering and now I'm starting to take the steps to right myself. Unfortunately in order to cut loose from all the bad I also have to abandon the good, but I truly believe that in the long run it will be the best for me and my family's future.

Covert - Jefferson has long been gone. The tyrants have taken control of the republic he gave us.

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.

Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. -Tytler

Edited by mmkay

In my competition coonhunting days I traveled all over this half of the country. The only area I went that I really felt was for me was the western area of Kentucky near the border of Tennessee. I stayed right on Kentucky Lake every year and absolutely loved it there. Just a lot more laid back lifestyle. Most times when I went to a big hunt, I was ready to get back home. This area made me want to stay.

lived in Arkansas for 10 years but, it never became "home". came back to NY in 2002 for many of the reasons already mentioned. fantastic fishing and hunting. 2 gobblers each spring. 4-6 dear each fall. more bass,catfish, stripers than i could clean. but it wasnt home. if i HAD to leave, it would be back to Arkansas. BUT, the federal laws will get you no matter where you go unless you leave the country. the FREEDOM FIGHT must start somewhere, might just as well be here since there are no more "AMERICAS" to settle. i reckon i will stay and do what i can TO STOP "THE TYRANNY OF ALBANY".

Same here. Left back in 93 lived in Louisiana and then Alabama. Loved every moment of both states. 100% better hunting and fishing for sure and more stateland than you could hunt in a life time. But my family lived here and I started to miss everyone. Moved back in 99. Now everyone is leaving and going else where or has died so after my parents leave next yr for NC My family will probably pull up roots and leave to. My wife cant wait. She's from PA and hates every minute she has to live in NY. She says this is the most depressed state she has ever lived in and I have to agree. Doom County is a dump anymore. It has really gone down hill in the last 10 yrs since NY City kicked all its garbage out and most of them fled here.

Like many here, unless I want to cut all ties and leave the family behind, I'm probably here for the duration. I do plan to move further from the suburbs at some point, possibly to my camp in NY if I can talk the wife into it.

The grass is always greener, my parents retired to Nevada, now that they are in failing health and no family is close by, I am sure they are regretting it. Thank heavens they have a network of other retirees that they rely on for help, and they return the favor when needed.

I wouldn't mind living in the south or Texas or Florida, but I have friends and distant relatives there, and no matter how nice they are to your face, I will never be "one of them" and they will always think of me as a Yankee. :bye:

The grass is always greener, my parents retired to Nevada, now that they are in failing health and no family is close by, I am sure they are regretting it. Thank heavens they have a network of other retirees that they rely on for help, and they return the favor when needed.

Yes, these answers do take on a different tone as people get older. As you get into the later years of life, family becomes even more important. Nobody wants to die alone. Also, your choices in terms of a need to be somewhere near civilization change with age and growing medical needs and attention. I would love to dig my way back into one of the western isolated valleys and just spend my remaining days soaking up the beauty and peaceful existance. However, that just simply is not ever going to happen. Advancing age changes everything.

Yes, these answers do take on a different tone as people get older. As you get into the later years of life, family becomes even more important. Nobody wants to die alone. Also, your choices in terms of a need to be somewhere near civilization change with age and growing medical needs and attention. I would love to dig my way back into one of the western isolated valleys and just spend my remaining days soaking up the beauty and peaceful existance. However, that just simply is not ever going to happen. Advancing age changes everything.

Nobody beats time. Finding that balance is key...if it means seasonal relocation, etc. At some point though, everyone becomes resigned to their fate. It just happens at different times/ages.

Florida is not my favorite, we are in line for inhereting a place on the ocean in Key Largo. Get to spend some vacations there and the best part is coming home. Nice place to visit for a day or 2 but other than that it lacks mountains, privacy, woods, etc, but it does have plenty of old people lol.

I do however want to change where I want to go. I would like to head somewhere Libtards dont exist. Anyone know of such a place? LOL

I do however want to change where I want to go. I would like to head somewhere Libtards dont exist. Anyone know of such a place? LOL

Alabama and Mississippi are great places to live if you can stand the heat. Northern Lousisana ( north of I-10 ) is pretty nice to, with tons of state land and deer. Pigs are a huge problem in most of these states and when hunting I would see up to 25 in a herd, and you can hunt them all yr long. Word to the wise try not to shoot a boar hog or you just wasted a bullet. :)

Alabama and Mississippi are great places to live if you can stand the heat. Northern Lousisana ( north of I-10 ) is pretty nice to, with tons of state land and deer. Pigs are a huge problem in most of these states and when hunting I would see up to 25 in a herd, and you can hunt them all yr long. Word to the wise try not to shoot a boar hog or you just wasted a bullet. :)

It's not just the heat ....... How about the spikey-fanged, slithering things. You know those creepy critters that don't even have the decency to get up and walk at you. I don't want anything to do with those. I don't even like the non-lethal ones that we have around here. Now, if somebody invents a pair of snake-bite boots that zip up over the top of your head, maybe I would consider walking around in the tall grass down there, enjoying hunting all those pigs and stuff.

• Like 1

Ha - ha ..... probably not the kind of thing that I could ever get use to. Even those harmless little ones that we've got around up here will make me jump when they take off without me expecting it. Damned sneaky things. I think if we had ones that could kill you or otherwise wreck you, I probably wouldn't go outside very much. I just don't like 'em!