NY 2012 hunting related injury stats

wooly

Pretty darn safe activity , isn't it? ....... and getting better every decade. It would be nice to be able to analyze why, but I don't see anyway to pull that out of the numbers. And then, along comes a year like 2010 where the number of incidents popped back up to 40 from 26, and then dropped back down the following year ..... What's that all about?

Anyway, this declining number of incidents every decade ..... Is that because of safety training? Is it because of fewer actual man-hours of hunting? Is it because of increased use of blaze orange? I guess one can wonder and wonder and probably never figure it out.....lol.

I would say in general it is combination of all those factors, Doc. I don't have the numbers but isn't the average age of a hunter in NY also going up? Any correlation to age and safety?

Definitely could be a contributer. I didn't think of that. It would be great if someone took a crack at a study just to see if there isn't some feature that should be emphasized. We're doing darned good, but there always is room for improvement.

I dont see how there could be "quite a few" anywhere there were only 24 incidents over the entire state. And if you were to think about it for more than three seconds it would actually make more sense to have an increase in incidents near a population center where there are more likely more participants per square mile, creating a statistical increase in the likely hood of a incident occurring. But im not really sure where "the city" in NY is either with several large population centers in the state

I have to say I did notice that there were no western NY counties in that report...

So It's bad to say and I clearly do not truly think it's funny...but dang...I do laugh at some of those incidences...just being honest

Their were 2 in the town of Yates, which is in Orleans County. Also 1 in town of Chautauqua.

I'm still waiting for that rash of long range rifle related accidents that were predicted by so many doomsdayers when rifles were made legal for deer hunting in much of the southern zone , because rifle bullets travel so much farther than shotgun slugs.

Perhaps they are just going to take a few more years to "develop"...

• Like 1

I would say in general it is combination of all those factors, Doc. I don't have the numbers but isn't the average age of a hunter in NY also going up? Any correlation to age and safety?

Pew ... I think that age thing is a major contributor to safety , I know myself - I used to take alot more chances in my younger days ! Sometimes now it just hurts looking at what I used to get away with LOL !

I'm still waiting for that rash of long range rifle related accidents that were predicted by so many doomsdayers when rifles were made legal for deer hunting in much of the southern zone , because rifle bullets travel so much farther than shotgun slugs.

Perhaps they are just going to take a few more years to "develop"...

I'm thinking that this report should just about guarantee that we get rifle hunting passed in Ontario County. I don't know what I'll do to celebrate but I promise I won't disappoint....................

<grin>

• Like 1

Well this thread got me thinking and i just thought i'd mention it, im one of the lucky ones that live to hunt another year. im not sure if we all ever REALLY think about it when we are sitting in our stands 15 ft up a tree but our lives DEPEND on the work we put into those stands before the season (strapping them on good, making sure everything is safe, no rusted or missing bolts ect) this past yr i got lucky, it was last spring sometime i dont remember EXACTLY when but it was around turkey season... anyhow i made the mistake that has killed many hunters in the past and decided to go "check on" some of my stands while i moved my trail camera, when i arrived at the stand near where i put my camera i slowly climbed up checking the steps (no harness, remember i was just moving my trail cam) when i reached the top (about 14 ft) i grabbed onto a branch on the one side of the stand and stepped onto it..................... and the strap broke!!! needless to say i was VERY glad i had a good hold on that branch and pulled myself back onto the steps but it was a sober reminder of how FAST it can happen... i did not wear a harness at all this past season (i almost TOTALY hunted from the ground) but i wish i would've just so i would've felt safer and it is on my shopping list this yr!!!

i'd have to agree with you guys some of these ARE dumb!!! for example:

11/17 - Tioga. Self-inflicted - The victim was

hauling his rifle up into his tree stand by a

rope wrapped around the trigger of his rifle.

He discharged one round into his lower right

leg.

COME ON DUDE!!!! if your doing that you had better be SURE your gun is unloaded which it appears his wasnt...

as the age of hunters goes up though, the more that fall asleep and out of their stands :O

stands 15 ft up a tree but our lives

I have some 30 and 35 footers you'd love. One has a platform just wide enough to stand. my legs literally shake sometimes.

Edited by Belo

I have some 30 and 35 footers you'd love. One has a platform just wide enough to stand. my legs literally shake sometimes.

I have a friend that climbs cell towers for a living. He loves to be 30 feet up in the air. I'm not as enthused about it as he is. I like going up 20 using my climber during gun season. A little lower for archery.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

I have always been uneasy about heights, but in my younger years I spent lots of hours high up on hangons and climbers..

No more...I'm not as strong, steady or co-ordinated as I used to be..

All I do now is sturdy ladder stands, and I don't even feel secure in them until I am securely strapped in...