Trespasser

SplitG2

Putting out barb wire , traps , etc . could put a landowner in jail if someone was to get injured . Landowners have fewer rights than law breakers !

You can put up all the barb wire you want on your property,it just has to be marked at easy access routs.

the wire was allready there it was just old rusty and had been cut so i strung a double strand back across... i figured its the tresspassers own fault if he walks into it on the way onto my land (the wire is ON the property line) im NOT very friendly to tresspassers!!!

the wire was allready there it was just old rusty and had been cut so i strung a double strand back across... i figured its the tresspassers own fault if he walks into it on the way onto my land (the wire is ON the property line) im NOT very friendly to tresspassers!!!

I don't think it's the walkers they're talking about Joe. Every year it seems a local story hits the news here about guys on sleds or quads getting decapitated by unseen fencing.

I know they're not supposed to be there, but intentionaly set boobey traps can get ya in a lot of trouble you don't want or need.

Yep 80 % of the property around me is farm land from back to the 1800's most have barb wire fences old and new and some are at multiple depths,If someone is on that property with out there permission that is a trasspassers they hurt themselves that is there problem not the farmers.

I don't think it's the walkers they're talking about Joe. Every year it seems a local story hits the news here about guys on sleds or quads getting decapitated by unseen fencing.

I know they're not supposed to be there, but intentionaly set boobey traps can get ya in a lot of trouble you don't want or need.

im quite sure no one will EVER take a quad or snowmobile thru there!!!! its a walker only area... nothing else would ever fit thru there...

I think you're better off with some big bolders. Problem with that is it prevents you from getting on your land too. I dont think there's anything illegal with fencing in your property, although most towns require a permit to do so. If someone walked into your white picket fence and broke their nose because they were talking on their phone are you liable? I dont think so. I do agree with the intentional booby traps though. That's jail time for sure.

One hunting club I hunted years ago had a problem with ATV's & Trail bikes.They put up posted signs blocked openings with downed trees and every other legal means to stop them,would have the state police come when they were going on the property,never could stop them,just too much property with dirt or paved roads around it.

So how do you stop people walking on to your property.

One farm that we hunted down in Sullivan county had a problem also with ATV's that came from a hunting club which had property lower then there property was.They bought a couple thousand feet of elec. fence wire and strung it around the edge of there property along with new posted sines,they had all of the local repair shops save anti freeze bottles for a year and cut 2" wide X 6" long pieces out of them and put them every 6' on the wire.IT Stopped the ATV.s but did Not stop the walkers from coming on the property.

Some home made spike strips (2x4 with some long nails through it) strategically placed on the trail the 4 wheelers/dirt bikers are using will take care of them. Just make sure you know where it is. Lots of things can be done, it all depends on how serious you are about keeping people off of your property. Make sure you are legally posted before trying this. If someone gets hurt on your property, it looks better for you during legal proceedings if they were trespassing.

Some home made spike strips (2x4 with some long nails through it) strategically placed on the trail the 4 wheelers/dirt bikers are using will take care of them. Just make sure you know where it is. Lots of things can be done, it all depends on how serious you are about keeping people off of your property. Make sure you are legally posted before trying this. If someone gets hurt on your property, it looks better for you during legal proceedings if they were trespassing.

it's still trespassing whether it's posted or not. It amazes me the people I talk to that believe non-posted land is free game.

Here is a good one,to start with all of my property is posted.This year as I have done in the past I grew a small crop of pumpkins.When they were ready to pick I placed them all around my house,I Had 6 on the edge of a rock garden formation.One day during rifle season this UTV very slowly goes past my house looking right at the pumpkins.One fellow had on a orange coverall suite and the driver in camo.The see me looking out the window and turn around and go back the direction the came from.The next day I go food shopping.Get home and going up my driveway I notice all of the pumpkins in the front of the house were gone.No snow on the ground and no remaining pieces of pumpkins.Talk about having a set of B***s.

• Like 1

it's still trespassing whether it's posted or not. It amazes me the people I talk to that believe non-posted land is free game.

The difference is that is is only a chargable offense the first time if it IS legally posted. I have had guys tell me while standing on our that they are the cousins of the owner. They were at a loss for words when I informed them that we must be related the....lol. Of course up in that neck of the woods most folks are related. B)

I hate trespassers but it not wise to start setting up Booby-Traps . I am surprised some didn't mention setting out some Claymore mines or posting pics of some of Rambo's devices . Don't get me wrong . I had considered the 2X4 with nails on a trail and also considered the consequences if someone was to be injured by stepping on one .

• Like 1

I hate trespassers but it not wise to start setting up Booby-Traps . I am surprised some didn't mention setting out some Claymore mines or posting pics of some of Rambo's devices . Don't get me wrong . I had considered the 2X4 with nails on a trail and also considered the consequences if someone was to be injured by stepping on one .

I agree. Not wise. Not the solution for every situation. But, then again complaining about it in an online chat forum probably isn't the most effective solution either. I guess the proper solution is to call the DEC, or the police to report it. I've never had too much of a problem with trespassers, thank god, even though my property does border state lands. Most people in my neighborhood know each other, and each others property lines pretty good, and aren't going to flip out over crossing a boundary while out hunting. Just use common sense, and be respectful. Asking permission and talking to your neighbors usually isn't too hard of a thing to do. I find that most folks who do have a problem are out of towners who only get to come to "hunting camp" on a few occasions a year, and I don't blame them one bit, they payed hard earned money for these camps, their property rights should be respected along with everyone else's. I think these properties are more susceptible to trespassing problems though, because the owners are not right there to oversee things, so there is less of a chance of the trespassers getting caught, and the trespassers know it. One suggestion to the guys out there who do have these camps, is to befriend a local, and have them sort of watch over things for you when you can't be around. Or build your camp closer to home so you watch it yourself. Unfortunately posted signs, chains, fences, boulders, downed trees, and booby traps mean nothing to some people. Believe me, random human presence by someone who belongs there every now and then on some of these remote properties will do far more than all of the things listed above to keep the wrong people out.

Unfortunately I know of a couple of guys who will hang a dog leash around their neck while they are trespassing. Gives them the excuse of looking for their dog. Also, since when does a coyote hunter wear dark camo after a fresh snowfall?

I've had my run-ins with poachers too, they always have a lame excuse, I hate em!

The m16 apm AKA bouncing betty would be a better choice. Blow off a couple of legs or someones nuts and the word will spread quickly. :spiteful:

Unfortunately I know of a couple of guys who will hang a dog leash around their neck while they are trespassing. Gives them the excuse of looking for their dog. Also, since when does a coyote hunter wear dark camo after a fresh snowfall?

I've had my run-ins with poachers too, they always have a lame excuse, I hate em!

what am i missing here with the dog thing? Is it legal to trespass if you're looking for your dog, or do people just figure the law will go easier on them if that's what they're doing? If my dog sneaks into your barn, i'm pretty sure I can go in after him...

Belo

My only point was about the guys I know who use this trick when they are knowingly trespassing. Obviously we do not know what the guy in the pic was really up to.

As far as looking in a barn for your dog without permission, a person would have a real hard time walking on two legs out of my barn if I caught them in there unanounced. Way too many breakins and robberies around here. Last week my neighbor arrived at her weekend home to find all of her furniture, wood stove and belongings stolen.

Edited by catskillkid
  • Like 1