Trespasser

SplitG2

Too Late...Another thing...

ppl running yotes with dogs are no more special than the guy that sets up with a buddy to call yotes on his land ......say two parcels over....

Just to have his hunt on his land ruined, because some guys dogs chased the yotes he had called almost into range, off.....Then because these same guys want to find their expensive dogs... finish screw up the guys property for a few days by traipsing through his property trying to keep up...Now lets factor in these guys don't always do this JUST for fun...they are getting $$$ for the pelts.....

So lets delve even deeper shall we....How about the guys that have mini hunting clubs...(larger tracts of land) and these same dog running yote hunters are also advid deer hunters...how convenient it was for them to be running their dogs all over just before deer season...I say was because well now they start at the same time here, and no longer allowed...unless I'm wrong...

PS... we had such a groups near camp...made bow hunting not so fun ..they'd be running the dogs on all the out of towner camps..Then the big camp that surrounds us had to have ppl do routine drive bys which was fine with me...They are worse than I ever thought of being...more power to them...

• Like 1

Too Late...Another thing...

ppl running yotes with dogs are no more special than the guy that sets up with a buddy to call yotes on his land ......say two parcels over....

Just to have his hunt on his land ruined, because some guys dogs chased the yotes he had called almost into range, off.....Then because these same guys want to find their expensive dogs... finish screw up the guys property for a few days by traipsing through his property trying to keep up...Now lets factor in these guys don't always do this JUST for fun...they are getting $$$ for the pelts.....

So lets delve even deeper shall we....How about the guys that have mini hunting clubs...(larger tracts of land) and these same dog running yote hunters are also advid deer hunters...how convenient it was for them to be running their dogs all over just before deer season...I say was because well now they start at the same time here, and no longer allowed...unless I'm wrong...

PS... we had such a groups near camp...made bow hunting not so fun ..they'd be running the dogs on all the out of towner camps..Then the big camp that surrounds us had to have ppl do routine drive bys which was fine with me...They are worse than I ever thought of being...more power to them...

Ha, love ya Grow!

I've seen clubs purposely drop dogs several properties away so they can trespass for deer. I've also seen instances where the hunters doing that blatantly told that to the landowners face. Tough to enforce when dogs can be retrieved legally in VA that way. Different up here for sure, but the premise is the same...ethics apply here and most probably would agree that had the guy asked ahead of time, he probably would have gotten permission to run dogs for yotes or retrieve them.

• Like 1

agreed. it's certainly not a huge deal, but you most likely pay a mortgage and certainty tax on the land.

Sometimes it goes way beyond just paying for the property and paying taxes. I had a bit of a problem with some horseback riders who apparently felt that private property was a bit like a commune and was maintained for the use of them and their stinking horses. So I found a line of surveyor's tape strung through my property with trails hacked through the brush there, and a heavy pocked trail that would twist the ankle of anyone who tried to walk there. Also my ATV trail up the hill was mangled with horse tracks in the mud and a trail liberally sprinkled with horse manure. I had to back-track the horse trail to locate the free-loaders who thought that I was maintaining that ATV trail for their benefit. And also, it was thrill to have discovered, neighbors with ATV's, and dirt bikes also felt that I shouldn't be too excited by the over-use/erosion of my trails. Apparently they were convinced that I built the trail for them and their friends to tear up as well as hacking new trails throughout the property. And then there was the campsite with the pile of ashes from a campfire that I found one hot dry summer.

I mean, you are exactly right, I did scrimp and save for years to be able to buy my property, and I do pay a gob of taxes annually in order to be able to keep that property. I don't see anybody offering to help me out with that, not that I would accept. But there sure is a lot of people who feel that they should have the right to use the property and even screw it up, and endanger it with fire. By the way, is there any amount of insurance that would make up for a burned out chunk of woods and a burned down house if those jerks had had that fire get away from them? Couple all that nonsense with the beer cans and other debris that I have to police up, and while it might seem unreasonable to some, I do get a bit irritated when people start using my land as their own. Oh yeah, and let's not even get into the situations where carefully planned and executed hunts get completely trashed by someone parading past your stand stinking up the area ..... lol.

So I really am quite intolerant of all trespassers and really don't accept very many excuses (as in none) when people invade my domain without even an attempt at gaining permission.

This yr was the worst yr ever on our property for tresspassers. Ive even gone as far as taking broken trail cams and putting them up out of reach in trees where people can see them from the trails to hopefully scare them off. I have strung up rope across all the trails in areas where 4 wheelers cannot get through on the sides and have confronted several people last hunting season about tresspassing. One guy even walked 50 yrds and sat down again. I had to walk him right off the property. Our goal last season was to let everyone know that last yr was the grace period. Any thing this yr will be reported. The straw that broke the camels back was last summer around Sept an elderly neighbor that we let hunt the property was riding his 4 wheeler down one of the trails and was almost run over by 4 kids on dirt bikes tresspassing. He actually ran off the trail and hit a tree. They stopped and he jumped off his 4 wheeler to confront them and they took off. My uncle who own's the land said that was enough and told me to not let anyone on at all. Now they ride there 4 wheelers up and down the property line during the season. Well the joke was on them when they chased that fat little doe over to me one day, Thanks she is delicious.

Geeze, Doc...Don't hold back...Tell us how you REALLY feel....hehehe..

Lol ..... This subject does indeed drive me crazy. You can see how frustrating some of these situations can get. But I think the post by erussell even outdoes the experiences that I have had. My gosh ..... it's getting pretty bad when you start having motor vehicle accidents in your hunting turf because of excess trespasser traffic ...... lol.

• Like 1

Oh yeah over the last 7 yrs ive seen it all. People walkin throught the posted signs and erecting ladder stands was especially annoying but was very satisfying to chop it up and pile it under the tree with my trusty machete. One yr during a nice snow storm I was expecting to see some deer and had stepped off the trail to sit behind a tree over looking a brush lot. Suddenly I heard a dirt bike coming up the trail and I stood up and waited for him to get about even with me. I jumped out from behind the tree and started yelling jibberish and waving my arm and the kid nearly fell of his bike then regained control and gunned it showering me with snow and mud. I bet he really needed to change his panties when he got home.2011 was pretty uneventfull but they came back with a vengance in 2012. I have one neighbor that takes particular delight in walking up to the rope across the trail behind his house and cutting it. I keep replacing it and I put one of my old 35mm cams up with no film in it watching the trail to discourage him from doing it some more. I have to replace the posted signs on one side of the property every yr because some one keep tearing them down. I just come along and tack them back up. This yr they took them with them so I have to go back with a ladder and put them high enough so they cant get to them. Unless they want to bring a ladder with them, then more power to'em, ill just keep putting them back up.This yr I started out hunting the front side of the property for the first two days then on the third I decided to skirt the outside of the property and hunt the back side. Soon as I crested the hill I could see orange. I stood there for a bit and watched to see if it was someone who had permission to hunt there. He was facing away from me and kept looking side to side but never looked behind him. So I yelled over asking who he was. He grabbed his stuff and took off running back over into the stateland.

Sometimes it goes way beyond just paying for the property and paying taxes. I had a bit of a problem with some horseback riders who apparently felt that private property was a bit like a commune and was maintained for the use of them and their stinking horses. So I found a line of surveyor's tape strung through my property with trails hacked through the brush there, and a heavy pocked trail that would twist the ankle of anyone who tried to walk there. Also my ATV trail up the hill was mangled with horse tracks in the mud and a trail liberally sprinkled with horse manure. I had to back-track the horse trail to locate the free-loaders who thought that I was maintaining that ATV trail for their benefit. And also, it was thrill to have discovered, neighbors with ATV's, and dirt bikes also felt that I shouldn't be too excited by the over-use/erosion of my trails. Apparently they were convinced that I built the trail for them and their friends to tear up as well as hacking new trails throughout the property. And then there was the campsite with the pile of ashes from a campfire that I found one hot dry summer.

I mean, you are exactly right, I did scrimp and save for years to be able to buy my property, and I do pay a gob of taxes annually in order to be able to keep that property. I don't see anybody offering to help me out with that, not that I would accept. But there sure is a lot of people who feel that they should have the right to use the property and even screw it up, and endanger it with fire. By the way, is there any amount of insurance that would make up for a burned out chunk of woods and a burned down house if those jerks had had that fire get away from them? Couple all that nonsense with the beer cans and other debris that I have to police up, and while it might seem unreasonable to some, I do get a bit irritated when people start using my land as their own. Oh yeah, and let's not even get into the situations where carefully planned and executed hunts get completely trashed by someone parading past your stand stinking up the area ..... lol.

So I really am quite intolerant of all trespassers and really don't accept very many excuses (as in none) when people invade my domain without even an attempt at gaining permission.

couldn't have said it better. I recently bought a house that was a little below the quality I would have liked, but it came attached with some good hunting land. When I caught some girls smoking weed on my property it set me off. I spend hard earned money and there reply was "well my house is right there". Buying a new piece of land can be tough as someone earlier mentioned. The previous owner may very well have not cared about people using it, and you have to be the bad guy. Funny thing is that i caught the same girls hiking on my property again with trail cams... guess they didn't get the message and while this second instance was after deer season, I'd rather them not be disturbing the bedding area near my stand. Oh man, I'm such a grump :pogranichnik: right?

and as far as the taxes and cost of the land. That's what leasing is for. Want to ride your horses or quads in the summer when i'm not hunting? Maybe I'd be ok if you paid me some money. Maybe I wouldn't. But the not asking is what gets me.

This yr they took them with them so I have to go back with a ladder and put them high enough so they cant get to them. Unless they want to bring a ladder with them, then more power to'em, ill just keep putting them back up.

we always bring a small step stool with us. Makes them visible but still out of reach. Your best defense would be a working trail cam high and hidden to record them if it continues or escalates.

Their were trespassers yesterday; and their will be trespassers tomorrow. I just don't get to excited over it.

Besides, we're only 5 pages in. This has got to be good for a few more. Edit: LOL

how much land do you own?

Edited by Belo

and as far as the taxes and cost of the land. That's what leasing is for. Want to ride your horses or quads in the summer when i'm not hunting? Maybe I'd be ok if you paid me some money. Maybe I wouldn't. But the not asking is what gets me.

If you do go down the road of allowing use for a fee, make sure there is insurance tied to it. NY has legal wording (I can't remember the exact clause) that changes just as soon as money exchanges hands.

This yr was the worst yr ever on our property for tresspassers. Ive even gone as far as taking broken trail cams and putting them up out of reach in trees where people can see them from the trails to hopefully scare them off. I have strung up rope across all the trails in areas where 4 wheelers cannot get through on the sides and have confronted several people last hunting season about tresspassing. One guy even walked 50 yrds and sat down again. I had to walk him right off the property. Our goal last season was to let everyone know that last yr was the grace period. Any thing this yr will be reported. The straw that broke the camels back was last summer around Sept an elderly neighbor that we let hunt the property was riding his 4 wheeler down one of the trails and was almost run over by 4 kids on dirt bikes tresspassing. He actually ran off the trail and hit a tree. They stopped and he jumped off his 4 wheeler to confront them and they took off. My uncle who own's the land said that was enough and told me to not let anyone on at all. Now they ride there 4 wheelers up and down the property line during the season. Well the joke was on them when they chased that fat little doe over to me one day, Thanks she is delicious.

Here too!!!

i did that too but i used barbed wire.... and yes i confronted a couple people also

Simple solution:

Put a nice deer shed antler in a tough to get to spot. Set a nice-sized snare, and hope to snare that Mother-F***** !!

bear trap

I have to say putting up enclosed blinds with tinted windows helps also having windows open with camo curtains also helps,,,They are not sure if I'm in them or not....

Good idea!!!

Here is something that works. In fact I have seen it send trespassers running for the lot-line .... lol. I had this old red coat that long ago wore out it's usefulness. I hung it on a branch about 100 yards from the posted line. It was not clear as to what it was, but that red was obvious as hell from a long distance in any direction.

I seem to remember someone else (I think it was Growalot) who came up with ingenious cardboard cut-outs that looked just like a human silhouette. I know those would work.

As has been already mentioned, do not resort to man-traps, or garrot-style strung wire or even items designed to destroy trespassing machines or their tires. All that will accomplish is law suits that will basically give the trespasser or their heirs the deed to your property, and give you a bunch of years in jail for manslaughter or whatever the appropriate charge might be.

my land buddies as i call them...work in stands as well.....

Haha, what a great idea!

I would however be a bit worried that your "buddies" may one day be discovered as fakes and peppered with gunshot.

Future hunts in that location may make you the "dumby" (no offence) next time your trespassing friends pass through and it really is YOU standing there.

I know it sounds like something you shouldn't have to worry about on your own propperty, but who knows what gets a rise out of some guys.

I've seen bullet holes in a lot of different things while out and about. Makes you wonder if anything is really off limits out there in some folks minds.

Your right that has crossed my mind...but I switch up the color to what I wear...see in the old pic from camp...believe me everyone knows what I where around here....Also in the most part I move them around as I leave for the night...but they bend easily and I also use them in stands and behind the windows in the blinds....Ive used them for a long time and if someone were to shoot them......You'd bet I and the hunting buddy would be in the sheriffs office having a conversation...

(sp)

Edited by growalot