Trespasser

SplitG2

Years ago I was going to buy a house on 100 acres of land that was in foreclosure, but what stopped me was the neighbor across the street on the backside of the property. He had a quad trail running right onto the foreclosure from his 1/4 acre and then all over the place, I just knew he was going to be trouble and fiqured it was not worth it. You bust your ass working to be able to but some land and then some D-Bag thinks it's his to run all over because " hell I've been hunting this land for years".

It's surprising how many coyote hunters don't feel posted signs apply to them.

Almost as surprising as how many others seem to agree.

Most would likely give permission if the coyote hunters would ever bother to ask - like before just going and getting caught.

• Like 1

Your assuming that’s what he is doing, but you don't know for sure. If that is what he is doing what is the big deal about asking for permission?

It has been talked about on here before and for some reason it depends on who is posting seems like some of the people will always agree with certain people and never agree with certain people. Some times it ok to trespass and why make a big deal about and other times it’s not ok.

It’s easy to say or have an opinion about it when it’s not your land or even if you don't own land.

If a person is on someone’s land no matter what the reason is it is trespassing. Out of respect for what is not yours then what is the big deal to ask permission?

Maybe he tried to get permission.

I'm sure the OP is home all the time and, if not, of course he has his name & address on his posted signs, no?

I see a bottle of whisky in his pocket. a sawed of rifle, a controller for a shock collar around his neck, a zipper that needs zipping in the oddest place, oh and like Fast eddie a fat kid on a bike back in the woods. LOL

What I have found extremely odd and upsetting is the ones who condone trespassing and tresspass themsleves are the first ones to post there land and turn another tresspassers butt in the clink. I know a couple people just like that and care not to associate with them whatsoever. There is no explaining to some non land owners the pride, expense, hard work and passion that goes into owning your own land and do not want it all spoiled in the hands of a tresspasser by any means. ASK its pretty simple process, if no one is home and your desire to hunt someones land is that great keep trying until you make contact. If the answer is no, its just that no. With millions of acres of state land throughout NY there is no excuse to not having a place to hunt. NONE. We all own that land who live in NY. Take advantage of it and if your too lazy to ask permission well, that should fit right in your pocket good cause the permission is already there. There isnt too many things in life worse than a thief or a trespasser, There are some but these are up there on my list.

Edited by wdswtr

I'm sure people are on other peoples all the time, most people do not have large acreages, my neighbor kicked a guy off his property cause it was posted, didn't realise the guy owned property on 2 sides and was "cutting the corner" found out the hard way when he shot a brute of a buck and went to retrive it, on neighbors he kicked off property.. never did get to follow the blood trail to retrive it... asking around first is best before reacting, he my be neighbor 2 propertys over that owns 10000 acres taking short cut home or looking for hunting dog.

What on earth gave anyone the idea that he is looking for dogs, or coyote hunting, or any other made-up story. The guy is simply disrespecting the landowner by ignoring the signs and helping himself to something that is not his. You want to make up stories? ..... How about the guy just ripped down one of the landowner's signs and cut through a fence and left behind a trail of beer bottles and candy wrappers. How's that for a made-up story. Or how about the guy spotted a huge buck back in there as he was driving the roads the other night and thought he might just ignore the fact that the season is closed and slip in there and try to get him. That's another great story. But most likely the real story is that he simply feels entitled to use anybody else's property and ignore the signs that try to tell him otherwise. Probably is full of envy against the lucky S.O.B. that owns the land.

Man, I hate trespassers. They're just a bunch of free-loaders that have absolutely no respect for the property of others. You can try to justify it all you want, but the kind of attitudes that run through the mind of trespassers is exactly the same as anyone else who thinks the world owes them something. Let someone start wandering around his front yard and see how tolerant he is of that little act.

No it may not be the most heinous criminal act ever committed, but that doesn't mean that anyone should try to justify it. And it doesn't make the mentality and sense of entitlement that drives that kind of disrespect any easier to take.

• Like 2

Then there is the chance that he is simply lost.

I was going to say that myself. I know I inadvertently wandered on to someones property by mistake once. I was hunting a DEP property that I wasn't familiar with, and crossed the border line. I didn't know it, until I happened to turn around, and noticed the DEP signs pointed back the way I came. I left the other property right away. I was looking for grouse in laurel so thick, it wasn't funny. It does happen.

I doubt that there are many land owners out there that wouldn't stop a person, that they physically found on their land. I don't think the land owner would just assume that the person is looking for his dog, or that he was lost, didn't see the posted signs...what ever and just let the person go on his way without talking to him.

Edited by ants

I doubt that there are many land owners out there that wouldn't stop a person, that they physically found on their land. I don't think the land owner would just assume that the person is looking for his dog, or that he was lost, didn't see the posted signs...what ever and just let the person go on his way without talking to him.

Agreed. The landowner definitely should ask what the person is doing there. In my case, there was no house whatsoever where I had accidentally crossed the line. In fact, when I did finally see one of the posted signs, it stated the land owner lived in Jersey. Nonetheless, I did leave right away.

OK Doc lets go with this story...because to be honest...I'd make a fair criminal if I a mind to....

Knowing everyone and their brother uses surveillance cams...I decide to case a place or 2 and get dressed as if I'm hunting or lost a hunting dog...

.OMG...how dumb of me.... hunters aren't thieves/ thieves aren't hunters......Well.... so I case a few places and ooopps get a knock on the door...DEC...bla..bla..bla...They say well that's OK no problem...we'll just explain to the owner...then 2 wks later everyone gets hit....hhhhmmmmm

Little less conspicuous that driving a auctioned time warner...frontier.or some other delivery truck down a hunting camps drive...Though on some a power company colored truck would work.

PS......I had a partner..never caught on cam ...no one knows about and the stuffs at his place....See getting caught on cam and not tampering with them...well I knew where they were hidden as to avoid later

Edited by growalot

That is defently a radio around his neck with a dog leash. After blowing the picture up a bit it also looks like he has a side arm on his right hip. I am not saying what he is doing is right or wrong but that look on his face is pain. It's not a mean look it is a look of pain. I know here in upstate NY (Oneida County) yesterday with the wind chill we were at about 6 degrees so if it was the same in your area yesterday I am sure this poor sap was just looking for shelter.

Split----I wasn't condoning anyone to trespass. I grew up hunting behind beagles and hounds and I know our dogs made it onto other peoples property even when we were hunting large tracts we had permission for and even on large State Land. Unfortunately as good as the dogs were trained we could never seem to get them to buy into the readign of posted signs...lol. When running cottontails it was never a problem but when running whites this time of year it could be off to the races when they got on a male. Even worse, for some reason it seemed the hounds that were great on whites would take a fox at the drop of a hat. It was not uncommon for the dogs to end up over a mile away from where we were hunting becasue, apparently, the quarry didn't read the signs either...lol. We never trespassed. we used to try to cut the dogs off at an intersectin road when they crossed and with todays technology with tracking collars cutting them off and finding the dogs is a lot easier.

While not as old as Pygmy I do remember when no land around where we hunted was posted and no one cared if you ran through. You knew the big farmers and they knew you. Different times back then. Many of the really big tracts of private land are gone, all broken up. Gettign permission during a run that has gone bad isn't all that easy.(NO EXCUSE). Imagine trying to get every property owners permission in a mile radius, or more, prior to setting the dogs loose. Worse yet imagine trying to get permission while tracking your dog on one of those runs. The dog is likely already though the property. If not how would you ever get permission with so many landowners living elsewhere? Again, not condoning trespassing but having run dogs I can understand how a hunt could go bad.

Do you know guys around that area that have hounds? Mant times they aren't kept as house pets, so a drive around the block may very well give you a lead on who it was.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club