Which Ammo?

fowlfan

I have used HEVIShot Hevi-13 for quite a while. I have had some really good results with it, I shoot #6 shot in a 12 gauge. Last fall I tried Magnum Blend and stuffed a bird at 50+ yards, a one shot clean kill. I'm stuck on HEVIShot, it hasn't let me down. What do you use and have you had good results?

I really don't think all these ultra power loads are really necessary? like hunting deer with a Win 300 magnum or whatever. My God 3.5 inch shells that knock the turkey and you senseless? I know guys that wont use anything over a 20 ga. and I have killed dozens of turks with regular 2 3/4 number 6 shot high brass loads, nothing fancy. And when your shooting at them at 50 yds you will probably be chewing lead at dinner time?

Hitting the topknot and neck of a turkey at 50 yds. is quite a feat. Using a heavy load with an initial "stated" velocity of only 1090fps (like those big 2 & 2 1/4 oz. payloads) leaves a lot to be desired in the remaining energy department at that range as well.

Loads that produce the best pattern density and velocity are what I pick. Which means lots of rounds fired at the patterning board. A single pellet needs to produce 2.5 ft./lbs. of energy to penetrate and kill a turkey. No pellet (4,5,6) carries that much energy at 50 yds. Most peter out below that ft./lb. number by 45 yds. 

I'll pass on a 50 yd. shot. The farthest I've connected was 35 yds. The closest was 15 yds. I use copper-plated #5's and sometimes the old Remington 4x6 Duplex.

I have always thought that buying expensive "designer" ammo for turkey hunting is a mistake. Plain Jane, off-the shelf lead in 3" 12 or 20 ga. will work fine. And, as suggested earlier, 2 3/4" shells have killed a lot of birds.

I like the Remington nitro's 3" and 3 1/2" ... 13$ a box of 10.. Knocks em down out there to 50 just like the super expensive hevishot. I'll never buy that stuff way over rated. One I would try is the Winchester extended range. IV personally seem birds take at 80 yards with it out of a 10 gauge. But I'm cheap and stick with remingtons but again it all adds up to no 2 shotguns shoot the same period.

I have used HEVIShot Hevi-13 for quite a while. I have had some really good results with it, I shoot #6 shot in a 12 gauge. Last fall I tried Magnum Blend and stuffed a bird at 50+ yards, a one shot clean kill. I'm stuck on HEVIShot, it hasn't let me down. What do you use and have you had good results?

Do you or a family member work for Hevishot?

What state are you from?

I like Hevishot for turkeys. Sure lead kills, so does steel if you get them close enough. I've been hunting turkeys for a long time and I know that a really close shot is not always possible. Toms get hung up and sometimes, a 50 yard shot is what it takes, especially later in the season. I spend a ton on turkey hunting, another $20 a season is nothing.

I use 3" or 3 1/2" # 4 or 5 out of an extra full turkey choke. But if someone told me that I could only use a standard heavy field load out of an old full choke 870 or Mossberg 500,,,,, I wouldn't bitch too much. What ever works I guess.

Edited by ants

personally i use number 5 winchester xx supreme 3.5 in .shoots. 24in circle at 50 yards, slug sized hole at 20 thus the need for a red dot scope.... really don't see need for hevi for turkey, but if your confident in using what you do stick with it.....

I know a guy, who is a very successful turkey hunter. He only uses #4 steel shot out of a modified choke. He swears by it and says that it shoots super tight. Like I said..what ever shoots the best out of your gun.