2013 Prep work? What are you doing to prep for the 2013 Hunting Season?

burmjohn

What are you doing to prep for the 2013 Hunting Season?

Planning on turning over my two small plots soon, then another turn over before we plant.  Not to sure what to plant yet, suggestions?

Would like to get a few more stands up and trails cut as well.

Time is tight this year though, baby #2 will be here in less then two months :).

Right now I'm concentrating on May 1st. After that, the local farmers are planting corn again in my hunting area. I went up this past weekend with BIL and we planted some trees and also tilled the garden to get ready for planting veges. Hoping to get the local farmer to plant some clover in one area of our grounds near the bow stand.

Due to another cold snap coming ...Today I raked about a 1/4 acre of plots and over seeded the clover and put in some beef bank...rain due to night and that should help the new apple tree I planted yesterday...I hope to rake a little tomorrow and over seed another trail plot with the clover....

sighting in my new rifle. Got a remington 700 in .270 then making sure my shotgun and bow are sighted in correctly. Then always loooking for more spots to hunt. Also waiting to get  my mount back in June of my 8 point from laast season

I try to get out scouting at least once a week this time of year. I'll be moving 2 stands slightly, adding a new stand, rotating trail cameras, more scouting. April and May are great times to be in the woods. I'll pull my cameras at the end of April and put them back out in late July. Early Sept is time put up other stands.

>>>>------------>

• Like 1

The value of scouting Feb-April cannot be understated. I just don't get guys who want to target big bucks yet don't scout at that time of year - it's mind boggling. I bet I put in more time scouting at that time of year than what I do in a treestand. Once green-up hits, you lose that ability to find what you need.

• Like 1

i've been moving my stands around, and picking climber trees since the snow melted. Got some new property this yr this it going to require some new stand purchases and im likely going to build a box blind or two on it as well. Other than that, getting a new string non my bow and im ready to go

The value of scouting Feb-April cannot be understated. I just don't get guys who want to target big bucks yet don't scout at that time of year - it's mind boggling. I bet I put in more time scouting at that time of year than what I do in a treestand. Once green-up hits, you lose that ability to find what you need.

i just enjoy hiking the woods with the dog. the added scouting is just a bonus. Surprised more people don't just like getting outdoords when the weather breaks and before it's too hot and weedy/prickers to get through some spots.

i just enjoy hiking the woods with the dog. the added scouting is just a bonus. Surprised more people don't just like getting outdoords when the weather breaks and before it's too hot and weedy/prickers to get through some spots.

I always think its funny when some of the guys i hunt with call it luck that me and another friend have a nice buck on the ground while there just seeing does. They dont understand that hunting to me isnt just done in October and November. 

Took down the 32 stands, will be going over straps, cables, nuts and bolts, seats, cushions same as every off season. plowing planting as soon as weaher permits.

Wow. G-Man, that there is a lot of stands. I dont like messing with the 4 I have. Do you have help?

• 1 month later...

I always think its funny when some of the guys i hunt with call it luck that me and another friend have a nice buck on the ground while there just seeing does. They dont understand that hunting to me isnt just done in October and November. 

yep. i get the same. The same guys also shoot the first doe they see never realizing if they could hold off a nice buck might be right behind her. I think I've only shot 2 or 3 bucks that weren't with does.

Apples to apples, when I started scouting hard in late winter early spring...I noticeably started becoming a better hunter.

agreed. I hike my land all year long. Late winter with snow on the ground can really give you a better idea of where they will be in the late fall.

Also maintaining your runs is often underestimated. If you have a money stand and all the sudden the deer stop showing up. Chances are a tree fell somewhere and the run they were coming in on has been detoured.

I definately see the benefits of scouting year round.  You can definately see more sign later winter and early spring.  However, on my 70 acres, I am always concerned about blowing deer out of their beds and creating unneccesary pressure.  Any thoughts?

I definately see the benefits of scouting year round.  You can definately see more sign later winter and early spring.  However, on my 70 acres, I am always concerned about blowing deer out of their beds and creating unneccesary pressure.  Any thoughts?

wouldn't worry about it that time a year. Especially if it's just once or twice a month. Generally they're more concerned with droppoing their fawns later in spring. But there are turkey hunters, hikers, four wheelers etc. Very few land is safe from the "occasional disturbance" and it's funny how deer react to me during turkey season and how they react during the fall. it's like they know...