Roadkill deer

fasteddie

Well, it's just a theory but it is getting to be fawning time. The does are ditching last year's fawns so they can begin giving birth to this years crop of fawns. For a lot of last  year's fawns, this is the first time they have been out on their own. Perhaps they don't always make the best decisions around traffic when they are on their own.

• Like 1

If the does had an early drop of a fawn/fawns and they get them up an moving, the fawns hesitate at the road. I have seen does start to cross and as soon as the fawns hooves hit the asphalt they lock up. It must be a strange feeling the first time. That can leave momma right in the travel path as she waits for the fawns to come across. I also think Doc hit another cause of many too at this time of year.

Road kills are good eating, but MRI is needed and they have to be processed quickly or stored in a cooler.

I gave up on trying to salvage roadkilled deer. Too much clotted up meat lost. Wasn't worth the time it takes to butcher them.

Drove into Irondequoit to attend a neice's First Communion . Saw 3 dead deer on the way in from Ontario and saw another 4 dead deer on the way home . What's going on ?

doe with a big belly dead on 104w this morning. they're moving to find safe spots to drop. seems like this time of the year is almost as bad as the rut sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...