Good year for apples?

I haven't seen this myself, so I don't believe you. You'll have to take a pic......... next thing you'll be telling me is the leaves are changing color too!  :biggrin:  (OK, inside joke)

My friend that owns the orchard in Williamson also owns the trucking business that carts off most of the apples to Motts and the numerous other places. You'll just have to take my word on it as I'm not out there at the moment...lol.

I noticed apples today, where I didn't even realize I had apple trees! Don't know if this is the first year that they've produced or what? As I was driving in the lane at camp, I noticed apples laying in my lane in 2 different spots! I thought WTH? Someone must be messing with me! Got out and looked, and sure enough, loaded apple trees! Had the place for 14 years now and don't ever recall having this happen before.

now that you've found them, trim them up for next year.........they'll produce more reliably if you get rid of a lot of useless branches that suck up what can be going to produce apples on a more regular basis.

now that you've found them, trim them up for next year.........they'll produce more reliably if you get rid of a lot of useless branches that suck up what can be going to produce apples on a more regular basis.

I made a mental note that I want to get in there with a chainsaw and trim around the apple trees, to get rid of some brush and nutrient/sunlight competition.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that the wild apple crop is doing just fine this year:

post-11-0-89024600-1378808128_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-98811200-1378808207_thumb.jpg

Judging from these torn up areas under the trees, I would say that the deer are eating everyone that drops.

post-11-0-04527300-1378808249_thumb.jpg

This thicket is criss-crossed by all kinds of trails like this. Lots of opportunities for ambush sites.

post-11-0-43775500-1378808720_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-05995400-1378808750_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This is the first year ever that there is so much food out there....the apples are piling up under trees and it smells like a cider mill around here...We've never had so many choke cherries left on the trees and usually my trail clover plots are mowed to the ground...but the acorns...beech...hophorn...hickory ...apples....ect are dropping tons of mast...and all the farmers put in more oats/clover than any thing else due to the weather this spring....I shined a flash light across the red clover field last night and it twinkled like the night sky....all bedded down for a evening rest

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed today that some crabapple trees don't have any apples left laying on the ground, while other trees 20 yards away, have bushels scattered under them, untouched. Weird!

Talked to the neighbor, who owns the bordering apple orchard. He said he's never had so many apples before, but the problem is, neither has anyone else! Seems it has been a bumper crop all over the country. With so many apples, prices are low! He said he'll probably just break even this year, with his bumper crop! He said that the local Motts processing plant can't even take all the apples! He said the drops that he usually picks up for juice, won't even be worth it this year, so they'll just lay and rot! (And feed the deer!  B) )

CF if you have oaks in the area they are hitting them rt now...I have one tree...hasn't dropped an apple yet and branches are now hanging low with the weight..love it!!...others apples are laying on grounded turning brown...clover and acorns...and hickory nuts

Not lucky enough to have any oaks, possibly within a mile or so! I've talked to about every landowner in the area and no one has any oaks! I planted several gobbler sawtooth oaks a few years ago, but none are old enough to start producing yet. I have one (the biggest) that is producing what looks like acorn "caps" on some branches and I was told that was a sign that it will produce acorns next year, but I don't know.?

My property is bordered by triticale, apple orchards, corn fields, and ~500 yards away is a soybean field. Not to mention my foodplots (clover, chicory, alfalfa, WW, WR, & oats). They have lots to choose from! Maybe they're too FULL to eat the apples?  B)