Pics from around the Farm

Thought I would share some pics from around the farm...

Clover,  21 tree apple orchard and 4 acres of corn should keep them happy

20130727_114349_zpsb66dfe04.jpg

Another view of the corn plot.   I broadcast my corn and wouldn't waste my time or money with a planter!

20130727_102410_zpseb8d9251.jpg

This area was planted in Spring Buckwheat, yesterday I planted it in Brassicas just in time for the rain yesterday.

I am trying WI Winter Greens for the first time.  I don't use Buck on Bag seed usually, but wanted to try this for my own after hearing some good buzz on winter greens.  Doubt I will notice a difference

20130727_133217_zpsc8f3c28f.jpg

Close up of the orchard.  These trees are 4 and 5 years old,  fence came down this year.

20130727_145320_zps82726b0a.jpg

Clover is king, this is on the opposite side of the corn plot.  This clover is SPRING planted last year... yes you can plant in the Spring if you have the tools and knowledge.

20130727_150333_zpsb73444c0.jpg

This is a enterprise 5th leaf on b118  5th leaf means this summer is it's 5th year in my ground

20130727_100443_zps6addaf4a.jpg

Crimson Golds  4 year old tree.  4th leaf  on M7

20130727_095217_zpsa0a0aaaf.jpg

This is a little 1/3 acre plot tucked in heavy mature woods.  All day sits here are productive.

20130601_115633_zps0acfd926.jpg

• Like 3

Looks great!! Where you gonna set me up Oct 1st :biggrin:. Ive only planted WI and have always been happy. One yr I did plant wintergreens in a small 1/4 acre and the deer killed them b4 bow season, leaving me nothing going into the season.

Edited by zag

Great job...I see you said the fencing came down around the apple trees?....be careful with buck rubbing,,it the rubbing that has taken out many of my wild apples of the same size....You've done a fantastic job.......I planted WI tall tines...we'll have to come pare notes ;)

Grow....  hard to see but I put the main T post as the tree support and then I put in half inch conduit around the tree to prevent buck rubs.... it should work.      I also use aluminum window screen at the bottom to prevent voles, etc from girdling the bases and prevent apple borer damage.

IMG_2152_zps05273548.jpg

• Like 2

Mike you always do a great job! I hope u got a great deal on the WI.

Hey George,  No I paid out the azzz for it.   We will see.    I am also putting in strips of oats the last weekend in August along the edges and through a trail in the corn.   I just use feed oats for my plantings...  cheap!

• Like 2

WOW!!!  And I wonder why Western deer grow such nice antlers!!!  Truly Awesome...  What fun stalking on that farm must be!!!  I bet rainbows end on this land, a true pot of grown gold!!!  Epic and still growing, NICE!!!

• Like 1

That looks great...where is that ?? Send me the exact GPS coordinate.......lol.jk Looks like a lot of hardwork paid off . Hope it pays off with venison too..

When you broadcast the corn , did you drag something back over it to cover seed in soil a little?

Corn,   I bush hog the corn in Feb/march depending on snow depth etc.

Soil test when I can get a shovel in the ground

Plow

Disc

Drag with a drag harrow

Spread fertilizer usually 300 pounds per acre of triple 15,  then broadcast corn, usually 20 pounds per acre

Then I re-drag to cover,   at week 4-6 after germination I spread urea, I like 150-200 pounds per acre, you must do this right before a heavy rain otherwise you are going to lose the N to the atmosphere.

Week 4-8 I spray generic round up... I base my timing on the weeds.  I just run over the corn to spread urea and or spray weeds.... it doesn't effect your crop.

• Like 1

Corn,   I bush hog the corn in Feb/march depending on snow depth etc.

Soil test when I can get a shovel in the ground

Plow

Disc

Drag with a drag harrow

Spread fertilizer usually 300 pounds per acre of triple 15,  then broadcast corn, usually 20 pounds per acre

Then I re-drag to cover,   at week 4-6 after germination I spread urea, I like 150-200 pounds per acre, you must do this right before a heavy rain otherwise you are going to lose the N to the atmosphere.

Week 4-8 I spray generic round up... I base my timing on the weeds.  I just run over the corn to spread urea and or spray weeds.... it doesn't effect your crop.

you better have round up ready corn or will kill it.

Edited by F-150

Of course it is RR ready corn.  Corn is  a grass, so if it is not RR it would have died weeks ago when I sprayed.

Fertilizer costs... with Semi-free seed... yes NWTF per acre I am guessing 200 per acre.  You can grow a good crop of corn for less, but all you are going to do is drain your soil of it's value.