Savage/Nikon Package

Five Seasons

Toying with spending some money I don't really have on a rifle now that they're legal in Wayne.

Thought this package looked pretty decent in .308... Wondering if I'm better off trying to pick up a used .308 or 30-06?

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Savage-Model-11-Trophy-Hunter-XP-Centerfire-Rifle-Package&i=721846&r=view&from=grid

Have the same rifle (.308)with wood stock and love it. Accu trigger is great, real accurate, and have used it to harvest my neighbors buffalo when needed for butchering. It definately has knock down power. The last deer I took went only 25 yards... Great gun!!

Probably going to want some better glass down the road but this will get it done for  any deer hunting in NY. THe 308 is a proven round and will serve you well. You can go light and shoot yotes and chicks or use it all the way up for Moose. Lat year one of my best friends took a Moose at 200 yards with a 308 with 180 grain bullets.

I have tried thesavage with an  accu-trigger. tool a while for me to get use to the feel but that gun shot MOA with factory rounds.

Probably going to want some better glass down the road but this will get it done for  any deer hunting in NY. THe 308 is a proven round and will serve you well. You can go light and shoot yotes and chicks or use it all the way up for Moose. Lat year one of my best friends took a Moose at 200 yards with a 308 with 180 grain bullets.

I have tried thesavage with an  accu-trigger. tool a while for me to get use to the feel but that gun shot MOA with factory rounds.

yeah there are cheaper packages with simmons scopes, but I've never had issues with nikons. I really don't have any shots over 200 yards so I should be ok.

but what do you mean by chicks?

Yeah...chucks. although if the damn next door neighbor doesn't get rid of at least his new roosters I may be shooting chicks. Damn things are so young they don't even wieght intil sunrise to start their crap....RIGHT OUT SIDE MY WINDOW!!

At my age being a Perv takes too much energy. I agree with Pygmy. I would rather have a nap or go hunting...lol.

• Like 1

Belo, save your $. Don't buy that rifle, instead use that $ towards a crossbow. Next year you will be able to use it. A good crossbow will outshoot that Savage at 200 yards any day of the week!

Haha, sorry. Had to say it.

• Like 1

The guy at work bought that rifle a couple years ago but it had a shitty scope on it, the price was a bit less because of it , the scope didn't last one season and to top it off he blew a deers front leg off (never found the deer) and was absolutely devastated when he called me and told me what happened ,we shot the gun the next day and it was all over the place from the scope internals breaking ,  the rifle it self has worked flawlessly and now he has a bushnell elite with the 600 DOA scope on it and it is a rock solid shooter that put meat in the freezer.

Looks nice...  Not so sure about the scope.  My savage Model 110 in 30-06 is awesome, quarter sized groups at 50 yards 1 1/2 at 100 (Federal 165 grain NP, NBT, or Sierra Game King BTSP.) consistent ammo is key.  (Reloads worked well!)  Bought that in 1987-88, trigger is a little tight but I am use to it.  Savage makes good guns that last!  My stock shows the wear of 25 years that's for sure.  She is a nail driver when on the bench!  They are great guns and with a synthetic stock and protected barrel it will last a long time.  My guns take a beating that's for sure and Savage has taken the brunt of my adventures and still shoots great.  Good luck if you choose one.

There's a local gun auction (Hessney in Geneva) coming up on Sat Aug 17th, that's probably not too far from you. (It's only ~5 miles off the thruway, so it's easy to find and convenient.) I see they have a few brand new unfired in the box Savage .308's listed. http://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/1822736.html  Some have scopes, one stainless. Also lots of other calibers to choose from. Might be able to get a good deal on one there.

Wait a couple of weeks Herb Philipsons will be out there opening their new store in Newark.  They have this same rifle for 499.99.

i'm confused, is this a store or a guy? any more details?

There's a local gun auction (Hessney in Geneva) coming up on Sat Aug 17th, that's probably not too far from you. (It's only ~5 miles off the thruway, so it's easy to find and convenient.) I see they have a few brand new unfired in the box Savage .308's listed. http://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/1822736.html  Some have scopes, one stainless. Also lots of other calibers to choose from. Might be able to get a good deal on one there.

thanks for the heads up. not sold on savage, just need a nice gun at a reasonable price. unfortunately that's my son's 1st birthday. oh well.

Edited by Belo

HP is a great place to buy it. I worked at one when I was younger.

Much better prices on some items (guns, ammo, some stands/clothing) than Dick's/Gander.

It's opening by TSC in Newark August 15 or so.

• Like 1