hunting with your other half

fu2lmao

Anyone hear hunt with their spouse????

My wife recently mentioned she would like to take the safety course and try it out.  I used to consider the season to be sacred time of hanging with the fellas, breaking bread, cracking a beer open and sharing stories.  I guess it would be nice to have someone to keep warm with in the blind with.

I dedicate every opening day southerntier to hunt with my wife, she got her course on her own back in 2010, shot her first deer in 2011 made a perfect shot on a nice doe, and last year we saw 13 deer opening day and she had an opportunity at a nice wide 8 point, she didn't have a good shot so she didn't take it...it is fun to get her out there, it also gives me more time to hunt with the boys...LOL

I actually really enjoy taking my girlfriend with me hunting and so does she.  We only go a couple times a season together but its nice to get out and just relax with her.  I wont bring her out during the gun season for deer tho just due to the number of people out and all of the shooting.  She really gets into it and points out sign and asks questions.  Her favorite thing to do is shed and dead hunt during the winter.  She doesn't have the heart to kill anything....yet :D She just took her pistol permit course this past weekend too all on her own wanting to go. 

My wife has taken her safety course.  She tags along sometimes when I scout and a few times while squirrel hunting.  She doesn't really care for hunting so she's mainly going for the hike.  Purely as an observer.  She gets her exercise in while keeping each other company.  While I enjoy her company during these more casual outings, she doesn't want to nor would I want her to accompany for the still hunts.  I doubt she would sit there for hours on end without getting bored and annoying the crap out of me.  Would ruin our marriage.

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 1

good point Elmo doubt mine would stay put for too long also

lol verminater, that reminds me of one year I took my 16yr old daughter to observe a turkey hunt but not before she made me purchase her some very fashionable camo, she made me pass up several fall season birds as they "looked happy", then again this is the same girl who when she was 6 named all the earthworms in my container of bait then said now that they have names I had to release them

I rarely go hunting without my wife.

She is originally from Brazil where only criminals have guns.  She never touched one until we were engaged.  I never thought she would hunt because of her absolute fear of guns when we met.  Today she has a 2 shotguns and 2 rifles of her own and is a better shot than I am.  

I think the difference between most men and most women is that men, in general, are attracted to the sport of trophy hunting while women are attracted by the ability to put deliscious food on the table.  Keep this in mind if you want to get your wife into the sport.  My wife will shoot a good buck if she has a chance but she is always hunting for a yearling doe.  I like to eat and I encourage it.

If you can get your better half to enjoy hunting, I highly recommend it.  There's nothing better than when you are looking for a camp property and your wife insists that she must see both deer and turkey sign or she 's not interetsed.  The exception is when she mentions that she might want to go out west for an elk hunt on next year's vacation.  Maybe I just got lucky and found the best wife ever.

My wife is pretty much an anti hunter, wouldn't be in my best interest

Im with you on that one my friend. Im very lucky to be able to have my miount on the living room wall. She says as long as she doesn't have to hear about it or see It, Dead that is, then fine.....

Back when i was on my quest for the grand slam in turkey hunting I had all my species then decided on the royal slam.I did my grand slam travelling alone,none of my hunting buddies were interested in a slam hunt..My wife who never hunted with me before said "MEXICO" sounds like vacation!.I said ok you can come..well if your coming you might as well shoot a turkey..you guessed it..the wifes first turkey was a mexican goulds that I called in for her and it all happened in about an hour after fly down!."GEE thats fun lets do it again"While we were on the trip there were two outdoor writers from NY who quickly looked up the books.No female world slam holder in NY registered.So off we go..I get to do my whole grand slam all over again with her so she can get a bird then its off to the jungle in mexico for the occelated birds..crazy experience hunting turkeys around jaguars and howler monkeys!.Then one year she shoots a nice 8pt in Pa.Thats it its official I cant go without her.This coming spring we are planning a turkey hunt in Canada she wants to kill turkeys eveywhere!

Im with you on that one my friend. Im very lucky to be able to have my miount on the living room wall. She says as long as she doesn't have to hear about it or see It, Dead that is, then fine.....

Yes you are lucky. My heads went from the living room to the garage after I got married lol. just easier

my wife is taking hers right now. I'm not sure she will ever be able to shoot a deer, but is interested in turkey and duck. I agree that I enjoy the "sacred time" but would never be upset if she got real into it. Although we'd need to find a babysitter to start at 5am :)

all that said I don't dual hunt, so she'd be in a blind somewhere near me...