Is this where hunting is headed?

Four Seasons

5 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

i love it, im part of a solid group and we all hunt the same way. Beside who wants to pass around a jar of apple pie moonshine by themselves while celebrating a kill?

that's how i gun hunt. with my family. Archery for me is a lone wolf deal though... unless i need help dragging haha. beers back in the garage always!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Belo said:

that's a very good point indeed. I think the modern hunter views hunting as a hobby (I know I do). But it wasn't that long ago that it wasn't really a hobby and a lot cheaper in the 70's to go deer hunting a few weekends vs souping up your camaro. Cars and golf have always been expensive. Hunting is a newly expensive thing and the most expensive part is the land. The north american model was meant to allow access to game for all (not the kings deer) and that has slipped some in the last 20-30 years. 

what stops a guy from a cheap hunt currently, go to state land not counting the cost of  a gun / bullets... really the only thing u need to buy specifically is a licenses, and orange vest or hat... 

Edited by land 1
  • Like 4

For the first decade or so of my hunting career my hunting crew hunted on a beautiful 200 acre parcel South of Rochester that was privately owned.  There were tons of deer, although they were mostly does.  In return for permission to hunt and camp on his land we had a couple of "work days".  I was a kid without many skills but I could paint, stack firewood, etc.  My buddies were in trades and could do pretty much anything the elderly gentleman needed done.  He would make us lunch.  We had a good time on those work days.  We were friends and it was a great relationship until he passed away.  On "the farm", over the last 20 years many have asked to hunt.  But never once has anyone offered some help in exchange for hunting access.  For those looking for private land to hunt on I suggest offering to do some work for the landowner.  It sets a tone and perhaps might start a long term relationship.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, Belo said:

that's how i gun hunt. with my family. Archery for me is a lone wolf deal though... unless i need help dragging haha. beers back in the garage always!

and remember to NEVER a post a pic of a buck on the forum!

Edited by BizCT
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Belo said:

I agree but then think about some of these leases. You're spending thousands to literally just deer hunt and gaining no equity while doing it. 

That's where the just deer hunting part comes in. Not a ton of people lease $8K parcels. They do in groups. $2K to deer hunt 453 acres with three other guys is a pretty good deal when you have zero liability beyond the lease amount. You are not tied to a bank note, nor taxes. 

My partner and I lease ground and spend $6,500 or so across four leases in three states. I get offsets through my business taxes so it's not really that when all said and done, other than it being up front at one point and then I recoup. Same with him through his business.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

I think it also depends on how you like to hunt and where you are in life. I used to have permission to hunt an area that has more deer than the location I hunt now. But in that location all I could do for the most part is put up a treestand. Where I hunt now there is less deer but I can do a whole lot more to be involved in the whole hunting aspect. And if I still had permission at the other place, I wouldn't hunt it often. I enjoy the whole aspect of improvement for hunting so much. It costs more and doesn't have the deer density but I actually prefer it. I feel more like I've earned the deer and the hunt.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 6

5 hours ago, land 1 said:

what stops a guy from a cheap hunt currently, go to state land not counting the cost of  a gun / bullets... really the only thing u need to buy specifically is a licenses, and orange vest or hat... 

I’d say stupidity mostly. 

19 hours ago, land 1 said:

nothing, many of us do just that. But it's hard to ignore the fact that "free access" to private land has greatly diminished over the last 30 years. I know I hunted Darien when I lived in Buffalo and a national forest when I lived in MS. Had good success in MS, but it was a LOT more work than private NY. Darien was pretty crowded, bud I did have some action. 

Again, if I had a choice between public or not at all, I'm hunting public for sure. 

18 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I think it also depends on how you like to hunt and where you are in life. I used to have permission to hunt an area that has more deer than the location I hunt now. But in that location all I could do for the most part is put up a treestand. Where I hunt now there is less deer but I can do a whole lot more to be involved in the whole hunting aspect. And if I still had permission at the other place, I wouldn't hunt it often. I enjoy the whole aspect of improvement for hunting so much. It costs more and doesn't have the deer density but I actually prefer it. I feel more like I've earned the deer and the hunt.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

spot on where I'm at Rob. I enjoy pre-season work and land improvement almost more than hunting itself. On most public land you're not even legally allowed to cut a branch lol.

38 minutes ago, Belo said:

or even social media ;)

Can't you just blur the background if you are that worried about someone finding your spot? Like those paranoid fisherman do...

Edited by BizCT

20 minutes ago, BizCT said:

Can't you just blur the background if you are that worried about someone finding your spot? Like those paranoid fisherman do...

On a previous piece of land I hunted there is a new hunter, and on the current piece of land I hunt there was a hunter. There were some posts this past season that could very well have been a member busting my balls, or it could very well have been one of them. If they know who I am, there's no amount of blurring that would change anything.

At the end of the day, I'm not secretive to who I am. I've shared pictures of my home, my mug and my kid's mugs many times. This is a public forum that doesn't even require a registration to view. I don't gain anything by sharing big buck pics, but I do run the risk of negative impacts from doing so. It's why I generally don't even share trailcam pics as there's nothing to gain except cred from internet strangers... and I don't hunt for respect from others, I hunt for me. 

There are a few trolls who brag about shooting button bucks that think me not sharing pics is because I don't have success and again that's fine with me, in fact I'd almost prefer that you guys think I suck at hunting.

They can do them, and I'll do me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

On a previous piece of land I hunted there is a new hunter, and on the current piece of land I hunt there was a hunter. There were some posts this past season that could very well have been a member busting my balls, or it could very well have been one of them. If they know who I am, there's no amount of blurring that would change anything.

At the end of the day, I'm not secretive to who I am. I've shared pictures of my home, my mug and my kid's mugs many times. This is a public forum that doesn't even require a registration to view. I don't gain anything by sharing big buck pics, but I do run the risk of negative impacts from doing so. It's why I generally don't even share trailcam pics as there's nothing to gain except cred from internet strangers... and I don't hunt for respect from others, I hunt for me. 

There are a few trolls who brag about shooting button bucks that think me not sharing pics is because I don't have success and again that's fine with me, in fact I'd almost prefer that you guys think I suck at hunting.

They can do them, and I'll do me.

It happened to me on Bowsite, so I guess I understand trail cam pics. But once a buck is dead, it's dead. It's all yours

Edited by BizCT

On 8/29/2022 at 4:17 PM, Four Seasons said:

100 acre hobby farm across the road is paying over 6 grand in taxes. Of course that has buildings and such but I can’t imagine a $350.000 fifty acre purchase in Livingston/ Wyoming Cty area getting off that cheap. 

$1800 or so school $800 T/C . File 305r ag cert yearly with assessor.

Just got a50 page assessment I commissioned, our land comes out at a little less then double that land above .

54A0E2CD-E915-4545-9D22-8DF30A37ADEB.png

4930B196-EB4C-4355-8212-0652D45D9D98.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

To a point yes. But trust me when I say..You kill a good buck every year and show pic’s you will have eyes watching you. Guaranteed!!!

exactly. sometimes a dead buck is worse than a trail cam and even more so if you're consistent. I've already had issues with trespassers, I don't need any more. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Belo said:

exactly. sometimes a dead buck is worse than a trail cam and even more so if you're consistent. I've already had issues with trespassers, I don't need any more. 

what about hiring a HS or college kid to drive by your parking spot occasional and let you know if anyone there? or throw a cell cam at parking spot

Edited by BizCT

Years ago, I decided that land was way more important to me than the home itself. So the first thing I did was buy acreage and live on it. I have to live somewhere, so I might as well live where I hunt. So today, the house and property have long-ago been payed off. Dad was right when he told me they aren't making any more of it. The price was ridiculously low by today's standards.

Yes, taxes have gone up over the years, but they have gone up for the city and suburban folks too, and a whole lot faster. And yes, there was always the 45 minute commute each way every day. But it always served as relaxing quiet time. It never seemed to be any problem except on those ridiculous snow storms. I love the peace and quiet out here and the extreme privacy. It always worked for me, and my hunting land is mine to hunt and manage as I please.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

To a point yes. But trust me when I say..You kill a good buck every year and show pic’s you will have eyes watching you. Guaranteed!!!

I would suggest to anyone following another hunter with hopes of killing a buck - to GET A LIFE.  I know it happens but how seriously sad.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I would suggest to anyone following another hunter with hopes of killing a buck - to GET A LIFE.  I know it happens but how seriously sad.

Real sad. I have stalkers. Most would not put forth the effort I do to be successful but there are eyes without a doubt. Let alone being at the local Stewart’s shop and having total strangers tell you about the big bucks they have been watching on your property. Road watchers I’m sure as no cameras have popped. Even on the state land I hunt I park up or down the road from where I go in to my spots. I thing at times it’s best not to be showing any pretty bucks dead or camera. 

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

Real sad. I have stalkers. Most would not put forth the effort I do to be successful but there are eyes without a doubt. Let alone being at the local Stewart’s shop and having total strangers tell you about the big bucks they have been watching on your property. Road watchers I’m sure as no cameras have popped. Even on the state land I hunt I park up or down the road from where I go in to my spots. I thing at times it’s best not to be showing any pretty bucks dead or camera. 

Honestly I would rather kill a dink or nothing than ride off another hunter's efforts and skill.  Either put the time and effort into scouting, glassing, cameras, etc. or live with whatever the good Lord puts before you.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Honestly I would rather kill a dink or nothing than ride off another hunter's efforts and skill.  Either put the time and effort into scouting, glassing, cameras, etc. or live with whatever the good Lord puts before you.  

He’s always taken pretty good care of me, hunting and fishing, as long as I keep Him in that top spot.  Nothing else matters.  2980AFCD-90A0-4DC9-BFE9-EE7AC992C904.thumb.jpeg.bbb12cf0f6c45d679836240f7d54b4ef.jpeg8FAAB22C-1933-47A1-8D0B-6EE9DBE34FFE.thumb.jpeg.ee13f1ceb23a2017c391861e59409456.jpegFBDC292D-3DA1-40B7-9AE7-4430B4BFDF33.thumb.jpeg.1cd4eb4b46c26cd355b9c7faff51cd60.jpeg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, BizCT said:

what about hiring a HS or college kid to drive by your parking spot occasional and let you know if anyone there? or throw a cell cam at parking spot

I have lots of eyes on the property. It's being approached from the neighbors. I just don't know which one yet and of course as others have found, even with picture evidence, the authorities rarely seem to do shit about it. 

• Sad 1