What do you think is the most prevalent game violation during deer season?

First-light

Does anyone know the answer? I don't think anyone mentioned baiting? Lol

I guess the real answer would be NOT what WE think is the most prevalent violation, but what violation gets the most summonses issued by the DEC.  With the few DEC officers out there I somehow don't think violations like baiting, shooting before/after legal time, etc. in most cases ever get summonses, although it's most prevalent.  Most often issued summonses I think would go to the incorrectly filled out tags, since they are probably the easiest for a DEC officer to nail a hunter on.

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1

I guess the real answer would be NOT what WE think is the most prevalent violation, but what violation gets the most summonses issued by the DEC.  With the few DEC officers out there I somehow don't think violations like baiting, shooting before/after legal time, etc. in most cases ever get summonses, although it's most prevalent.  Most often issued summonses I think would go to the incorrectly filled out tags, since they are probably the easiest for a DEC officer to nail a hunter on.

you're probably correct, as a lot of tickets are written when deer are left at the butcher........ECO's make it a point to stop at these places and have the opportunity to check multiple deer at one time.

Wait a minute here....I'm sure that I have read that hunters are required to report thier kills..

HOWEVER, in my 50 years of hunting I have NEVER heard of anybody getting a ticket for NOT reporting thier kills..

Anybody else..??...

I've heard of it, usually goes along with someone who has an illegally tagged deer to begin with....

The most common violation is not reporting your harvest. 40% compliance or so and 242,000 deer killed is 145,200 violations right there.

my guess is second would be tresspassing

I believe I have also heard the 40% figure. With that high a percentage, this has to rank right up there as the frequent violation. Even the shots that I hear before and after legal hunting hours doesn't come up to anywhere near 40%.

Anybody else ever hear of a ticket being written for failure to report ??

The initial question was about "the most prevalent game violation", not the most prevalent ticket issued. But anyway to answer your question, I have never heard of anyone who has gotten a ticket for not reporting a kill. I believe that somewhere in NYS probably there have been a few written. But here is what I do not understand.... If the DEC claims that 40% of the hunters do not report their kill, why aren't we hearing about tickets being issued all over the place?

That 40% number is arrived at by running all over the place checking deer carcasses (Taxidermy shops, camps, deer processors, etc.) and then comparing those to the reports turned in. So that means that they have found a pile of hunters who were breaking that law. So where's the tickets?

i was in court one time for a traffic ticket and there was atleast 10 people in front of me who all were there for failure to report, The fine was pretty big too dont remember the amount, All of the guys had dropped their deer off at a butcher thats how they got caught, it only takes a minute or 2 online why not do it, Ive reported every deer ive ever shot, Im mean really back in the day all you had to do was drop the tag in the mail box and people couldnt do that either, Its a case of just being lazy or your hiding something, But i think the most common summons should be shooting before or after legal hours, 

Wait a minute here....I'm sure that I have read that hunters are required to report thier kills..

HOWEVER, in my 50 years of hunting I have NEVER heard of anybody getting a ticket for NOT reporting thier kills..

Anybody else..??...

I know one guy that got a ticket for not reporting. DEC was tipped off for another reason and the guy had a picture and the story on his open Facebook page. No report of the kill had been made. They couldn't ticket him on the original complaint but did on the not reporting.

i was in court one time for a traffic ticket and there was atleast 10 people in front of me who all were there for failure to report, The fine was pretty big too dont remember the amount, All of the guys had dropped their deer off at a butcher thats how they got caught, it only takes a minute or 2 online why not do it, Ive reported every deer ive ever shot, Im mean really back in the day all you had to do was drop the tag in the mail box and people couldnt do that either, Its a case of just being lazy or your hiding something, But i think the most common summons should be shooting before or after legal hours, 

I have heard guys say they don't like to report becasue they think it will effect the quota in their unit the next year. Imagine that logic. That is how it is supposed to work.

I spoke with DEC over this subject a few years ago and they want it in 7 days. BUT they understand there may be issues in doing that. Things like guys at camp and I have gone over the 7 myself becasue of it. If you are off the grid for 10-12 days hunting it can be hard to hit the 7 day mark. I bet like my other post most of those come by way of another complaint first.

I know one guy that got a ticket for not reporting. DEC was tipped off for another reason and the guy had a picture and the story on his open Facebook page. No report of the kill had been made. They couldn't ticket him on the original complaint but did on the not reporting.

Be careful out there those of you who don't call in, wardens are checking after season.  Guy I know was steelhead fishing.  The warden making small talk asked if he has got his deer.  He replied yes.  Told him he had to run something in his car and came back with a ticket for failing to call it in.

last year I forgot to report my buck so I called up 10 days after I shot it and reported it and it was no problem. I wonder how late you can report your take. Surely, it's better to report it late than never.

i forgot one year. tagged and everything but forgot to call. looked all over for how to do it late because i wanted to report it for their numbers. i ended up not doing it because everything on the DEC website pointed to being fined. I'm like, wtf... it was an accident i want to report it, but now I'm not going to.

I think not reporting kills is tops. Off hour hunting. But trespassing are the ones that are reported the most because most people will investigate and call I'm when someone is trespassing their property. If you hear a gun shot before sun rise, you're probably not going to call DEC about it. Find someone setting up a tree stand on your property? You're not going to ignore that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free