My luck with climbers...

CuseHunter

In the past I have used climber stands that were already set up at the base of trees (API's) and loved them.

With that being said, now that I bought one I hate it. Do you guys find that they are just bulky, and too damn noisy to carry in? Also it takes me like 10 minutes to set up in the dark once I find a tree that will work just right (another process).

On top of that, I made the cable as tight as I could but this darn tree started out wide and 15' up decreased the circumference by Atleast 12" so I felt like I was sliding out of the stand as it leaned down. I just left beyond unsafe and prefer the ground...

So is it me or do you guys prefer the ground or a fixed stand to packing in a climber?

Takes time and practice, especially judging the thickness from bottom to where you are sitting in the tree. While they are bulky, I feel they are worth it to have the ability to adjust within a small range. Pre-scouting is critical to cut down on the prep work on the day of the hunt (clear the base and small limbs, etc.).

Takes time and practice, especially judging the thickness from bottom to where you are sitting in the tree. While they are bulky, I feel they are worth it to have the ability to adjust within a small range. Pre-scouting is critical to cut down on the prep work on the day of the hunt (clear the base and small limbs, etc.).

I figured I should have tried it out before going to the woods with it. It's just hard living in the burbs with no trees around. To just climb up. I think I'm going to have to do some DIY improvements to dampen the sound and get a fanny pack instead of this bulky backpack I have to front load with the climber on my back

I also carry mine upside down so the metal teeth are facing skyward. This allows me to hook my pack back there and I also avoid wrecking my ankles when taking a large step. If you lock the two pieces together properly and use a strap to secure them together I find the noise is not bad-some clanking is inevitable when at the tree base though.

• Like 2

I leave my climber out year round. I've got 4 trees I know of in the area that it works good on and I feel safe climbing with it.

I wont set it up in the dark, and I stick to only those trees of similar dimensions I'm farmiliar with so I don't have to adjust anything if I want to relocate it.

I felt discouraged like you when I bought mine, but have finally found a way to cover a decent amount of area with it silently and safely. Hope you get yours figured out. I prefer my climber over my loc on stands now.

Cusehunter, on 01 Oct 2013 - 11:13 PM, said:

I figured I should have tried it out before going to the woods with it. It's just hard living in the burbs with no trees around. To just climb up.

You didn't practice with it, before going hunting on opening morning?? The more you use it and become familiar with it, the easier it'll get.

You need to buy a good one. You get what you pay for. I went out and bought a summit open shot two years ago. Its 14 pounds, quiet and i can unpack it and climb in about 5 minutes. really important to practice with what you have first or it'll become frustrating.

It'll get much better the more you climb with it.

Try using it for afternoon sets at first, so you can see what you are doing.

Climbing in the dark can be tough if you don't know the very tree you want to be in.

You should have practiced with it before the season started. I read a couple of posts on here where people were giving others crap about wanting to practice with their climbers, and I had to shake my head. To this day, I still get my climber out at least once before the season starts so I can make sure everything is good, and climb up and down a tree or two just to make sure Im still good with it.

Yes, I do find it to be a little bulky and cumbersome, but there are times when its needed. I would prefer to hunt pre-set stands, but the mobility of the climber is great. I can get into places where I dont normally go. As has been said, scout your trees ahead of time, so you arent fumbling around in the dark.

Youll get it down once you gain more experience with it.

Make sure when you set it up on the tree that the base is angled up and adjust the top the same way.  As the tree decreases in diameter it will flatten out.  I have had some trees that narrow quickly and have not been able to get as high as I want to.  Practice is key, but I still find that I spend a great deal of time(5-10min) setting it up and climbing trying to be quiet.  Good luck and remember to wear your harness.

Honestly i hated all the climbers I had and didn't use them much till I bought a summit.I use my summit pretty much 50% of my hunting time and it is the reason that I get most of my deer.If you practice it will become second nature when you are setting up.Also remember,it isnt a race to get set up and 15 foot off the ground.I have had way better times when I get there and even if it close to being light out I take my time and get the stand put on the tree and slowly climb.I would say from the tie I am at the base of the tree to the time I am set up and sitting is around 15 minutes give or take every time.What does it matter if you get in your stand and sit for another 30 minutes and wait for shooting light,or slowly climb and not get all sweated up and clang and bang around

Every stand I own gets hung on a tree in my yard pre season,I get on it kinda bounce a bit.

Check straps,cables and so on.

My climber gets set up and I climb up it as well.

That said my Lone Wolf is an easy pack in and set up.

Speaking of pre season checks I also hang from my harness just a few feet up.

You have to test your equipment. You might be surprised how much your harness rides up when hanging from it,how much it may hurt in your groin area,how it restricts your arm movement and so on.oh and if you don't double the weave on the leg buckles you just might find that when hanging they come undone and you fall out......

• Like 1

Appreciate all the help fellas. I'll go to a park somewhere near and practice climbing. Next year I think I'll invest in a better brand climber like a summit. Nothing is worse than not enjoying a hunt because my climber is not set up right or I couldn't even get it set up. I'm in the woods to enjoy the peace and when I'm feeling like I can fall out at any moment, I would have been better off staying on the ground or in my bed.

I've been using a climber for about 10 years.  I prefer ground blinds and ladder stands but I have one property that I cannot trust a stand left alone for days on end.  What I like to do is go in the night before and set it up.  That way it is waiting for me in the morning.  Once I start to climb, if my platform starts to level off before I reach my desired height, I back down and re-adjust.  Try not to climb over 15' or your platform angle at the start will be too steep to begin climbing.

I find them way too limiting and for me...too dangerous.  I owned two roughly 10 years ago.  The better one was an Ol'Man.    I don't like the fact that they are only good in branchless trees and of a certain diameter.  I also hate lugging them in, trying to remain quiet when setting them up, the length of time it takes to climb and how sweaty I get when climbing.  I also have had the bottom platform drop out on me more than once.  That sent my heart racing into heart attack levels each time!  After the second time, I stopped using them completely and swore them off (as well as swore at them! :) )  They are handy for hunting at places that you visit maybe once or twice, public lands, etc.   I will also say that once I was up in the tree, my Ol'Man was a very comfortable stand.  

When I use my climber I always start off at a steep angle toward the tree. By the time I climb up the platform is still at an angle but not to bad. If the angle is forward, get down and adjust,NEVER hunt from a platform leaning away from the tree. There is NO rush trying to get up, being Safe should be your #1 concern. On days Im feeling lazy I will hunt from the ground. Its so much better not lugging things in. Be safe and enjoy the hunt!! 

Just an update for you guys. I took your advice and hooked it up at a steep angle. Panned out very well for me, finally in love with my climber again. Still not a big fan of back packing them in, I find myself with my hands full walking in with it to reduce any noise. Looks like I need a fanny pack added to my collection.