Hunting mid-day only.

First-light

You go in at first light come out at 9-10am. Go back in around 2pm to dark. Has anyone ever switched it up?? Sleep in until 9am get to your stand at 10 and hunt until 2pm?

I have been seeing more and more deer out at mid-day hours how about you?

I have done mid-day hunts...but only because of late arrival to camp, however, I have seen deer on the move arriving mid-morning or mid-afternoon. Also, don't be afraid of venturing out mid-day during a downpour. It's miserable, but you can surprise unsuspecting deer this way. The drawback( no pun intended) is the bow shot and the problem of losing a deer due to blood trail washout.

We go out what is considered late by most in a couple of places but hunt all day. The one place especially the deer move late and all day. I have killed both doe and buck in the 10-2 time there. We get in around 645-715 which is nice because I live 1.5 hours from there and getting up any earlier than 4am would stink.

I have a funnel spot that I intend to do this at this year.  I started hunting it last year in the mornings and evenenings and found that sometimes I would spook deer in the morning getting in the dark, they would be hanging out ritght in and around the funnel area.  IN fact, trying to hunt it in the morning was probably folley on my part. 

Another time last year, I was coming through that area in the late morning (I think to prepare a tree for climbing stand) and i had a big 8 pt chase does right past me. I think it was some time after 11.

Over the years me and some of the guys I hunt with have seen nice bucks on their feet, particularly in that middle of the day period, Like 1130 til 130pm.  And these are not deer that are being pushed around by other hunters getting up.  These are unpressured deer.

The guys in our camp during rifle, after the first weekend anyway, hunt till 10:00 and go back in at 2:00.  If it were me, I'd put on a drive during that time, but that's just the way they like to hunt.  Rarely do we put on drives.  My son and I will walk and try to kick up something to each other and have had great success.  My first day this year will be Saturday, and I'll hunt all day without coming out.

When it gets closer to the rut ...and I have gotten a good idea of their morning after noon movements...in rut it can be anytime...but I find that like now..... if everyone is moving 7:30 till 10am...and then 4:30 til dark....I'm not going to see much in the mid day here....

Now..... like I said the buck show up around Oct 15th...I'm seeing and getting pics of the young guys a few days early this year...in a few more days the scrapes will multiply and rubs here and there will happen...most in Nov...but the sparring action will be good next week...the bigger guys will start moving in...

I have done mid-day hunts in the past and the results vary . Instead of getting up at 4 am and driving 50 miles I would sleep until at least 7 am , and arrive at my spot around 11 am ant sit out until dark .

Years ago , during gun season , I shot most of my deer between 9:30 - 10:30 am when gun hunters would get antsy and start moving either to get up and pee or go back to their vehicle to get coffee or something to eat . There havn't been as many the past few years .

I will hunt from dark until 11- 11:30 am , take a long break and go back out . I get a terrible back ache from sitting for so long and I need a seat with a back rest for support . Too old to sit the whole day through .