Reminder: Youth Season, Oct. 12 - 14th

Cabin Fever

If I go out with my son bow hunting this weekend its not a problem. If I go to the same spot with him but with gun it upsets people.  Whats the real difference?

Nothing at all.  Some people just like to bitch.  I don't have a dog in this fight, nor do I have a bow license (just picked up a bow and will wait til next year to get a six week head start on gun season).  I'm sitting on 500+ acres that won't be hunted at all until Nov 16.  WTF is the big deal if I take my nephew, or my daughter,  out once they're old enough?  It's not like they're taking deer away from bow hunters, none hunt my land.  It's highly unlikely they'll even scare deer away from the neighbors that hunt, as I don't hunt near the edges of my property on a regular basis.  I'm actually over populated so all my buddies have gotten their DMPs for my area to help me thin the herd, a successful youth hunter would just help matters. 

For the bowhunter's that are worried about having their weekend ruined by youth hunters, I have a suggestion.  Why don't you volunteer your time to be a mentor to a youth hunter? 

I can guarantee to you that if that youth shoots a deer, the smile on that kids face will be your greatest reward for the year.  Even more satisfying than killing a deer yourself.  Who knows you may even get a better appreciation for youth seasons.

I've been hunting for 35 years and bowhunting for 25 of those years.  Even though my hunting time has always been limited. I've always made the best of my time.  Over the years I've had to deal with small game hunters and turkey hunters while bowhunting and I've never felt that they ruined my day or weekend.  You just deal with it!!

I don't care for it...but only due to the number of illegal things that it opens the door to.......there is a constant barrage of gun fire and fire works here every weekend ...the deer don't give hoot about it.....so if the good guys do a good job with some kids great...for the others...May your noses fall off...

• Like 2

I was out bird hunting this am and saw two parties, each with youngsters duck hunting- it was a nice thing to see. I think Doc is on to something regarding "deer camp" experience being just as important as time in the field. My first experience hunting in the field was miserable-I was woefully underprepared and it was blowing cold, with snow dropping on me all morning- and yet I came back mostly due to the time back at "camp" which was just a motel where my buddy and his grandfather and father told stories of previous hunts and the anticipation of the successes to come.

sadly, deer camp is a dying thing around here, between taxes and all that many folks can't afford a piece of land and a camp. For me it is now supplemented with phone calls and occasionally swinging in to a buddy's house and BSing. deer camp is where you make it basically. so a lot of the youth won't have those opportunities regardless of when youth weekend is, so having that weekend to hunt will just increase exposure to what it is all about. bring 'em around when someones got a deer or the guys are hanging out and they will still get a taste of the atmosphere and be able to share their own story.

Edited by BUCKANDAQUARTER

Doc, I was not trying to take away from the "deer camp" experience. That's 100% part of hunting. However, the state could give a darn about a kid enjoying deer camp. It is solely up to the person teaching and bringing the young hunter into the "game" to handle that.

I'm not trying to be an advocate for the state, I'm just stating my thought on this. To touch on a few things mentioned by others on this thread I start with the the season.

I do not feel the deer season should be shortened. Period. Bow or rifle, to take away a single day is 10x too many days.

The youth rifle hunt, I still don't see the big deal...if you had a youth hunter, shoot a buck 100yds from you while you were waiting with your bow I can understand being opposed, but when only 5,000 kids are involved state wide, only on the 2nd weekend of Bow season in a "special season" I can't see how it poses a problem to anyone. Do you not feel safe? I feel more vulnerable to some dick poacher slingin shots from a truck, than a kid who is going to be with a licensed hunter.

It's not like you are not allowed to hunt this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
language
  • Like 1

Grow, what kind of illegal things does the youth weekend open the door to?  A "constant barrage of gunfire" could be attributed to sighting in, or recreational shooting.  Neither of which is illegal.

Lets address the illegal stuff...where I live it's the shooting WAY before and WAY after legal hours...guys hunting off of other ppls tags...and yes the ...who's going to check when I just shoot that buck with a gun in the youth week end..no youth around...I CAN NOT speak to yours or any one else's area...but I DO know what happens here...take this morning the lease next door a single shot at 7:06...season opened at 7:20...knowing the guy who is notorious for illegal crap during and before season has a grandson...

1....He has now started on yet another generation of teaching what not to do

2...If his grand kid wasn't shooting than he'll claim that as an archery take of his own just like the dozens of deer his wife has shot over the years...while sitting at the kitchen table having coffee

Ppl here don't take their deer to processors and he has "buddies "

that taxidermy as a hobby.

Now lets address the "Barrage of gun fire"...Where in that sentence did I ever indicate it to be illegal or any thing actually other than just gun fire?...We have a neighbor that manufacture fire works..legally....camp grounds that have weekend displays and a gun club 2 miles away as the crow flies.

Now to sum this up...Why didn't you want to include this part of my statement...or did you stop reading at what you quoted?

so if the good guys do a good job with some kids great...for the others...May your noses fall off...

Lets address the illegal stuff...where I live it's the shooting WAY before and WAY after legal hours...guys hunting off of other ppls tags...and yes the ...who's going to check when I just shoot that buck with a gun in the youth week end..no youth around...I CAN NOT speak to yours or any one else's area...but I DO know what happens here...take this morning the lease next door a single shot at 7:06...season opened at 7:20...knowing the guy who is notorious for illegal crap during and before season has a grandson...

2...If his grand kid wasn't shooting than he'll claim that as an archery take of his own just like the dozens of deer his wife has shot over the years...while sitting at the kitchen table having coffee

Ppl here don't take their deer to processors and he has "buddies "

that taxidermy as a hobby.

Now lets address the "Barrage of gun fire"...Where in that sentence did I ever indicate it to be illegal or any thing actually other than just gun fire?...We have a neighbor that manufacture fire works..legally....camp grounds that have weekend displays and a gun club 2 miles away as the crow flies.

Now to sum this up...Why didn't you want to include this part of my statement...or did you stop reading at what you quoted?

It's just the way it is.........sorry to say it but you can get away with a lot. Not much you can do about it either............

That's the truth....Just sad to see generation after generation being taught the same ole ...like it's OK.

I"ll tell ya though...any one of my days afield with out getting a thing... is far more satisfying than one of his with an illegal take...for as time passes there won't ever be something hinky  in the back of my mind to taint the memories....God has a funny way of reminding us of past indiscretions...that is if you have conscience to begin with....    

• Like 1

How is this germane to the youth season?  Do you think this man wouldn't be teaching his grandson these things during the regular season? 

• Like 2

One thing I can guarantee...no matter where you go there will ALWAYS be someone who bends or breaks the rules.

For As long as we have been honest in our hunts, others have "cheated" just as long.

I think when you listed "barrage of gun fire" immediately after "lead to illegal stuff" it confused some. No worries.

Sorry about your area filled with morons that disrespect the sport. Some people think it's about filling a tag or putting a head in the old man cave. You know what hunting truly is, so do I, and so do most of the people on this site.

But if I may, with the firework maker next door and campgrounds with all that stuff, don't you think the deer have grown accustomed to it by now? Maybe it does affect them, but I couldn't imagine it running deer out of its core area, especially if it's a routine thing.

Keep in mind the feeling you will get when you fill your tag....that's what you gotta use when others actions cause frustration. Each deer is a trophy, from button buck to giant.

Good luck everyone. Shoot straight

• Like 1

Doc, I was not trying to take away from the "deer camp" experience. That's 100% part of hunting. However, the state could give 2 shits about a kid enjoying deer camp. It is solely up to the person teaching and bringing the young hunter into the "game" to handle that.

I'm not trying to be an advocate for the state, I'm just stating my thought on this. To touch on a few things mentioned by others on this thread I start with the the season.

I do not feel the deer season should be shortened. Period. Bow or rifle, to take away a single day is 10x too many days.

The youth rifle hunt, I still don't see the big deal...if you had a youth hunter, shoot a buck 100yds from you while you were waiting with your bow I can understand being opposed, but when only 5,000 kids are involved state wide, only on the 2nd weekend of Bow season in a "special season" I can't see how it poses a problem to anyone. Do you not feel safe? I feel more vulnerable to some dick poacher slingin shots from a truck, than a kid who is going to be with a licensed hunter.

It's not like you are not allowed to hunt this weekend.

Personally, my opposition was never about an interruption of bow season. I simply think that the wrong problem is being addressed and in the wrong way, and that special seasons mis-represent and short-change the hunting experience for kids for all the reasons that I stated above.

The best way to sum it up is that kids these days are soft. Weak, spoiled. Etc. Kids don't go hunting now a days, like they did before. I agree it mis represents hunting to kids but I think it's to get them interested.

I'm a sicko like the rest of you. I like sitting in a tree for 8 hours freezing my butt off and see nothing. Not many kids these days find that "cool". Which I don't care because I like what I like. But the yuppies try to take over. I'd love to convert some yuppie kid into an outdoorsman/hunter any day of the week.

I love hunting so much that I love sharing the sport,I think everyone should hunt. It cleanses the soul. Lol

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
language
  • Like 1

KEEP THIS THREAD ON TRACK PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, looks like the Youth Hunters really stacked 'em up yesterday?  I put a couple hundred miles on the rig and saw the shocking number of ZERO deer being dragged, gutted, hung or propped up on front lawns for hero shots. 

What'd you see?

Sure it wasnt bird hunters?

Guess I can't be certain, just seemed coincidental that it started the same morning of the youth Hunt and was just the one group of 5 shots. Don't think you are allowed to load 5 for waterfowl... and generally you'll hear duck hunters a few times. If it was a grouse/pheasant hunter unloading at a bird... that's gonna be one f'd up bird.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4

Lawdwaz

I'll try to keep on "track". To answer your question: I saw nothing as far as successful youth hunter deer take. But in fairness I really didn't do any looking. And I've heard nothing local about any deer taken by youth, yet. Again this morning there was an initial at the crack of dawn, ton of shooting, and nothing after about 8:30.

By the way I was curious what would possess you to put "a couple hundred miles on the rig" at almost four dollars a gallon to see other people gut, drag, hang or prop up their deer? Do you work for the government in some capacity, DEC, etc.

Well update from my stand...there was five fast shots just down the hill down the hill from me. Time to go.

I just came back to spell check after whatever was getting shot at did not show up here. Lol.

Edited by New York Hillbilly

My comments...PO were not meant to be argumentative..but...I thought it was clear when I said about the noise.... which some.... other than me complained would hurt their hunting..

.the deer don't give hoot about it....

again I never said it shouldn't happen..I personally don't care for it and did say...

so if the good guys do a good job with some kids great...

As far as Germane to youth season I was simply honestly answering YOUR question..