hearing some single booms

phade

One single boom from our blind this morning. Pretty good story with it too. I was up driving around after work last night just checking out some fields. I saw lights on at the camp up the road so I stopped to see how he had made out so far.

Now this guy has his land posted and he means it, but I have always gotten along with him because I respect his land and right to use it himself. Right off the bat he asks if I have any youth hunters I am taking out in the morning. I tell him I have a young lady who is anxious to try and shoot a deer. He instantly tells me to get her there early for breakfast and shows me where a blind is and how to get to it without emptying the field.

This is a guy I have known for years and not once has he invited me to hunt his land. Well, we showed up at 5:00 and we could smell the bacon as soon as we got out of the car. So after a quick breakfast and a lot of encouraging talk, we head to the stand. At first the understanding was she was only allowed to shoot a doe, but after seeing how excited she was, he said she could shoot a buck.

At first she was excited about getting a buck, but before it was even light enough to shoot, she told me that Jim was nice enough to let us hunt his land and she just didn't feel right about shooting a buck the first time there. I thought to myself that my buddy and his wife may not hunt, but they sure know how to raise a kid.

So it finally gets to shooting time and the field is empty. It is 34 degrees out so I tell her to just wait until the sun starts to hit the far corner of the lot where the apple trees are. A half hour later the sun finally reaches the apples and it wasn't ten minutes before we saw movement. Two young bucks go right to eating apples off the ground. I could tell she wanted to shoot, but she stuck to her guns and waited some more. A little while later I saw movement about half way down the field and two does stepped out looking towards the apple trees.

They are only about 70 yards away, so it is a slam dunk shot as long as she stays calm. She slowly sets the .270 on the sticks, takes a couple deep breaths, and pulls the trigger. One doe runs, the other drops in its tracks. She takes the gun, empties the magazine, and stands it in the corner. She tells me that it was the most exciting hour she has had in her life, and then starts shaking and grinning from ear to ear.

We hear the four wheeler start up and pretty quick, here comes Jim. We go out and load it up after getting a few pictures, and head back to camp. We walk her through the field dressing, and she gets through it better than some, and haul the gut pile to a pit already dug by Jim for just such things.

He asked her why she didn't shoot one of the bucks and she tell him that it was his land and he put the time and money into it, so she wasn't going to take advantage of him. I could tell that this statement took him by surprise coming from a young girl especially. He promptly told her she was welcome to come hunt his land any time she wanted. So, it looks like maybe we have another hunter on our hands. I honestly didn't know what to expect out of her, but man, she passed any sort of test I could have thrown at her. Very enjoyable morning and backstraps coming for lunch.

Edited by coonhunter
  • Like 16

Great story but I would edit it just a bit. On page 39 of the regulation book it clearly states the youth must be on the ground and can not hunt from a stand.  Great job though

oops my bad I though ti said stand not blind.

Heard half dozen rapid shots just as getting light enough to see. Startled the heck out if me. I thought goose hunters or turkeys but was quite the fire storm. Now this post reminded me this other possibility. If that was someone being mentored, they need a new teacher.

yea and call for new mentors i mean teachers

guess some people are just too eager to correct someone.

Was an honest mistake with good intentions in mind. An apology was made, but I guess some people are too eager to take a stab after the fact.

I for one appreciate the info regarding youth stands and blinds. Learned something today.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 2

I have been fortunate two years in a row to take out a young lady for their first deer. Last year the girl's dad had to work, but this year he took time off this weekend so he could take her, and she shot a nice doe with him. So, we ended up with two deer hanging to take care of yesterday.

This year was extra nice because she came from a non-hunting family, but still caught the hunting bug from my friend's daughter. When I say non-hunting, I don't mean against hunting. They just don't hunt, but encouraged their daughter to take her course and get out there.

I personally enjoy taking the kids out. It lets them relax and forget about being cool at school, or in the girls' case, keeping up with the "in" group at school. You can tell them a thousand times that in a few years none of this school drama will matter, but it does no good. Seems the teenage girls always have the drama. Out in the woods, all that nonsense goes away, and they can become part of an adult group and they thrive.

I had both girls in a blind this morning when I was back bowhunting. They had their cell phones taking pictures and sending them to their friends and family. They were laughing and tee heeing away. We saw deer, squirrels, two raccoons, and a fisher. I will say that it pays to have your blind up early because the deer knew it was there and something was different.

I see the youth hunt as a good thing, and that it is at a perfect time when the deer are still on feeding patterns. Bow season is a long season, and it doesn't bother me one bit to sacrifice a couple days. Being a kid now a days is a lot tougher and way more complicated than when we grew up. Sure, they get a lot of things handed to them that we had to work for, but they have a lot more to worry about also. If I can get a few of them to enjoy hunting, or just being out in the woods, then I feel I am doing my part to pass on the tradition of hunting. To this day, when I am in the woods, it is the only time I am truly relaxed.

• Like 3

I ve found that over the 30 years that I ve hunted with the gun and bow nothing was more rewarding than watching others new to the sport fall in love with what hunters like us experience.i ve always believed that the more people involved in hunting only makes it better.and it truly disappoints me when I read or hear hunters preaching about how their way is the right way.....how ever they try to justify their reasoning it always comes out totally self serving.and it goes against how hunting was passed along to us and how we need to pass it on to the next crew coming to camp.kids hunting,crossbows,sat openers,...all ways to help get more people hunting.all good things,and shame on the jerks who say otherwise.

• Like 2

I wish I started hunting at an earlier age. I would have loved having a mentor. Just never had a hunting family or anything to get me started. My first season was when I was 18 (20 now) and I fell in love with it since that opening day. Glad to see people out there who like to help teach the sport and pass on their knowledge. I know personally it was so hard starting out because I had no one, I was in the field googling how to field dress a deer. You guys should understand how valuable you are to the youth. Great job!

• Like 2