Dogs running deer!

bigpaul

Man that brings back bad memories..it was a chocolate and yellow that I encountered...had killed the doe and when I walked up the yellow.... bloody and foaming at the mouth.... charged me...I shot from the hip..he veered off but the slug ricocheted and hit the chocolate in the butt...I never even saw him until I  heard the yelp...cops found the owner picking lead out of dogs butt..he hid the yellow...nothing happened to him...cop wouldn't do the paper work....2 years later...owner told me yellow had died....heart attack...CHASING DEER!!!...really actually told me...I have a word for ppl like the..well two words......

(sp)

Edited by growalot

Private property we hunted years ago the owners had 2 big mixed breed dogs, they would drag hind quarters and othe deer parts back to the house to munch on them.I have seen them both out run deer and go right for the neck of the deer.The owners just let them do it. I guess the figured that was that much less they had to feed the dogs.As a guest what could I do, they most likley woud have said you don't like it leave.

Another time on my property I was posted on opening day of rifel season and a begal and a german shorthaired terrier were chasing a 4 pointer threw my property ( DEC states that you cannot shoot the dogs ) I stayed at that spot nobody was following the dogs and they came back about 10 minutes huffing and puffing.I guess the deer got away. Now none of the locals near me have that type of dogs.

I have my dogs 1 a begal and 2 a mountian kur/ lab mix @ 105 pounds not to chase animals unless I tell them to.And most of the time they are on a 25' lead.

The DEC told me I was lucky I was hunting and had my gun...that the dogs were in what they call a feeding frenzy.. that when I appeared he saw me and charged he would have gone for my throat...it happened so fast I didn't have time to raise my gun just hit the thumb safty and fire from my side....The cop saw the scene and said they had been at that doe for a long time...actually she wasn't dead..I thought she was when I walked past her..tail up by her head and butt chewed off...I gabbed her hind leg and she jumped up hitting me and ...something I will never forget..screamed like a woman being killed...it freaked me out bad...I jammed the gun trying to get a slug in her head because U hadn't discharged the spent shell from first shot...finally did...just a God awful experience...they should have hung the owner up by his nards!!!

Seriously? You were going to shoot someone's dog?

Back in the old days dogs running deer were shot on the spot. I never did but know guys that did.  Now days you can go to jail for it.  A guy here  (WNY) just shot a german sheperd that came at him & is up on charges now.  Stupid imo.

Labs killing deer? Must be rabbid that doesn't seem right?

Any deer as big or bigger than a beagle will chase deer if unattended. It is just in their nature. They are not doing it from hunger either. Yes, labs have that same chasing and killing urge as any dog. Our years of sheep farming taught us that......no rabies required...lol.

Isn't it funny that we have no problems shooting wild canines like coyotes and foxes, but when it comes to a domestic dog doing exactly the same kinds of behavior and with much less need, we get all wimpy and worried about the dog's welfare. Frankly, if some of these owners would just show half as much compassion about their animals in terms of keeping them under control, there wouldn't be anyone considering shooting them.

You all want to worry about the welfare of something, just consider the fate of the deer that these dogs are chasing. It has to be quite a horrible death to run the gauntlet over considerable distance, having chunks of meat pulled out of your hindquarters until you finally fall down from exhaustion and have the job of being eaten alive completed.  I saw it once, and it was a pitiful and completely unnecessary sight. We worry about the results of an errant bullet or arrow that wounds and eventually kills a deer and yet, completely down-play this prolonged torture inflicted by dogs allowed to run wild. 

• Like 7

I was hunting a piece of property upstate I was staying at a few years ago. A lot of deer and a lot of bucks. First morning in the stand I catch movement 5 yds to my right. It was the landowners HUGE Black Lab, thought it was a small bear. It walked right into my ground blind and put his paw on me....he stayed the entire morning just sitting watching with me. Saw a few does and he just sat up and watched. Pretty funny morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My lab and retriever will chase jumped deer while scouting in the off season. Once they caught a 3 legged buck. They were surprised and had no idea what to do when they caught it haha.

Doc, I think there's a difference between wild deer and yote and domestic pet. I don't appreciate what some pets can do, but they are also animals. My golden is well trained and won't leave the yard to chase anything, but If for some reason he did get loose I sure hope some ass wouldn't him.

I'm sure my one neighbor is thankful I didn't shoot his pit last weekend at 8am while it took a dump in my scrape. Or my other neighbors for not shooting either of their cats. It's just deer hunting, we can get angry, but there's a line.

I was hunting a piece of property upstate I was staying at a few years ago. A lot of deer and a lot of bucks. First morning in the stand I catch movement 5 yds to my right. It was the landowners HUGE Black Lab, thought it was a small bear. It walked right into my ground blind and put his paw on me....he stayed the entire morning just sitting watching with me. Saw a few does and he just sat up and watched. Pretty funny morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are lucky to have survived his attack!!!

• Like 2

I have called the DEC on neighbors dogs..they got warnings...took neighbors to court ..nothing happened...called neighbors repeatedly about their dogs running our property

This was the end result on the last time...two adult females with 5 babies ripped from their bellies while birthing and one dead buck....that and the other not in the pic ...neighbors pets....

I have called the DEC on neighbors dogs..they got warnings...took neighbors to court ..nothing happened...called neighbors repeatedly about their dogs running our property

This was the end result on the last time...two adult females with 5 babies ripped from their bellies while birthing and one dead buck....that and the other not in the pic ...neighbors pets....

Look at the ribs on that dog. No wonder. DEC should have done something about those neighbors.