Wish my Wife was a hunter

Taylormike

Hey, I know some guys will probably disagree with me...  But when I go to camp I would love nogthing more then my wife to come along, to be enthused, and to be a hunter herself.  This unfortunately cannot be further from the truth.

She didn't grow up with it and I think it must be so foreign, she just can't understand it.

Every time I read huntresses stories and enthusiasm it just puts a smile on my face.

I think many of us guys and the sport would benefit immensely with the addition of more and more women joining the this tremendous past time.

Its awesome to see!!!

• Like 2

My gf went and got her hunter safety card shortly before spring turkey season. As a result of that i believe my father and i have made a decision to put up some two man stands and ground blinds next year. I am actually super excited as she wants to take her bow course next year! Cant wait to get her out there and be with her when she harvests her first deer. As it stands now she wants to try some small game, so i told her after deer season we can do some rabbit or squirrel hunting soon. My gf honestly is probably more of a hunter than most guys i know.

• Like 2

TeeBugg,

That's awesome!  Once she gets the taste for archery she'll be hooked for good.  I don't enjoy gun season hardly at all.  Nothing about the sport really draws me in.  I guess any deer hunting and time in a tree beats no hunting so that's why I go...  But all in all, that's great!!! 

I've had my girlfriend in the woods with me for muzzleloading and bow. Bought her a set of camo and I created a monster. It's the best thing I may have done. I get calls telling me about sales at cabelas and bass pro shops. This girl lived in an apt in queens her whole life. Now she likes going with me and sitting in the woods even likes shooting and wants to bowhunt.....if she eventually shoots a bigger deer than me do I break up with her?...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought this sounded like a good idea untill I tried it a few times.

I've never been so distracted and annoyed in my life. The outdoors in general is something I enjoy most solo.

I don't put myself out there to entertain, impress, or enlighten anybody. I don't like to go home because someone else is cold, bored, hungry, or scared. I don't want to be aggrevated when I'm having fun even if she's not. I don't want to talk about your mother, or family, or the new shoes you want to buy.

I want to relax and enjoy everything around me uninterupted by anyone else.

That's just me though.

• Like 7

I've never been so distracted and annoyed in my life. The outdoors in general is something I enjoy most solo.

I don't put myself out there to entertain, impress, or enlighten anybody. I don't like to go home because someone else is cold, bored, hungry, or scared. I don't want to be aggrevated when I'm having fun even if she's not. I don't want to talk about your mother, or family, or the new shoes you want to buy.

That's just me though.

Well said. I think if my husband was with me all the time I am sure we would have an argument about something stupid. Haha

I've probably told this before but my story is the opposite of most hunting couples. Usually the fellow will be the one to get the wife into hunting.

Well, I grew up hunting with my dad, it's a close bonding time for us (which is why I still go with him so often). When I met my husband, he was the one that was a city kid that grew up in an anti-hunting family. He saw how much I loved hunting and came with us a few times to see what it was about. He was bored and uncomfortable a lot but once I got him to really start looking around and enjoying the other parts of hunting-- he got into it. Now he is just as excited about non-game species as he is a deer or turkey. He used to be really squeamish about cleaning/gutting etc, but this week he helped hold deer legs out of the way when I was gutting my doe. I'm really proud of him and he's really come a long way, and has gone into this with an open mind. He took his first turkey this spring and was very excited.

I know a lot of folk like to hunt alone, and sometimes I do too. But I equally love sharing an excited glance with someone I care about when we see something cool-- a deer or a bird or whatever. It's been great to develop a silent communication and understanding when hunting with someone else.

I've never been so distracted and annoyed in my life. The outdoors in general is something I enjoy most solo.

I don't put myself out there to entertain, impress, or enlighten anybody. I don't like to go home because someone else is cold, bored, hungry, or scared. I don't want to be aggrevated when I'm having fun even if she's not. I don't want to talk about your mother, or family, or the new shoes you want to buy.

That's just me though.

Good point! I guess it came down to getting annoyed I would just say I'm going to "use the bathroom" and sit somewhere else. lol

LMAO!!!  Everyone has great points.  I have the pleasure of hunting with my Older Brother and Dad, nothing can replace the time we spend together.

I'm just saying, when my Brother is working OT and my Dad is busy in his shop it would be great to get the wife to come on down and make the camp nice and cozy....CATSKILL HUNTER - lucky man.

Obviously I would have to leave the children (2) 5 and 1 with Grandma.... AND....... I could get some fancy wine and maybe I could even get lucky for the 3rd time in 6 years - LOL!!!

Edited by Taylormike

I was the youngest of 7 kids with 5 of my siblings being boys. Not one of them hunted

and neither did my dad. I didn't start hunting until I was 23 years old. I shot a

couple deer with a gun and I liked it but when I started archery hunting and shot my

first deer with a bow I was absolutely hooked! I have since taken over 30 whitetail

with the bow among many other things. I got so obsessed with hunting that it

was all I could think about during the season. Needless to say my obsession with

hunting really annoyed my boyfriend. He didn't share the love of hunting that I had so

he gave me a lot of grief about going hunting so much. I couldn't take his crap any

longer so I broke up with him even after investing over 8 years of my life with him

because hunting meant more to me than he meant to me.

Now I'm married to a guy who loves hunting as much as I do. He doesn't give me crap

when I'm gone everyday during the season and I don't give him crap either when he wants to go. We have a great mutual understanding.

• Like 2

My wife hunts, never had a bad outing with her. If she was the type to talk about shoe's and shopping and complain I wouldn't have married her. We hunt every thing together though she doesn't go as much as I do because of her work schedule.

In fact I bet I get to hunt more because she goes and gets it, she sends me out and plans trips. Can't beat that!

When I grew up I had an aunt and my mom who hunted. They were always at camp with everyone else.  It just seemed natural. So when I was married, My then wife decided to join in.  She took the hunter ed class winked at the instructor and got her certificate and license. The first year she shoot a lot and got very good at it.  She hunted twice and froze and that was the end of that.  She kept going to camp and would cook etc.  No one asked her to nor expected her to, but when we all came in it was nice ti have a hot dinner already.  Anyway as a couple years went by, she got tired of being in her words the "camp B%$#h.  She actually got upset about it and now we are divorced.  So be careful what you wish for.  

I don't think there's a right or wrong here. It depends on the wife/husband.

My first wife? I'd love to have taken her hunting and....nevermind I won't go there.

My current wife, she's a sweetheart. Her father hunts and she is familiar with the demands that come with it. She can shoot a bow very well. But, I don't ever see her wanting to hunt.

• Like 1

Its not even necessarily wanting my spouse with me.  I guess, I just wish she understood it more.  I wish she understood the passion I have for the sport and the absolute precious time I spend with my Brother and Dad.   It's a shame more young people aren't into the sport.  They're missing out on tremendous memories...

I think I understand what you mean Taylormike. I feel very fortunate to share many of the same deep interests/passions as my husband and it's pretty cool to have someone get excited over something (hunting, birding, art, farming, whatever your passion is) with you. The knowing that someone else you care about 'gets it' is a cool feeling. We still have different hobbies and as such aren't always in each other's business,  but the shared interests are rewarding.

Sorry if this isn't what you meant! Sometimes I grasp at straws, haha.

• Like 2

Its not even necessarily wanting my spouse with me.  I guess, I just wish she understood it more.  I wish she understood the passion I have for the sport and the absolute precious time I spend with my Brother and Dad.   It's a shame more young people aren't into the sport.  They're missing out on tremendous memories...

Like I said before, I married an anti hunter, the kind that had thoughts of running over guys in camo on the side of the road lol. We argued from Oct 1st to January the first 4 years of marriage. It was tough but she came around and saw how important it was to me. She loves coming up to camp with me now, and we have an agreement, I am not allowed to discuss details of the kill  B)