What do you want for xmas ?

Water Rat

Grow ... good advice . That sucker is heavy and shows a two man lift for safety on the carton . 

A chain or cable would be okay but the lock could be cut . If someone wanted it bad enough , they could dig to the Quick Crete and break it up with a sledge hammer . I guess it wouldn't hurt to hide a Trail cam near it . 

• Like 1

Too late! Wife already bought my present. However it just occurred to me the other day when I was up on the hill tap-dancing around trying to get a foot-hold in the snow, that my boots are just plain wore out. The tread is shot. They were some great felt lined snowmobile boots that have always kept my feet warm, but were also pretty short on aggressive tread. These things are over 20 years old, and what little tread that they had ain't there anymore. So I guess I am going to have to foot the bill myself. I like that felt liner. That and 1 pair of wool socks and I'm good for all day (at least as far as feet go).

To be honest, I really haven't see that kind of boot in any of the stores since I bought those. They come up to just below my knees, They have rubber bottoms up to just above the ankles and then some kind of a water-resistant canvas top. Inside is a full length felt liner that has never broken down like other felt liners I have had in the past. They lace up at the bottom, and have a draw-string tie at the top. Weirdest looking things that I've ever seen. I got them at Central Tractor (Tractor Supply). And they had tags on them indicating they were designed as a "snowmobile boot". The only problem is that they were a bit skimpy on the aggressiveness of the tread, and they have worn down so far that they're getting a bit treacherous for these steep snow-covered hills. My concern is that I will never be able to find replacements that will be as good. But I'm afraid that I'm going to have to try, or risk breaking my neck now that the old ones have turned into "skis".

Hey Doc ..... My SIL uses these and so do a couple friends and they say they are great . I think DICKs , Tractor Supply and other stores carry them . Here is a link showing various of Snow / Ice Grippers that you wear over boots or shoes .

Note :

Don't wear them on hardwood floors !

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=crmas&va=snow+grippers+for+shoes

Yeah, I guess I'll be doing some Christmas shopping for myself too this year. I'll head out town one of these days and see what Tractor supply has got on their shelves. I know exactly what I'm looking for (but I'll be looking close at the tread. That's one step ahead already. I should look into those snow/ice grippers. They just might save me from winding up in a snow drift, head down with feet sticking out....lol.

I asked my wife for some nice wool socks in my stocking (ironic huh?) based off of some of these posts regarding cold feet. She was hunting (for my socks today) and every pair she found in LL Bean, gander, dicks, etc stated tha they were only at most 10% wool(I think those were Merinos)...so, I need wool sock recommendations