woolys 2014 shed journal

wooly

Hey Wooly, yesterday while rabbit hunting I saw a half racked 6 or 8 point...I headed through the area he came from pretty good but didn't find the dropped side......Question for you.

Once they drop one side, about how long until they drop the other side?

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!

Jala- it's really impossible to know how long he'll hang on to that other antler. He could have dropped it close by the same day, or he could carry it for weeks and miles. I once found a match set from a buck that had 2 miles between them. You just never know where the're gonna pop up.

1-14-14

I finally broke the seal today....YAHOOO!
I'll tell ya what..., I was really starting to get discouraged with all my hiking lately and nothing to show for it yet. Todays antler didn't come easy though.

I set out early this morning and hiked right through lunch without seeing anything that even remotely looked like an antler. Still quite a bit of snow in some good spots, so I tried to focus on the clear areas. Right at the end of my hike I stopped by an old dump pile to look for some old bottles and other goodies. Somebody had cleaned up the pile and all they left behind was a  RM 125 dirtbike seat. As I stood by the seat looking around for some glass and other junk, I spotted my first antler of the 2014 season! A nice 4pt freshie from a nice looking 1 1/2 year old!

DSCN0213_zps246f9197.jpg

DSCN0215_zpsa49ec4d3.jpg

You can see the seat I was standing next to in the background of this ATL. That's where I spotted this guy from!

DSCN0210_zps4fffd4fa.jpg

I did a quick search for the mate, but I was running out of daylight fast, so I decided to come back another day to try to match it up.
Still a splash of blood on the base of this one...

DSCN0223_zps8c3d0ae3.jpg

On my way home this weekend I spotted a dead deer laying on my neighbors front lawn. On my way home today I stopped to snap a pic and noticed there were 2 dead fawns that had melted out. Must have got splatted a few weeks ago.

DSCN0228_zps5f360d58.jpg

Antlers- 1
Sets- 0

Dead bucks- 3

Dead doe/fawns- 5

• Like 1

Congrats on the icebreaker! I was out today myself and walked about 4 miles in 4 hours. I find a huge shed from last year that was all chewed up. Very disheartening. By far the biggest shed ive ever found. Hard to score but i would say its from a 200" class deer. Saw 4 mature bucks and 3 juveniles. Its still kind of early.

Edited by antler insanity
  • Like 1

Nice wooly...I came across a nice group of does in a small patch I walk. Followed them for a bit and the led me to a nice looking 8 still packing. I am fairly certain i have one of his horns from last year-he is my new obsession!

Edited by crappyice
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone! Hopefully I don't have to work so hard for the rest of them! :D

Crappy- I enjoy hearing about what everyone else is seeing and finding out there. It motivates me more when things are slow or I fall into a slump. I just like any chatter about shed antlers!

Looks like I have another one to look for across the road from home! Still lots of snow over there and we got some more last night, so I didn't waste to much time looking for this one, but I think I got an idea where to start looking!

(date's wrong on cam- should read 1/14/14)

PICT0015_zps5838c6f6.jpg

Edited by wooly
  • Like 1

hey wooly - I hope you don't mind other people hijacking your journal with our finds/findings- as the "resident expert" it seems people think of your thread when anything shed related comes up!

You know, on second thought I really never had any intentions of this post becoming a community shed thread.

I think there's a fine line between "highjacking" a thread and "kamakazee-ing" a good thread.., so if I could request that anyone not farmiliar with this thread please post their pics and trophy banter in a seperate topic, that would be much appreciated. I really don't feel like competing within my own post.

I know most of you know by now I'm pretty open to discussion and questions as you've seen over the past 3 years of posting this journal, so feel free to fire away, and share your observations and experiences with me here.

I'm pretty sure you can see by now where I'm going with this, and will start your own journals to post your own pics in.

Thanx.

• Like 2

1-19-14

I ran around to check the cams today and was a little discouraged to see I had at least 5 bucks still packing both antlers where I'd been looking. I decided to hike on anyhow the next block over but I didn't find anything and sign was spotty at best. The snow really sucks here, but at least any antlers that were on the ground were hidden well from anyone else that might be looking for them.

Right at the end of the day, I felt pretty good knowing my antlers were still with their rightfull owners for now.
With light running out, I made my way home. Just as I crossed the creek and hopped up on the opposite bank, I looked down and spotted an antler laying at my feet!

I knew IMMEDIATELY this was the antler from "Tubby-10"... my goal buck heading into shed season who's trail cam pic is back on page one of this journal.

original.jpg

I snapped a few ATL's and then I noticed the bootprints right beside his antler. My neighbor has also been looking for this guys sheds, so I left more bootprints in the bottom before I left, he's gonna think an army of antler hunters had been through there,lol! I'll try to match him up tomorrow but I'm so happy right now its sick!

DSCN0253_zpsbb73b291.jpg

DSCN0248_zps502c5357.jpg

You can see my neighbors old boot trcks in this pic not 2 ft away,lol

DSCN0245_zps7112f3c1.jpg

atl
RSCN0274_zps9a8b6b07.jpg

DSCN0265_zpsc3283eb6.jpg

DSCN0266_zps40ca8315.jpg

Antlers- 2

Sets- 0

Dead bucks- 3

Dead doe/fawns- 5