woolys 2014 shed journal

wooly

Well, it's that time of year again......WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!

Time to kick off the 2014 quest for cast antlers again!

I'm running an antler or two behind schedule already since the snow started falling a few weeks ago I wasn't able to get off to an early start..... we are burried under a white 3ft blanket right now, but that will just slow me down and I wont let it stop me! Hopefully this weather will concentrate the bucks and hold them to some prime areas and I'll be tripping over sheds every hike once we melt out a bit!
 Season officialy opens tomorrow,lol

I did find a few yearling deadheads already durring season. Kinda sucks they were both found on my hunting grounds but that's just the way it goes sometimes. These guys were still to fresh and stinky to keep the whole skull so I just chopped off the antlers at the bases and will find something to use them for down the road.

First little 3pt I found in a goldenrod field 11/10/13..

_DSC0115_zps249b134a.jpg

_DSC0101_zps47838ec9.jpg

..... then on 12/5/13 I found another yearling that was a regular at the cams all fall. Found him on the edge of another goldenrod field.

PRMS0050_zps219217e8.jpg

_DSC0245_zps13154748.jpg

The good news is, I'm 99% sure the buck I was hoping to see make it through season has made it! Bucks don't tend to winter where he's at right now, so with a little luck he'll shed early, or maybe he'll be "snowed in" long enough to drop 'em for me near bye.

PICT0035_zpsc2d3d96a.jpg

I can't wait to get started, and maybe even add a few new antlers to the bone pile again this year!

Good luck to all the shed hunters this year!

large.jpg

Antlers- 0

Sets- 0

Dead bucks- 2

Dead doe/fawns- 0

Edited by wooly

Thanks guys, glad you all enjoy the journal!

I'm hoping to stumble upon a few early drops soon, but in the mean time, the snow here is just too darn deep for any real "antler hunting"..... it's still WAY early but I know there's a few out there waiting to be rescued and probably even a few I missed last year.

We got a good bit of rain today and more on the way this weekend to melt some of this white crap away. Now that I got my legs stretched out the last few days, I'll start to cover some more ground looking for some more deadheads in some of the usual thickets they seem to turn up routinely year after year.

I don't like finding all the dead ones after season, but in a weird sort of way I feel recovering someones unrecovered buck is the best way for me to salvage some of that excitement they missed out on, and give those trophies the final resting place they deserve and will be admired and appreciated.

Hoping to have something to show after the weekend, but it's a loooooooong season full of unknown ups and downs. I'm just happy shed season is finally here!

• Like 2

Wooly ,

Continued success in your shed hunting this year.

Just curious......do you ever make anything from the sheds you find ?

Not really Water Rat.

I'm not the craftiest guy to ever carry an antler out of the woods. I have traded a few cut offs for different things. I've also sold a few too many over the years, but for the most part, I just like to stack them up.

Now that I think of it, I lied..... I did use two fresh sheds as a base for a deadhead buck I found a few years back and I made a toilet paper holder out of another!

017-1.jpg

I did a 4 hour hike today in the rain. Still a lot of snow here, but I got into an area that looks like it's seeing some heavy traffic right now.

I slapped two cams up and will try to post any buck pics I get in here. Saw a great big flock of turkey as well, but I had my camera stuffed in my pack to keep it dry.

Antler #1 is still out there and he's elluded me yet another day....... but I'm getting closer, I can feel it!

12-23-13

Did a little hiking today hoping to find my first antler before Christmas. Unfortunately all I found was dead buck #3 for the season.

I hate starting out like this with all the deadheads building such a fast lead over the antlers. Hoping to narrow the gap next hike!

CSC_0462_zpsde126425.jpg

CSC_0455_zps49ab8988.jpg

Antlers- 0

Sets- 0

Dead bucks- 3

Dead doe/fawns- 0

And that boys and girls is why you shouldn't drink out of streams... any ideas on cause of death for these bucks?

Pretty sure they didn't die of old age,lol

First two I believe were archery season casualties, and this one likely from sometime around the end of gun season.