woolys 2014 shed journal

wooly

Thanks everyone! I'm still super stoked over this find, but I hate getting hung up on one antler that isn't ready to be found!

HOW do you walk on by THAT - I hate to think I could!!

I don't...lol. You should fire up a journal here Sean!

Few possibilities I suppose... all of which are no excuse.., hehe!

Maybe as a rookie he was looking for the whole antler and couldn't identify this??

It's kinda pretty in the creekbottom now, so maybe he was admiring the birds and scenery!

Worse case scenario, maybe he picked up the mate and ran home with it before he could spot this one...uhhhg!

I covered the entire creekbottom today in that area and turned up nadda. That means I'm getting closer and will switch to "plan-B" now, which is to look everywhere else I didn't cover with "plan-A".

• Like 1

Nice find!!! im still looking with no luck. havent seen a buck since the last week of gun season. All ive found is a dead head 6 point with a 14 in spread from back in 2012. I know because i had him on cam making scrapes behind my house then. Must have walked by his head a dozen times since then. Just happened to take a left instead of a right this time and there it was. No wonder I cant find any sheds if I miss a whole head for yr. :biggrin:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

3-17-14

Hey guys, remember me!

It's been a really bad winter for antlers here. Every time I think we're gonna get a break, we get buried again. Today I finally got out to do some hiking despite still having too much snow to be too serious about finding anything. I hit a stand of pines along a corn field edge just because it was sunny out.... I at least needed to try.

Not far into the pines I spotted tines, and it looked like it was gonna be a good one from what I could see of it!

DSCN0460_zps56ca91bc.jpg

DSCN0458_zps1c7cf453.jpg

This thing was a pig, with some wicked long main beams! I don't find antlers like this every day!

DSCN0467_zpsed1d854c.jpg

DSCN0470_zpse6b53e6e.jpg

I was freakin' pumped, but a little pissed the antler rats had got to it so quick even though it was still covered up pretty good.

I shot up and down the trails looking for the mate but couldn't find it on any of those paths. I circled around and did a run along the edge of the corn, but didn't find anything besides a friendly fox that posed for a few pics.

I admired my sweet find for the day and decided to start heading out. Along the way I cut over to another hemlock island when I saw something odd. It didn't look like an antler.... more like a leg bone, but I went over to check it out any ways.

Son of a gun! It was an antler and turns out to be the mate to my 1'st antler of the day!

DSCN0475_zps6546db29.jpg

DSCN0481_zpsf4c9c044.jpg

Those friggin antler rats chewed the base completely off this one already. Man, was I pissed when I saw this. I couldn't believe all the squirrels I was seeing in here.

DSCN0476_zps64146dc2.jpg

Few shots of #3 + #4 together!

Calling for 40's for the rest of the week, so maybe that will help knock a little bit more of this snow back.

DSCN0506_zps5186bc43.jpg

DSCN0490_zpsc8364394.jpg

DSCN0498_zps6069d5d4.jpg

Adding another dead buck and 3 more dead antlerless to the totals as well.

Antlers- 4

Sets- 1

Dead bucks- 4

Dead doe/fawns- 8

• Like 7

I thought you were hibernating like the rest of us Wooly! Glad to see you wiped the sleep out of your eyes enough to spot those beauties! Those danged squirrels are the devil! I literally have had nightmares about finding antlers like that.

• Like 1

I think zag has a pretty good chance of beating me this year himself!

I'm not panicking YET... but I am starting to get a little nervous!

We'll see if anything turns up today in another favorite spot of mine.

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

sweet deal man better than the little tiny 3 point set I found yesterday. they were both laying together on either side of the trail i was walking down. looked like the deer put his head down and they both fell off at the same time. but im still stoked to find a set after getting skunked last yr.

• Like 1

Congrats on the set erussell! Always nice when you find them two at a pop, side by side!

Makes moving on to the next area a little easier. Sometimes I get too hung up trying to match up a single and have to remind myself there's other antlers out there waiting for me,lol.

No luck out there today. I really thought we would have lost more snow than we did with this little warm up, but there's still enough to hide the average antler I'm used to finding.

Since I couldn't find any antlers on the ground, I looked up for a change of scenery, and spotted this mummy skull hanging in a tree!

Looks like Sam has moved into my area..

DSCN0513_zps218152d6.jpg

DSCN0514_zps82a85f71.jpg

Ha! No, I would have carried that one out or cut the antlers off! (I started carrying a hacksaw this year for the little ones.) Plus, I go out of my way to thread live branches through an eye socket so they will eventually grow into the tree. Maybe that one was left by a poacher?