Anyone have a problem with this post.

First-light

Simply the fact I "share the same woods" with some of these fools is enough to make me want to dissassociate myself from hunting some days.

You and me, Wooly.  Then hunters wonder why no one wants to let us hunt on their land anymore and why hunters get a bad rap in general.  They ought to look at themselves in the mirror once in a while for the answer.

• Like 2

I saw this photo and caption yesterday... I have to agree that is portrays hunters in a poor way, especially being that it was posted over facebook for millions to see.  This is one reason why people don't allow us into their backyards to hunt, especially on Long Island where hunting is not as widely accepted as it is upstate.

• Like 1

So you actually think that a pic of a hunter with a deer he (or she) killed, with no blood showing, is going to make and ANTI-hunter feel or think any less ANTI-hunter?

Serious question.

Not addressed to me but here is my answer..

Its not the Anti's we should be concerned with, its the one's that are indifferent that something like this could get to and cause damage. Anti's will not be swayed reguardless, though this type of thing will fuel them.

• Like 4

So you actually think that a pic of a hunter with a deer he (or she) killed, with no blood showing, is going to make and ANTI-hunter feel or think any less ANTI-hunter?

Serious question.

Serious answer:   I misunderstood your point apparently.  The short answer to that question is: no.  

I do however think that pictures with gaping holes, blood, tongues hanging out and just total trash as in the OP,  DO make anti's think less of hunters and give them all sorts of opportunity to use such photos for a "See that these brutal people do to these poor animals?" kind of campaign.

Serious answer:   I misunderstood your point apparently.  The short answer to that question is: no.  

I do however think that pictures with gaping holes, blood, tongues hanging out and just total trash as in the OP,  DO make anti's think less of hunters and give them all sorts of opportunity to use such photos for a "See that these brutal people do to these poor animals?" kind of campaign.

Gotcha.

On the other hand, they can and do use the cleaned up pics for the same type of campaign

Of topic but some think people... like the one who wrote this..would make better choices for our herd with education rather than law!!!!  Yeah, OK!  Pic is fine and part of mgmt but words truly show what your dealing with!

Again, bad apples in any group. Management or picture posters. Youll never get rid of them all. Murdering people is illegal, still happens.

Gotcha.

On the other hand, they can and do use the cleaned up pics for the same type of campaign

That's certainly true, and there's nothing we can do to stop or change that.  I just think we do a disservice to ourselves and the sport by posting blood, holes, and tongues. No sense to giving them any more ammo (pun intended). 

What bothers me is the thought young hunters coming up would think some thing like that is to be looked upon as funny and kewl...There's not enough vulgar blood lust in video games graphic novels and such?..... they should be seeing it where real lives of pry ended...I don't think so...I'm surprised the caption didn't read Mother/sister... :angry:

Not addressed to me but here is my answer..

Its not the Anti's we should be concerned with, its the one's that are indifferent that something like this could get to and cause damage. Anti's will not be swayed reguardless, though this type of thing will fuel them.

I just about replied on the first page but read through all the replies first.

"Its not the Anti's we should be concerned with, its the one's that are indifferent that something like this could get to and cause damage."

you sir have hit the nail squarely on the head!  we know that trying to change the anti hunters mind is not going to happen while we certainly need to keep awareness of the anti hunters because like it or not the numbers between the anti's and hunters are growing closer together. We as hunters are aging, the recruitment of young and upcoming hunters to replace those of us that are aging is FAR less than it was even as recent as 20 years ago.  When the anti's numbers exceed ours we as hunters will be in trouble! not you personally but hunters in general need to remember that fact, and not sure if we will see it our lifetime but I am quite sure my grandkids will certainly have an uphill battle on their hands to keeping the hunting future alive and well.

now about your statement about the indifferent people,,, THIS is where a lot of hunters miss the boat entirely. during my short stint of living in new hampshire I was a huge opponent to the visible while transporting law they had there. basically it was when you were transporting a deer or bear it had to be visible outside the vehicle ( so you couldn't put it in the trunk and close the lid or in the bed of your truck and close the tailgate.)  My biggest issue was not everyone is a hunter, you have 3 groups. anti's, hunters and those setting on the fence of not being a hunter nor an anti hunter but have them setting at a traffic light and pull up behind a vehicle and be staring at the bloody body cavity of a deer or bear and you might have them move over to the anti hunting side.

When I was teaching hunter safety in NH. we talked about care of your animals you shot. I was pretty frank with people about my displeasure of public display of animals. I have been a hunter my whole life and fully understand and lived the meat pole years at camp, but unfortunately times have changed, while still in areas the outside poles are fine as they are not in general public view it irritates me to drive through town and see deer hanging in plain view of the road, Not that we have anything to hide but be respectful to the animal ( you did take its life afterall ) but more importantly be respectful to the public and more importantly don't ever forget about those folks that are setting on the fence.

There is an old saying "actions speak louder than words"  how we as individuals act and converse in the course of our hunting endeavors whether right or wrong reflects on ALL of our brother and sister hunters.  Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy unfortunately. 

• Like 7

The caption is in bad taste and  shows a disregard for the deer taken. I don't think a sportsman would post such garbage.  Hopefully it is just a bad attempt at being funny.   

"Its not the Anti's we should be concerned with, its the one's that are indifferent that something like this could get to and cause damage."

you sir have hit the nail squarely on the head!  we know that trying to change the anti hunters mind is not going to happen while we certainly need to keep awareness of the anti hunters because like it or not the numbers between the anti's and hunters are growing closer together. We as hunters are aging, the recruitment of young and upcoming hunters to replace those of us that are aging is FAR less than it was even as recent as 20 years ago.  When the anti's numbers exceed ours we as hunters will be in trouble! not you personally but hunters in general need to remember that fact, and not sure if we will see it our lifetime but I am quite sure my grandkids will certainly have an uphill battle on their hands to keeping the hunting future alive and well.

now about your statement about the indifferent people,,, THIS is where a lot of hunters miss the boat entirely. during my short stint of living in new hampshire I was a huge opponent to the visible while transporting law they had there. basically it was when you were transporting a deer or bear it had to be visible outside the vehicle ( so you couldn't put it in the trunk and close the lid or in the bed of your truck and close the tailgate.)  My biggest issue was not everyone is a hunter, you have 3 groups. anti's, hunters and those setting on the fence of not being a hunter nor an anti hunter but have them setting at a traffic light and pull up behind a vehicle and be staring at the bloody body cavity of a deer or bear and you might have them move over to the anti hunting side.

When I was teaching hunter safety in NH. we talked about care of your animals you shot. I was pretty frank with people about my displeasure of public display of animals. I have been a hunter my whole life and fully understand and lived the meat pole years at camp, but unfortunately times have changed, while still in areas the outside poles are fine as they are not in general public view it irritates me to drive through town and see deer hanging in plain view of the road, Not that we have anything to hide but be respectful to the animal ( you did take its life afterall ) but more importantly be respectful to the public and more importantly don't ever forget about those folks that are setting on the fence.

There is an old saying "actions speak louder than words"  how we as individuals act and converse in the course of our hunting endeavors whether right or wrong reflects on ALL of our brother and sister hunters.  Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy unfortunately. 

Years ago I was talking with Peter Fiduccia and we were talking about a similar situation.  He told me " it's better to educate then irritate" which is so true.  As hunters we have a responsibility to show/have both respect and compassion for the animals we hunt.

It starts with us!!

Really good post!  There is a growing segment of the hunting/gun rights crowd these days that like to be in everyone's face, however, ala Ted Nugent.   I think they feel that since the other side can say and act anyway they want, they think that this will work for our side, too.  I've got some news for them, though.  It won't!  Way better to act like a civilized human being instead of the chest thumping yahoo.  I can assure anyone that you won't impress anyone other than some other yahoos, by acting that way.

I had a discussion with a business man one evening regarding hunting. At the end we agreed that it was not hunting, but it was the  hunters that he objected  to.

I was told by a young woman that she'd rather a deer starve then be shot by a hunter, and if it wasn't for hunters she would not have had a job.

The above was some time  back, but our image today is worse. I have friends (Limbaugh conservatives)  some who fish, but think hunters have no skill except to shoot a baited animal, or in a baited field(taught by tv).. I hear ore and more conservatives, not all from down here, are not in our corner and that is scarey for the future. We are losing ground rapidly.

Recently a L.I. newspaper had a letter from a reader who wrote that hunters should be allowed to bait and shoot deer on L.I. I got his point, but it would appear to the public that we can't even shoot a backyard deer without help(BAIT). It'd be like shooting birds out of a bird feeder in my yard, which is how many will see it.

We all know that anti hunters and anti gun people read our sites and then use our words to fight us. We don't read their sites, but they read ours. Having a pro hunter quote an anti is fine, but these people can point directly at our words and pictures and let the reader see it for themselves, rather then interpret.

More antis are  bird watching, apple picking,wildlife photographing, hiking, snowmobiling and otherwise using the woods. We are not the only ones supporting  businesses in "hunting areas", and spending money on wildlife .

So when I see a picture, on line, with that caption it   just substantiates that we, often times, invite criticism. Hunters have lost, and are continuing to lose, the RESPECT that we deserve.

I'm ranting because in the last year, since the gun control debates, I have seen more and more antis become vocal against hunters.And more and more people that were in our corner turn from us. I'll  get to hunt until my end, but I'm not so sure about our future generations.

• Like 1

They can't do with out us. No matter how the anti's would love it, it isn't happening. They can't fund school books, can you imagine them doing contraception of NY's deer herd. It is in poor taste for sure but Hunting is going nowhere. You are more likely to find yourself hunting with a single shot before anything happened to outlaw hunting.