Sales Commission?

Just curious. I'm planning to list my hunting land upstate. I spoke to an agent and was told that their standard commission is 8%. Does that sound right to you all? I've never sold property before, but thought that rate sounded a bit high.

Its typically higher than if you were selling your home. In a lot of cases a piece of land may sell for $70k vs $150k for a house.

If I were you id give it a try yourself first. It could take awhile. Exposure is key and with the web (heck u could probably sell it on here) you can have the same exposure affect as a realtor.

standard is 7% and gets divided between the seller and buyers agent, you can easily negotiate it to 5% total, I have bought and sold a decent amount of real estate, another tactic I use is when I get a lower offer than my list price I tell the agents to each take a cut from there commission to make the deal happen, they don't make much off of land so they are more than happy to just get something and get rid of the listing, as others mentioned exposure is the key to selling quick, this is hard to do on your own since agents monopolize the MLS, if the market is hot at your location you can try the FSBO thing but I wouldn't recommend it

For those that have asked, the details are: 20 acres surrounded on three sides by state forest. 14x14 cabin with loft, front deck, wired for lights, has outhouse. Good deer and turkey hunting. Cortland county. A few minutes from rt81. Timber potential. Finger Lakes hiking and snow mobile trails adjacent to the property. Never tried it, but I've heard there's excellent coyote hunting as well. Asking 59k.

If you don't use an RE agent, you may be able to use half of the commission as a negotiating tool. In some cases, the selling agent can get the entire 6%. I bought without an agent and the selling agent fell right in line. Basically you tell them you are willing to come in with no agent provided they push to get you the price you want. Don't believe the hype about having your own agent represent you. That's what you're lawyer is for.

If you don't use an RE agent, you may be able to use half of the commission as a negotiating tool. In some cases, the selling agent can get the entire 6%. I bought without an agent and the selling agent fell right in line. Basically you tell them you are willing to come in with no agent provided they push to get you the price you want. Don't believe the hype about having your own agent represent you. That's what you're lawyer is for.

Unless it's the agents listing as a broker, they will be splitting the commission.