Best caliber for girlfriend?

518BowSlayer

Want to get her a rifle this year but wasn't sure what caliber to get. Need something with enough power to take down deer but wont knock her off the treestand. She shoots a 20 gauge with turkey loads in it no problem but she's a small girl. Not looking for real long distance shots (200yds max if that). Was thinking maybe a .270 but was wondering what you guys thought.

You know, usually I see headlines like "best caliber for elk" or "best caliber for moose".  When I saw "best caliber for girlfriend"....

I'd recommend .243, 30-30, or the 7mm08 as previously suggested.  Of the 3, the 7mm kicks the hardest but still a lot less than a 270.  270's still kicks as much as a 308.

• Like 2

7-08

What action are we talking because a semi will reduce recoil a lot too. Or you may want to consider a 7-08 semi, reasonably light weight and minimal recoil. Gun weight is important for most lady's or guys like Wny.

Let's take bets on how long it takes him to see that shot. Lol

X2, on the gun weight also type of stock and recoil system.

There's nothing wrong with a .243 for deer sized game IF you use bullets designed for big game rather than varmints. Generally suitable bullets for deer are from 85 to 100 grains.

The 30-30 is has been killing deer for over 100 years at woods ranges , probably 200 yards max.

However MOST rifles offered in this caliber are lever action carbines, and the triggers are generally not as good as modern bolt action rifles.

All things considered, probably the best choice is the 7MM08. Mild recoil, flat shooting, enough bullet weight for adequate penetration at any angle and a readily available selection of factory loads. There are many servicable, accurate , moderately priced bolt actions available in this caliber.

The next category of chamberings, such as the .270, .280, .308 and 30-06 have noticably more recoil and muzzle blast than the 7MM08 while delivering similar terminal performance on deer sized game.

• Like 2

Oh that's right. We forgot you had a girly caliber too.

We don't have a 257.

My Dad and I use wby 270 mag or wby 7mm mag when we go out west. In NY I'm in shotgun only. We do have a weatherby in 243 also, as well as a 300wby mag that we never use.  All of the guns with the exception of the 7mm mag are from the 60's. They were my grandpa's, now my Dad's and mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Hehehehe..The .257 WBY ain't no GIRLY caliber...

It's like a 25-06 on STEROIDS... Probably one of the best LONG RANGE deer and antelope chamberings out there.

However, there is a price to pay for that performance..It needs a 26" barrel and it burns a lot of powder. It's also chambered in expensive rifles that simply DRIP with snob appeal.

If you are into long range riflery ( over 400 yards) that is it's specialty, along with all the rest of the Weatherby mags.

For most of us, hunting at normal ranges where most of us shoot game, there are many less expensive, more efficient, and practical options.

• Like 1

I'm an admirer of the .260 Rem and it's ballistic twin, the 6.5 x 55 (6.5 Swede)..

What makes the 7MM08 a better choice is the fact it offers FAR more options for rifle choice and ammo.

Not too many choices out there for the .260 or Swede...

They are both sweet calibers, though, and performance on game is very similar to the 7MM08.

I have had personal experience with the .260..I had one in a Rem XP100 pistol and killed half a dozen deer with it.

Hehehehe..The .257 WBY ain't no GIRLY caliber...

It's like a 25-06 on STEROIDS... Probably one of the best LONG RANGE deer and antelope chamberings out there.

However, there is a price to pay for that performance..It needs a 26" barrel and it burns a lot of powder. It's also chambered in expensive rifles that simply DRIP with snob appeal.

If you are into long range riflery ( over 400 yards) that is it's specialty, along with all the rest of the Weatherby mags.

For most of us, hunting at normal ranges where most of us shoot game, there are many less expensive, more efficient, and practical options.

I know....Just cant resist to give Biz a shot knowing the WBY will be introduced by him in any thread discussing caliber or guns...lol

• Like 1