Preference Points for out of state Hunting

BizCT

Just wondering who here buys preference points each year for game outside of New York? If so, what species, states, unit, etc.  I think Pygmy and a few other people have mentioned they apply for draws/points out of state.

I'm heading to Wyoming in October for Mule Deer/Antelope, but after that I have nothing planned (except for a wedding/honeymoon in 2015).

I am trying to think ahead and decide what I might want to do in say 3-5+ years from now, so I am just trying to get some ideas.

Thanks in advance.

I forgot to mention that I apply every year for the PA elk tag, but I will probably die before I am picked.

Started last year in Iowa for whitetail.  I would like to kill one of those average 150"ers.

Bow or Gun?  When is the season?

My biggest issue is that I can only get 2 days off from work in November and 2 days off from work in December. Therefore, I am always trying to find September or October hunts.

All available right here: http://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/NonresidentHunting.aspx

My recollection Biz is that you buy just the points now and if you wait until you have 3, you have a very strong likelihood of being selected for whatever season you choose, but it is zone dependent.

Thanks. Unfortunately, the Iowa shotgun seasons are in December, so it wouldnt work for me. I wouldn't want to limit myself to just a few days in Iowa.

Thanks. Unfortunately, the Iowa shotgun seasons are in December, so it wouldnt work for me. I wouldn't want to limit myself to just a few days in Iowa.

Easy solution, start shooting a vertical bow, although weatherby doesn't make any.  lol Just threw that in for Culver's sake.

• Like 1

Easy solution, start shooting a vertical bow, although weatherby doesn't make any.  lol Just threw that in for Culver's sake.

LOL.  I could go to Ohio with my Xbow, but haven't really looked into yet.

I'd like to hunt Elk, but a good size bull is huge and takes up a ton of space.

I'd like to hunt any of the 4 Sheep, but the prices are absurd.

I'd like to hunt Grizzly Bear, but the prices are absurd.

Sometimes there are other ways to do it. Montana it used to be hard to get a non resident deer tag,like 12% one year... But if you put in for a elk/deer combo you had a 66% chance of getting that. Cost a little more but it worked for me.

Also after the tags are issued and the months go by some guys can no longer go and can get a prorated refund,well their tags go back into a pool that most guys did not know of......once they had the first drawing that was it these tags did not go to the next inline,but to those who called and asked. IIRC.

One needs to talk to the dec/dnr of the state to learn of said methods.

Some species aren't worth waiting to draw....take Moose for example, you could apply to Maine for years and never get drawn and if you do, it wouldn't be much less than a hunt in Newfoundland that you could take whenever you want with greater odds of getting one...

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

Ive applied for the moose lottery in VT,NH and Maine. It took me 9 years to draw in Vermont,Still waiting in the other 2 states.One point about Maine,If your willing to settle for a Cow tag,You might get drawn a lot sooner than just holding out for a bull tag.

i buy preference points for bighorn sheep and shiras moose in Wyoming.. I think i have 8 or 9 for each.. the points max out at 15, and best drawing odds are when you have near the maximum points. i figure they will be once in a lifetime hunts. I also apply for a maine moose tag

That's awesome. I really want to get a sheep. Seems like the Arizona sheep tag is once in a lifetime too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just read where Wyoming is looking to reduce the amount of tags available to non-residents.  If that happens it will only increase the number of points required to draw, but I've never really looked into Wyoming's point system.  I plan to start applying for the Kentucky elk hunts also.  They have the largest herd in the east and the odds are better than PA. 

I'm collecting points for Iowa as well. While I could certainly kill whitetails here, there's just something about being in the best state possible to chase the dream.

I haven't met a person who has hunted bow season in Iowa and said "It wasn't worth it."

• Like 1

I'm going to start applying for an Arizona turkey tag this year. I'd love to kill a Gould's turkey, but don't want to travel to Mexico to do it.

When I was in Arizona on my lion hunt, I took a pic of these turkeys. But I believe they are Merriams.

post-871-0-05930000-1392399003_thumb.jpg

How about caribou? Its on my list but once again it falls into that expensive category

Price isn't bad depending on what type of caribou. I just don't have much interest in them nor the space one would take up on my wall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk