Alaska reality show

First-light

Last night I watched one of those shows. They were taking shots at bears

High up on a ridge. They expected the bear to roll down the hill to them when hit.

One bear was wounded and others were shot at and never checked to see if they were hit.

I couldn't believe how these people were hunting. Just wonderful how hunting for survival is portrayed!

Last night I watched one of those shows. They were taking shots at bears

High up on a ridge. They expected the bear to roll down the hill to them when hit.

One bear was wounded and others were shot at and never checked to see if they were hit.

I couldn't believe how these people were hunting. Just wonderful how hunting for survival is portrayed!

LOL, Or dragging a calf across a river by horse and rope.  I think its kind of a cool show if its really a way of life. Can you imagine being stuck up there for what 8 months of winter each year?  Or is it another Amish Mafia show.   You are right on the shot making or not of making. lol

Alaska the Last Frontier.  Awesome show.  Those bear shots were a bit sketchy.  But, there were a couple of episodes recently where they were deer hunting and it was portrayed in a much better fashion.

I saw that and totally agree-thanks for bringing that up. 

although the bear hunting looked bad, it's not a hunting show....we honestly don't know if they spent zero time or 10 hours on the follow up...........I did some internet searches on that show and the people on it , they're millionaires, as a matter of fact, the one familys daughter is the singer Jewel.

• Like 1

although the bear hunting looked bad, it's not a hunting show....we honestly don't know if they spent zero time or 10 hours on the follow up...........I did some internet searches on that show and the people on it , they're millionaires, as a matter of fact, the one familys daughter is the singer Jewel.

You kinda mean like the guy that plays Lebanon Levy on the Amish Mafia cashes his 15 grand a week paycheck at a bank one of our deer farmers friends wife's works at down in Pa?  lol       Its hard to tell whats real anymore on tv thats for sure.  Well, not real hard for a few of them.

Never saw this show but I ll say this,all these shows are fake ,as in scripted reshot , just plain made up etc.

Take Pawn Stars the highest rated one of them all. You have never seen a real transaction on the show, actors and tourists who are asked if they want to be on the show,given an item and told what to ask and say. The kid you yelled at for selling his grampas war metals,did not.

I've heard the confidentially laws forbid recording of transactions in L.V. Pawn shops,not 100 % sure of that but it would explain the actors and tourist being used.

If you go there,you'll find t shirts,coffee mugs and autographed photos, under the glass counters you won't find many Super Bowl rings or Rolex watches,but largely junk.

Edited by Larry302

I watch Survival: Alaska and enjoy it even though the show is so scripted and fake it isn't even funny.  The contestants will hike and all of a sudden come to a cliff and decide to rappel down would be the quickest way.  All of a sudden they have safety helmets on when leading up to the cliff, they never had any.  Or when they accidentally fall into the river, there just so happens to be an underwater camera there to capture the fall right when it happens.  Still it's entertaining to watch.

I guess the show being talked about is Alaska the Last Frontier with the Kilcher family. I love the show, but I really have to wonder where all the ATVs, tractors, gasoline, top of the line guns, tarps, and fishing poles, etc., etc., all comes from. The theory of the show is that they are several generations of subsistence farmers. They have a few cattle, but is that enough to supply them with all that stuff? Just for the sake of entertainment, I pretend that it is ..... lol.

I guess the show being talked about is Alaska the Last Frontier with the Kilcher family. I love the show, but I really have to wonder where all the ATVs, tractors, gasoline, top of the line guns, tarps, and fishing poles, etc., etc., all comes from. The theory of the show is that they are several generations of subsistence farmers. They have a few cattle, but is that enough to supply them with all that stuff? Just for the sake of entertainment, I pretend that it is ..... lol.

Are we to believe that their famous family and wealthy kin (Jewel) did not provide in any way?

Atz Kilchers daughter.........

Thats interesting.  Had no idea.  I am working on a case with someone who got to know Eustace on Mountain Men.  He really does live like they portray, BUT, he acknowledged that most of the drama on the show is fabricated, including the foreclosure on the property where he had to ride his horse to town to defend himself.  lol  I guess even a mountain man needs to make a living.

I was told that when my friend asked him how he decided when to use modern implements vs. those from 150 years ago he said "well Steve, common sense."  He does not have electricity on the property.  Steve had dinner with him there and stayed the night.  Also, when asked whether he was a mountain man, he responded "well I am a man and I live on a mountain, so I guess I am a mountain man."  Pretty funny.  I was also told, he is well educated.  But take all the drama on those shows for what its worth.

Edited by moog5050

But take all the drama on those shows for what its worth.

Well, I suppose we have to keep in mind that it is entertainment. I suspect that if you followed someone around that lived a fairly primitive life, it would be very difficult to make a weekly show out of such boredom. So there has to be some fabrication involved. The trick is to simply enjoy these kinds of programs for what they are intended to be .... simply entertainment.

However, it is entertainment to make fun of some of the drama that has been manufactured. I remember the Alaskan that ran the fly-in trapline had a snowmobile breakdown miles and miles from his cabin and was supposedly in potential grave danger as he was forced to walk all night to get back to camp. Forced to walk out??? Why not grab a ride with the guy running the camera .... ha-ha. And then there are the occasions where supposedly he is making a first trip out after a big storm, and yet he is riding on a well tracked-up snowmobile trail. But I guess we are not supposed to notice that .... lol. Ok, I can play along with that. I still enjoy some of these programs because I believe there is some truth in how these guys live, and I try not to dwell too hard on how much of that stuff is real.

I think the most realistic out of all of them is Survivorman since he is the only one that is truly out there on his own filming all himself.  He shows how he does it and it's pretty grueling.  He'll hike up a hill, setup a camera up there, hike back down, and then hike back up again with his backpack on just so he can get footage of himself climbing up a hill.  But even he admits that even though he is out there on his own, some of it is partially scripted.  He receive local expert advice.  They do advanced scouting and weather tracking.  Those abandoned shacks or caves he stumbles onto is not by chance.